1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Newbie athiest here

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by coolbeanz123, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Well recently I have been scared of death alot lately ... so I searched and found this site. I am an athiest in that I don't really have a religion ... I do believe there is a god of some type , but not one religion actually explains .

My grand ma passed away in 2005 and has been on my mind every now and then since then. I wonder where she is and what its like.

I also spoke with a friend and asked them what they think happens after death and they said you cease to exist, like sleeping and before you were born .... that thought scares me indefinitely ...

Anyways , if anyone has any links or reads or studies that are interested, please feel free to post them over in my thread! Eager to learn more !:D

2. Richard

Richard New Member

Welcome coolbeanz123, you are not an athiest, you just don't believe in religion, however you have an intuitive belief that there must must be a universal consciousness or god out there. You are a lot like me in your beliefs. Visit this site you will find a great deal of info, and I am sure you will be hearing from other members as well!

3. Truth seeker

Truth seeker Active Member

Welcome Coolbeanz123, download the free e-book about scientifical proof of the afterlife on the victor zammit website at http://victorzammit.com

4. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Welcome CoolBeanz! I'm glad you've joined us here! I think you'll find a lot of interesting stuff here! I agree with Richard though, technically an atheist is someone who does not believe in God. You can certainly believe in God without religion.

Please don't worry about death, dear friend! It is a wonderful journey that we will all have to take, but it doesn't happen until we are ready! Know this - you will NEVER cease to exist! Death is just like switching trains or planes. You'll still be you and still be aware, just headed in a different direction!

I hope this helps!

5. Carol and Mikey

Carol and Mikey Golden Hearts

Welcome aboard CoolBeanz!
    I work with a guy who always has told me he is athiest. States he does not believe in any greater "Force". Super nice and loving man who does great work with his patients. (I work at a Rehab Center that is connected to a hospital.) One day I asked him, " you are so nice and caring with everyone you meet. Patients love you! Working with you is a pleasure! Do you believe in love?" He said, "Of course I do! Love is so important!" I said , "Well, then actually you do believe in God because God is Love and Love is God! It has nothing to do with religion! He looked at me and started to laugh! He said, you know, you have caught my attention! I said, "when I see you in Heaven, we will discuss it more! And I will say I told you so! " We had a good laugh. My point is that how we act and treat others is really what is important. :)
    We will all be "hanging out in Heaven someday!"
    Carol

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Truly wonderful post, dear Carol! I think a lot of people really do fail to see that God is Love - and that is perhaps the most crucial fact that can be learned through studying the afterlife.

7. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Dear CoolBeanz, welcome! (I had a friend in school who used to use that term - haven't heard it in decades - thanks for making me smile!)

As others have said here, you are not an atheist. Technically, you are an agnostic - one who doesn't know whether God exists, but is open-minded about it. And to be frank, a fear of death may be a good thing, since it prompts us to investigate what death actually is, and in doing that we eventually become convinced that we are eternal beings and that death is just an illusion... and we begin a really glorious spiritual journey. The Resources tab at funofdying.com has a study guide of about sixty books which will give you a place to begin your reading. I urge you to read at least Your Eternal Self and Life In the World Unseen, both of which are available for free on the internet.

The answers do exist, and they will satisfy you and will quiet your fears. I promise you that! You just will need to do a bit of reading. As Jesus says, “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door is opened.” (LK 11:9-10) Big hug, dear CoolBeanz, and let us know how you are doing!

8. TheAstonMartian

TheAstonMartian Inactive

I was an atheist too for a while and really went into heated debates with others but I guess the types of books I read had more to do with philosophy and metaphysics that eventually lead me to this model of "monistic idealism" where all is one and consciousness prevails matter. I still dislike dogma for what it did to me but now I am open-minded to possibilities. Congrats on being here!

9. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Dear friends, at this point there is abundant evidence that both theists and atheists are wrong. What actually, provably exists is an energy-like potentiality without size or form that is infinitely powerful, infinitely creative, and (wonderfully!) infinitely loving, and of which each of our minds is a part. Some researchers call it consciousness; I prefer to call it Mind. And in fact, Mind is the only thing that exists ;-)!

10. TheAstonMartian

TheAstonMartian Inactive

True Roberta! Very beautifully said. However, the thing is that evolution makes sense in its context. The world is not a loving expression. There's a saying about the animal kingdom.

“Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running.”

One of the issues I have is that we kill bacteria everyday when we brush our teeth. We eat meat or plants which may have been killed violently, and in a pain inducing manner. Even though consciousness prevails, we still have to kill to survive, so I am not sure if we feel all that in the life review since we know that bacteria is a life form, and we kill it.