1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

New TV show - Long Island Medium

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by Birki, Sep 26, 2011.

1. cleodoggie

cleodoggie New Member

Shortly after Jim died I went to see a medium for a reading. This woman was recommended by my sister in law. She told me many things but when she said he was laughing at me climbing out of the window of my car I couldn't believe it. Only him and I knew about this....how could she know unless she was really in contact with him???????

2. mac

mac Staff Member

May I ask you to compare my story with your own?

Our baby son passed over at birth. Some time later I was with a new friend I knew as a medium. She knew nothing of my son's details although she did know he had died. I was just beginning my learning at that point and I helped organize her demonstrations and development group meetings. We two were together one evening and chatted about what had brought us together some months earlier. (another story in itself) As we spoke she appeared to be dropping into her role as a medium. She began to tell me about the circumstances of our son's birth and death. I had been trying to find answers and felt privileged my friend was (I thought) about to help.

She went into light trance and accurately told me in detail what happened. Only my wife and I knew those exact details. She didn't claim to be linking with a discarnate (mediumship) but neither did she tell me she wasn't and she didn't go beyond the details I already knew. Anyone inexperienced might have thought it was mediumship, that the information was from the world of the spirit. Initially I had thought that myself but later the penny dropped that it was no more than psychic reading.

I felt hurt and disappointed she'd done that to me, her supposed friend. Now I urge caution about what all practitioners say until the seeker understands what's being given.

3. sarah4810

sarah4810 New Member

I love the Long Island Medium Show. She touches peoples lives and almost every episode gets me teary eyed. Sometimes she is absolutely incredible! She had a reading with skeptics who hid things around their home, she told them stuff was and what the items were. It was crazy. Another episode she asked the guy "Do you like to sing? For some reason I'm hearing the National Anthem" (please don't quote me verbatim, it was last season). Turns out, the day before he was singing the National Anthem in his house.

Other reading's aren't so profound, and you never know how much is edited, but I personally think she's the real deal.

4. mac

mac Staff Member

Based on your account, she's a psychic carrying out psychic reading. But unless there's a spiritual component - communication with spirit entities - for me it's not mediumship.

When I get back, I'll try to watch the show if our cable network carries the channel she's on.

5. Sarah4810,
    I'm sorry for the negative experience you had with the medium. The Forever Family Foundation has a list of mediums that have been tested, among which is Teresa Caputo, the Long Island Medium. http://www.foreverfamilyfoundation.org/certifiedmediums
    They reside all over the U.S. I spoke with the Director of that program, Phran Ginsberg, yesterday, and the organization is affiliated with Dr. Gary Schwartz, who is dedicated to scientific validation of the mediums.

Mac,
    Entire episodes of this show are now on youtube, available if you do a search on Teresa Caputo or Long Island Medium. Here is one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc7JU_BQcEw

Some of what she says is typical cold reading: "Do you have a grandmother who has passed? Does she have grey hair?"' However, she often mentions getting very specific information from "her guides." At times, she will say things like "your mother is so excited that she is jumping up and down, or your grandfather is jiggling his keys," which suggests clairvoyance. If, as Vic has said, only 3% of what comes through is evidential, and mediums get only 70% right if they are good, then the odds overall with mediums are not very strong, right? In terms of your experience,
    In terms of your experience, I can understand why you felt deceived; but is there a possibility that this was not deliberate and that possibly she thought she was getting the information from her spirit guides?
    Moreover, if this information is coming from the akashic records, then does this not reflect the collective unconscious, which we are all a part of, including the one who has passed? Are we not all part of this one source? Sorry if I have offended, as this was not my intention.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  6. mac

mac Staff Member

I'll take a look. As I stressed what I wrote in answer was based on what our member had written - and sounded to me like psychism. I accept I hadn't seen the full show and that's what I wrote what I did about watching for myself. I can judge from my own experience what may be evidential mediumship and what appears to be psychic reading. Practitioners are known to use either technique, sometimes deliberately to get a flagging communication 'back on track', sometimes inadvertently because they don't know the difference between mediumship and psychic reading. I don't know how this practitioner works and even a TV programme may not be representative because of distortion from editing.

Moving into Akashic records (unsubstantiated) is going way too far and introducing an element of mystery. I like the principle of 'KISS' - keep it simple sweetie.

And, please! You can't offend mac by challenging what I write. :D My principle is 'If you can't support and defend what you say, then don't say it." If I get anything wrong, I'm upset because of me and not offended by the one who showed me where I was wrong.... :cool:

7. My understanding is that psychic reading is possible because the medium is tapping into the akashic records. How is another interpretation of psychic reading more simple or substantiated, rather than unsubstantiated, as you say?

8. mac

mac Staff Member

Psychic reading is reading the psyche of the sitter/enquirer. The so-called, unsubstantiated Akashic Records are not psychic reading.

9. I'm really trying to figure this out. How does one "read the psyche of the sitter"? Where exactly does the reader obtain the information, if not from what you say are "unsubstantiated" Akashic records or a collective unconscious (Edgar Cayce, no?)? The auric field of the sitter?:confused:

10. mac

mac Staff Member

yes That's why the information can be so detailed, specific and recent.