1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

New here

Discussion in 'NDE The near-death-experience forum' started by Katieb1992, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Katieb1992

Katieb1992 New Member

hi all, I’m 25 and recently a young lady of the same age at the time passed away, she was 20 weeks pregnant and had a cardiac arrest..she wasn’t a close friend but somebody I knew.. when she died it triggered me thinking about things I’ve never thought About.. I worried about death as a child and have had fleeting thoughts about it in my life but always distracted myself and told myself there’s no point worrying and that life is what it is.

We’ll ever since this lady died around 2 months ago nearly, I’ve been consumed with thoughts about what happens.. I’ve found myself constantly researching stories about nde’s, about what consciousness actually is..
    I tell myself that really.. even scientists, know nothing.. everything we know is physical.. and there are things there are no explanation for and I feel like I truly believe in something bigger than this.
    Then I have moments of thinking maybe nde’s are just the brain starting to shut down, that I am as I am purely because of chemicals in my brain..
    I’m so back and forth on it that I think I just needed to talk to other people that might have gone through the same thing x

2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Welcome Katie! Here are some things that you should know as you begin what is going to be a wonderful journey:

1) Mainstream scientists have no idea about anything related to consciousness, death, or the afterlife. They must stay true to a materialist dogma that will not permit them to study anything that might lead to the possible discovery of God, so they cannot study the afterlife or anything spiritual. If they defy this basic scientific frame, they will be denied publication in peer-reviewed journals and faculty seats at universities. This has been going on for the past century, believe it or not. By now, it is getting old!

2) Independent researchers have found abundant and consistent afterlife evidence, and have all drawn basically the same conclusions. There is not even a slight disagreement, Katie: the fact that human consciousness is eternal has been demonstrated beyond doubt.

3) You can find the truth for yourself! My book, The Fun of Dying, is a summary of our current state of understanding, and it includes an annotated bibliography that you might read through; if you can't afford the book, contact me through robertagrimes.com.

4) Regulars on this website are very knowledgeable, and if you ask questions you should be able to get good answers.

I hope this helps!

3. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

The experience of hearing of the death of your acquaintance and her developing baby re-awakened both your fears and your interest in what happens after we pass over. Here on ALF you may hear from others who share similar fears and interest even if for different reasons.

My suggestion for anyone beginning a search for understanding is to take baby steps - the subject is BIG and can seem baffling. Been there, done that, collected all the tee shirts!

If you're a reader then read all you can. Folk will recommend or suggest material they've found helpful - see what appeals to you. If you're not a reader then it's less easy. But may I suggest just one thing? Leave near death accounts (NDE) at the bottom of the pile. Near death isn't death - that's pretty obvious but it needs saying to reinforce the point. The NDE issue can wait - it's not important to someone just stating UNLESS they've had one or have been affected by someone else's. NDE can confuse - some folk think death and near-death as very similar. They ain't!

And welcome to ALF. :)

4. Katieb1992

Katieb1992 New Member

Thankyou :)
    Do you believe it is possible to think there is an afterlife without believeing in god In a way of the bible/heaven/hell? I know I believe in something but I can’t put my finger on what it is I just feel like there’s something bigger

5. mac

Well I do so I guess anyone else can.... ;)

Do some research, see what you come up with. Maybe then you'll find evidence of what you're seeking and not simply have faith/hope/belief in it... :)

Take a look at the resources I've compiled. Take a look at the titles of the books Roberta has written. She'll even send you a .pdf version of 'The Fun Of Dying' if you ask her. Read some of the threads here - they go back quite a time so skim through 'em.

Have a look at your local newspaper's 'Diary Dates' or whatever and see what local Spiritualist churches are near you and then take a trip on a clairvoyance demonstration evening, sometimes weekdays, often Saturdays. Sundays are Divine Service evenings and who knows, you might like to try one of them. https://www.snu.org.uk/Pages/Events/Category/churches

Tuesdays and Thursdays are often healing nights, well worth trying for the peace they can bring to a troubled mind.

Any of those suggestions would get you started.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  6. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Welcome to the website, Katie. You will find a variety of differing opinions from individuals here, on pretty much any topic related to the afterlife, god, death, life, etc. My advice is to consider what everyone posts, and see which ideas and opinions feel right to you. Think more about those which do feel right to you, and set aside or discard those which don't.
    Regarding your question I quoted above -- it is absolutely possible to believe in the existence of an afterlife without believing in a god (just as it is possible to believe in both, or in neither). I am agnostic verging on atheist regarding the possible existence of any sort of "god" or "source" or whatever people want to call it, and if it does exist at all I do not believe it is the Judeo-Christian bible/heaven/hell version of god. I am agnostic regarding the existence of an afterlife, in large part because I desperately hope one exists so that my beloved husband and I can be together again, as we should be. In any case, I definitely believe an afterlife may exist without a god necessarily existing.

7. Widdershins3

Widdershins3 Active Member

Welcome, Katie! I lack a strong belief in a God like one in the Bible, but I've now seen a ghost and read hundreds of books on the survival of the soul after "death" and I do know (not believe) now that we all survive death, whether we believe or not. Due to the apparent fact that most people see what they expect to see immediately after dying, some have reported a traditional Christian God on a throne. But that may be their strong personal bias operating and, as they gradually fully awaken to life after death, they may move out of what one researcher called "The Belief Territories" and into one of the many levels of the afterlife.

Some of the most advanced souls who've communicated with us here say that God is literally everything. The Spiritualists refer to God as "limitless intelligence" which resonates well with my understanding at this point. They say we eventually merge completely with it, once we've moved through many levels of spiritual development. So I have no need or desire to believe in a God at this point in my life.

allan and Amore like this.
  8. Storybud68

Storybud68 Member

just curious about near death experiences are they anything to do with death?if not anyone any ideas what may cause them?

9. mac

Anything to do with death? Many think so - look in my 'Resources' section for links to NDE accounts, studies etc. for ideas about what may cause 'em.....

10. Storybud68

Storybud68 Member

ok thanks mac I will do that cheers

11. mac

12. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

Hallelujah!!!
    This supports what has been my continuous claim. We do not die. I used to be fooled by what I see, but I have been set free from the smothering grip this earth used to have on my thoughts. We only change locations in the infinity of Conscious Being.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  13. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Those that we used to think were dead tell us that actually NDEs have nothing to do with death. Many who have them are nowhere near dying, and many of those who nearly die and are revived don't have them. They are an altogether different phenomenon!

genewardsmith likes this.
  14. STEVEN LEVEE

STEVEN LEVEE Member

Hi Katie,
    Go read "Voices in the Dark" which is a book about a Physical Medium named Leslie Flint. Then, go listen to his spirit recordings on YouTube. It is a very informative way to start your research. Enjoy your journey!
    I'm new to this forum too. I know Mac from a different forum, though. He invited me over here. You are where I was about 14 years ago. You are going to be amazed at what you find out about the fact that we are all eternal spirits visiting the physical plane for a relatively short while...for the advancement of our true selves...before we go back home where we came/come from:)

genewardsmith and kim marine like this.
  15. mac

Glad you got the Captcha screening sorted - I hadn't seen your posting until just this evening - didn't receive a notification and hadn't visited the website recently - not much to visit for. Welcome to ALF :)

16. STEVEN LEVEE

STEVEN LEVEE Member

Hi Mac...I think the problem was with the computer I was on at the time...
    ALF:)! I like it!
    I see there's 13 members...I wonder how you get more.
    More newbies would be good...
    I will look around the site today...
    Be well,
    Steve

17. mac

Hello Steve

I've had problem using Captcha on several occasions elsewhere so who knows if that computer of yours was to blame?

Yeah ALF trips off the tongue nicely and has caught on. Don't be misled, though, by the member list you see. That shows a few members with the highest number of postings combined from both new and old versions of of ALF. Each week there are a few new registrations although those new members may not become active contributors or make only a few postings.

Hope you find some threads here to interest you - there are plenty to go at.

18. Storybud68

Storybud68 Member

just curious guys if a near death experience has nothing to do with death I would really like to know what they actually are?any views on this very welcome.

19. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

NDEs are to encourage spiritual growth or to raise the Consciousness of this planet. I don't believe there is any such thing as death, and it is a technical error to call them Near Death Experiences. Although I have had a Near Death Experience and tell others that I had a Near Death Experience I don't think it gives an accurate description of the life, or sense of being, that these bodies encase. It is just a casual human term that our society has become comfortable with using in talking about experiences of life away from the body, and I don't want to upset the apple cart over something as ordinary as the words I speak. I'd rather BE like Christ, or the unifying spirit, in every way that I am able and to the best of my ability. I know that "Christ" is just a word too, but that is all I know when I live on this earth. Words are so petty in the eternal realm of spirit.

During my NDE I didn't want to return to live here, but I was always being encouraged to do so in order to grow spiritually or raise my vibration. An NDE is different for each person and different things are experienced. This is the only realm of existence that unites every vibe of Consciousness', or God's, sense of Being. I feel that is why we are having a physical experience and seem separate.

20. mac

We've covered this question before. Near death is exactly what it suggests, a condition that to all intents and purposes resembles actual death to the onlooker. Exactly what a near-death-experience is will vary from person to person as will the outcome of the experience but there are many commonalities. Research the recorded accounts for details.

But what NDEs are not, for all their variations, for all the richness of the experiences, is death. The experiences related by those who have lived through an NDE may be very similar to those actually experienced by those who we say 'pass over' BUT the near-death experiencers return to give in-the-flesh accounts of what they can recall of the event. Those who pass over don't.

The common mistake is to assume near-death experiences give a deep insight into what it's like to be 'dead'. They may give some insight but from what we've heard about death from those who live on elsewhere, it is only a small insight.

Like visiting Disney World and thinking you have gained a deep insight into what the USA is like - or visiting London and thinking that's how the whole of the UK is!:D;)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    kim marine likes this.