1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

new here

Discussion in 'member introductions' started by LunaKat, May 9, 2011.

1. LunaKat

LunaKat New Member

I have been reading this forum for about a week and it seems really great. I've been reading NDEs for years and while most of my questions seem resolved theres always some that linger. So I figured I would join and am really happy to be here.

One question I have concerns that there are so few NDEs reported here from countries like India and Hindu is one of the worlds oldest religions --if not *the* oldest. I'm not Hindu myself so its not about that. I just think there should be some. Or if there are NDEs from China? Other places in the world? I was raised Catholic, left that religion 30 years ago, was in a charismatic type religion only a couple years and since then have been in women's spirituality and the Goddess. I would love to know if anyone knows of NDEs from religions outside of Christianity and the West. Or knows where there are accounts of pagan NDEs?

Looking forward to learning from you all :)

2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Hello LunaKat - We are delighted to have you here! Your question about NDEs in various cultures is one that I also have asked, and it seems to have an interesting (and, in retrospect, perhaps obvious) answer. Copious NDEs are an artifact of western medicine. While there probably always have been a person or two in any generation who came near to dying - perhaps of a high fever - and came back to talk about a tunnel, a light, meetings with light-beings, and all the rest, these were very rare oddities. It was only with the advent of western life-support and revival techniques in the mid-twentieth-century that we began to see many people who had been clinically dead (or nearly so) revived and returned to health. It is no accident that it wasn't until 1977 that Dr. Raymond Moody wrote Life After Life and coined the term Near-Death Experience! Before the 1960s, NDEs were so little reported that when Dr. Moody first came across the phenomenon as a young medical resident he tells us he was astounded by it.

So it would make sense that NDEs would be rare in countries where western medical care might be available to very few. But there is another death-related experience which has been studied in volume in America and in India, and has been found to be completely consistent across cultures.

Just as NDEs in volume are an artifact of western civilization, so a dearth of reported deathbed visions is likewise typical of advanced societies. Before the advent of antibiotics, it was common for young people to die of infections at home, unsedated, and over a period of several days; and these people often had spectacular visions of the place where they would soon be going! It appears from evidence that every person undergoing a natural death is surrounded by dead loved ones as the end approaches, and it is only the fact that so many people in the west are sedated as they approach their deaths that has kept these experiences beneath our cultural radar. At the Hour of Death (1977) by Karlis Osis and Erlendur Haraldsson details a spectacular study of some 50,000 terminally ill patients observed just before their deaths by a thousand doctors and nurses in both the United States and India. Osis and Haraldsson approached their work with the care and discipline of the scientists they were, and they were especially careful to rule out possible medical explanations for these unsedated patients’ before-death visions. What they found was that deathbed visions are essentially the same experience in both the U.S. and India. I hope this helps to answer your question!

Your journey from Catholicism into spirituality seems to be more and more common, dear LunaKat. I have been both Protestant and Catholic, and when I left mainstream Christianity I took with me the amazing fact that Jesus can be proven now to have known things 2000 years ago that He could have learned only from God! (Or from Goddess, if you prefer - Eternal Mind has no gender.) I have brought the extraordinary teachings of Jesus with me into a spirituality which is so profoundly consistent with what we are learning from the afterlife evidence that I can think of nothing else to call whatever it is that I am practicing now but "Original Christianity." Jesus came to tell us the truth about life after death, and thereby "set us free" from superstitions. His teachings are golden, and they are eternal!

kim marine likes this.
  3. LunaKat

LunaKat New Member

Thank you so very much Roberta! I will keep an eye out for At the Hour of Death. Excited to hear that the visions observed by both cultures are very much the same. I always wondered about that. I was reading here about where you recommended the Red Letter Bible..and was talking about it with my husband. We're gonna pick one up..thats a very good suggestion and look forward to seeing how his words support afterlife visions. I did know there was reincarnation also but it was pulled out in 553 AD I believe. And I agree with you that Eternal Mind has no gender in reality. I read the entire Bible back when I was in that more charismatic type religion and read it because I was just curious what all was in there. Boy did I ever have trouble with the God of the Old Testament. But I don't really have any problem with Jesus at all even though I've been more Pagan for a great many years. Its all good. I'm looking forward taking up your suggestion about the Red Letter Bible and rereading what Jesus said --only what he said--and thank you for that suggestion. Gonna try this. I know that I will will still stay with what I've been with but all learning is good.

4. VioletRose

VioletRose New Member

Welcome to the forum, LunaKat! Always good to see new people posting here :)

Regarding NDEs, my opinion is that our cultural perspectives and expectations about death play a huge role in what gets reported or published on this topic. We in the United States have a thriving culture of "seekers" who crave whatever information and testimony they can find to fight their death-related doubts and fears, while less prosperous and/or media-centered cultures might not consider discussions of the paranormal worthwhile (beyond religious teaching and folklore).

Just reading over what Roberta said in response... she actually gives a much better explanation... :eek:

5. LunaKat

LunaKat New Member

Hi VioletRose, yep I think you and Roberta are both right. I love reading NDEs and guess I just was wishing for more and to see how similar they are/aren't.