1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

New here and with some questions on the afterlife

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Emily E., Jan 31, 2017.

1. Emily E.

Emily E. New Member

It's okay, Arbutus. I'm not offended :)

I do like to pray. I feel like it has a calming effect on me, like meditation. I'm sure there are other people who feel the same too.

2. Courtney K

Courtney K New Member

Emily,
    I have had the same thoughts as you many times before. I was also raised in a Christian household as well so I often don't know what to believe. I am glad you posted this and elicited all of these responses because they have also been helpful for me.

3. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

Mainstream religions often demand your faith/belief. Is that what you want for you? Perhaps you could work towards not needing belief or faith?

4. Courtney K

Courtney K New Member

No, I do not think that is what I want. At this point I am going back and forth between knowing what I want so I am not sure to be honest.

5. mac

It can be hard to decide, I understand that. But it seems that you've nearly decided what you don't want. That's progress and in time you may become clearer about what you do want.

Until then perhaps it's better not to sweat this stuff and just keep an eye and an ear on what others are saying and try to be patient until things fall into place. There's no hurry. :)

6. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

I think mac has given good advice. ;)

7. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

I may be missing the point, but the construction of words is on my mind fairly often. I see the word 'human' and I think of the word 'humus' that is defined below. Our bodies must be made of the earth because once we are buried our bodies biodegrade and return to earth. I just find it fascinating in the similarities of what we casually call ourselves and what we call the soil of the earth.

soil science, humus (coined 1790–1800; from the Latin humus: earth, ground[1]) refers to the fraction of soil organic matter that is amorphous and without the "cellular cake structure characteristic of plants, micro-organisms or animals."

I agree with Roberta and feel that this earth is one place our bodies' are trying to resemble. The earth that is composed of a considerable amount of humus and knows how to maintain itself without help from us, and is something we humans should be observant of.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  8. Ed A.

Ed A. Member

By the way, "humus" is also the root word for "humility." That's a good virtue to practice when it comes to this spiritual stuff -- i.e., recognizing the limitations of our knowledge and understanding, not getting carried away with the "rightness" of our particular point of view. I forget the exact quote, but the gist of it was, what we know is infinitesimal compared to what we don't know. Another way to say it is, "He who knows, doesn't know. He who knows that he doesn't know, knows" (Upanishads).

9. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

Glad you posted that Ed A especially:

10. mac

We can't change the associations you have in your mind concerning the origin of words but at least one dictionary says: "...late Middle English humaine, from Old French humain(e ), from Latin humanus, from homo ‘man, human being.’ The present spelling became usual in the 18th century; compare with humane." Personally held associations and beliefs sound fanciful.

As for our bodies being made from the earth because of the stated reasons I think it's yet one more fanciful notion.... ;)

Of course one might also say: "These ROOT-WORDS are HUM & HUMAN which come from the Latin humus, meaning EARTH & GROUND and the Latin humanus which means MAN. It is interesting to follow the changes of idea here. It begins with HUMus, earth, then becomes HUMble, lowly; finally to HUMAN, Man. But we must never forget the origin of man; “Dust thou art and to dust thou must return."

Yuh pays yer money and yer takes yer chance... Perhaps best not to over-think the situation. :D

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  11. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

so I am just thinking too much about nothing?

12. mac

You've made a statement but added a question mark..... Had I suggested you're thinking too much about nothing? If so, please show me where.

13. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

I just didn't understand this. You said its best not to over think the situation, so therefore, I thought I was thinking too much about something that amounted to nothing.

I think the rest of your post was just your opinion vs. my opinion, so what was the point? My post about 'humus' and 'human' was only presented to trigger some thought in the members of ALF, but only if they were interested of course.

14. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

Spirit doesn't need words to communicate, but we do on this "physical" world, so I think the construction of words that we use can be an important thing to know about. Words are materialized thoughts used to live in this "material" world.

Cute Bear likes this.
  15. mac

You read that into what I'd written but it wasn't what I'd even implied.

16. mac

If this thread were a conversation about etymology then the following - quoting your words - would have relevance: "I may be missing the point, but the construction of words is on my mind fairly often. I see the word 'hu.............................hous and without the "cellular cake structure characteristic of plants, micro-organisms or animals."

But your piece above was a response to Roberta's words: "Not sure what "human origins" means, but since we go back and forth between here and there it only makes sense that these places and our bodies in them would resemble one another!"

Now it may be just me but I don't see how etymology or your word associations relate to the words you quoted from Roberta. That's why I offered two wholly different versions quickly found online and said what I did - yuh pays yer money and yer takes yer chance, adding a big grin emoticon to suggest I wasn't being totally serious.

17. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

I may have replied before so.........
    For me, there is no such thing as "nonexistence". I just am and will always be - in some form or state. I just can't currently say what that is.
    Perhaps that is true for you but it's not true for me. I can't say how I "felt" before this current incarnation but I've always "existed".
    My body may die but I won't die!
    I can't speak of others but i don't need "sense organs" to see, hear and or smell. All I will need is consciousness or awareness which is what Spirit is.
    Yes and vastly different than in our physical realm. Look up the book GROWING UP IN HEAVEN by James Van Praagh.
    {quote]Do plants, animals, and other living things have afterlifes or is it just humans?{/quote]
    Yes. Read that book by James.
    yes
    We do have a "before life"! You are ETERNAL!
    yes

The dictionary says "oblivion" is: the state of being unaware or unconscious of what is happening. So you can enter the afterlife or Heaven and not be aware of it or know you are there but you are there nonetheless.
    Perhaps someone might "prefer" to be unconscious or "asleep" while in the afterlife/heaven. That seems to also happen in the "present life".

18. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Hmmm, recycling the dead to preserve life.

19. mac

Soylent Green?

20. Bill Z

Bill Z Active Member

MacDonalds...same thing, lol.

OK not exactly soylent green but there ain't much chicken in them nuggets. Check out you tube vid's of close ups of Mickey Dee's wonderful food.