1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

New here and with some questions on the afterlife

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Emily E., Jan 31, 2017.

1. Emily E.

Emily E. New Member

That helps answer my question, Bluebird :)

And I tend to be agnostic as well, with my view of God being rather deistic. I guess I somewhat share your beliefs.

2. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Thanks; I'm glad I was able to help a bit. :)
    I would be interested in hearing more about your view of god, if you are willing to expound upon it.

3. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Emily, there are religious terms - "soul" and "heaven" are two - and there are scientific terms. And never the twain shall meet! But there also is a great deal of very consistent evidence of the following:

1) What we experience as human consciousness is the source of everything that we think of as real (the great quantum physicist Max Planck said this, as have many others).

2) Each human mind is part of the one Mind that continuously manifests this universe, and also manifests everything else that we perceive to be real;

3) Each human mind is eternal by definition, since it exists outside of time; and it is this mind that religions call the "soul."

The same is true of the religious concept of heaven: there are many energy-based realities from which we come to earth and to which we return after death, so there is no heaven as religions perceive heaven but there are indeed other realities!

Widdershins3 likes this.
  4. Emily E.

Emily E. New Member

(Sorry for the late reply, I've just been busy)

So my own interpretation of God is that he simply just doesn't control the laws of science nor does he control fate. I also don't think prayer really works (though I'm not against it; I like to think of prayer as a reflection and about wishing good luck to those who suffer misfortunes).

I don't think this would completely qualify as "deism" though, but I do like to believe that there is a deity out there that does care about us, but again I don't think he would really want to have control on our lives, and just leave us to do our own thing and take care of problems ourselves.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  5. bluebird

Emily,

Thank you for explaining your view on god.

I suppose that to me, the sort of being that you have described wouldn't qualify as a "god", though I would still prefer that being to any of the versions of god described by the fundamentalists of any religion.

In your view, what is the purpose of god? Do you believe that it created us and/or everything else? Do you believe that it cares about us?

I would be interested in your answers, but please don't feel compelled to answer if you would prefer not to. :)

6. Emily E.

Emily E. New Member

I wouldn't know what a god's purpose would be for creating us, but I assume it's up to us to take care of this planet and help create a purpose here.

That's just my theory.

7. bluebird

Sounds like a reasonable theory to me. :)

8. Arbutus Eric

Arbutus Eric Member

No worries! Just keep your minds open for the truth when you are ready for it:

"You can have a great soul, who is an agnostic, and you can have a poor soul, who is religious. The greatness of the soul is not measured by belief, but by action" - Silver Birch

9. mac

mac senior contributor

:) Dear Silver Birch - long gone, sadly missed, but what a wonderful legacy he left.

10. mac

mac senior contributor

We certainly should feel an obligation not to trash the place and try to look after things rather better than we're doing right now. Most wouldn't do it to their personal home so why do it to our global home?

We don't have any obligations toward creating a purpose here because the purpose of this dimension was created by the creative energy that brought about all life, all things.

11. Arbutus Eric

Arbutus Eric Member

The way I'm receiving his wisdom, I'd say he's very much in the world today. Reading his books is like having a conversation because I can't get more than a few pages before answering some question that was on my mind. I've never experienced anything like it, certainly not my reading of the bible. I'm looking for a set of his books now, the first paper books I will have purchased in several years. If anyone knows of a set somewhere send me a message!

Emily, if you have time to read, you might also check out any of Silver Birch's books. Teachings of Silver Birch is a good place to start.

12. mac

mac senior contributor

http://www.silverbirchpublishing.co.uk/books.php

Let me know if you do decide you'd like to buy some books and I'll telephone the supplier to see how payment can be made etc.

I agree with your thoughts that SB is still very much of this world if not exactly in this world. Like you I used to find - over three decades ago now - that what I was searching for I often 'stumbled upon' somewhere in one of the compilation books of his teachings.

And I also found a very great deal I hadn't ever thought of!

13. Arbutus Eric

Arbutus Eric Member

I sent an email to the publisher asking if they had a set to sell. I'm in no rush! And thank you Mac for offering to assist me with the purchase, but they offer US shipping on their site so I don't think it will be too much trouble for them to send it to me.

Now then...

14. Arbutus Eric

Arbutus Eric Member

Emily, this has been bothering me a bit... Things that are patently untrue have that effect. If it was a matter of belief or opinion, I might have an easier time letting it go, so I apologize in advance if I offend your beliefs regarding prayer. Prayer is like supercharged intentions that have a profound affect on our world. They don't always seem to work, but usually this is because what is happening must happen for the greater good and to fulfill natural law... Or the intention of the prayer is selfish, or the person doing the praying is too spiritually young. There are a lot of inter-playing factors that make it complicated. After reading your post, that same evening I was about 10 minutes into my latest Silver Birch book when I had part of the answer:

"If the prayer is merely a request of a selfish nature, it is an indication of the state of evolution which the individual has reached, and it is obvious that the prayer cannot produce any real effect. If the prayer is one that is unselfish, and has as its primary motive the desire to serve, that is an indication of the spiritual nature of the individual. By virtue of his evolution, he has already given wings to that prayer and it possesses a potency that is the direct result of his own spiritual attainment. Such a prayer automatically creates the conditions which will bring response. It is all controlled by the stage in evolution which the individual has reached." Silver Birch, from The Spirit Speaks

It all comes down to your intentions. If we fully realized how powerful loving intentions can be, and how weak negative intentions really are, we would not hesitate to use this power whenever the opportunity comes to serve. It may not be enough to change events, but it always has an effect on both you and the recipient. It is our free will used in a divine manner, and is probably the most effective tool we have for influencing the world. And it has nothing at all to do with luck, which doesn't exist anyways because what we think of as luck is really just natural law operating in a manner that we don't understand.

Whew off my soap box now!

Widdershins3 likes this.
  15. mac

mac senior contributor

soap box? wonderful comments! How I delight when someone else quotes beloved Silver Birch's simple, eloquent teachings to answer a posting.

But as with understanding prayer or why we're here in this world at all the personal spiritual progress of any individual constrains whether SB's words and ideas. When you're ready for them they will ring true but not until then.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  16. Arbutus Eric

Arbutus Eric Member

It makes me wonder how much influence we can have over the process, but it seems like someone has to say something. A good story analogy comes up from the Emperor's New Clothes, with a twist. I feel just like the child shouting, "Look, the emperor has no clothes!" Except that this time only a few people are willing to see it, while everyone else is convinced that he is wearing clothes. I'm hoping that if I keep pointing it out to people, some might be close enough to understanding where they might say, "sure enough, he isn't wearing any!" And realize that all of this is about learning how to love.

As you can see, Silver Birch's words fell on fertile ground with me! I appreciate your experience with this matter, Mac. It is useful information for me going forward.

17. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

I'd say that they were too AFRAID to openly say what they knew to be true whereas the child didn't yet know any better and was therefore free to be honest. The few "willing to see it" were still too afraid to openly say so. The child was probably not punished for speaking up since kids are not taken seriously anyway.

I'd say all of this is about having the courage to be honest - like the child in that fable who didn't yet know how to be dishonest and/or afraid of the Emperor.

18. Denise

Denise New Member

I've just found this site and am so glad that there is a place where we can discuss the afterlife and share the experiences we have had. I had the same experience as Emily at a young age of suddenly realising one day that we will all die, it was very upsetting at that moment wondering if there would be anything after death, but after years of searching for the truth and receiving proof of the afterlife, I now know that it does exist. Proof of course is personal, and what is proof to one person may not be proof to another, but I know that when we experience loss through the death of a loved one, it is often hard to accept that they have gone. We experience pain and loneliness and are often left wondering why? We also wonder how such a vibrant energy that lived and loved and became such an important part of our lives could now be gone. Where are they? I have learnt that we are not just flesh, we are spirit living within a body of flesh for a short time. We were not created to live eternally on the earth, but a home in the world of spirit - heaven - has been created for us all, it is our true home to which we will all go at the end of this physical life. Spirit is eternal and the material is only temporary. The home of the spirit lies in a place that exists beyond our physical world and eyes, but it exists never the less. When the last breath is taken upon this earth, the spirit rises from it's physical body and is usually met by loved ones who have gone before and who have waited patiently for this reunion when those who love are reunited in death. Love between spirits in the flesh and spirits in the heavens never dies but grows stronger, we are all spirit. There is a greater life that awaits us all for death is certain for us all and so is resurrection, for when we finally close our eyes upon this physical world, they will in the twinkling of an eye reopen in a world of light, love and beauty. Death the great liberator of earthly pain and troubles is not to be feared but to be acknowledged as a part of life and indeed is a door to eternal life promised to all no matter who you are or what your religious beliefs are while living on the earth. It is a great comfort to know that this life does not just end at the grave but that we were all created to live on and to eventually meet up with all those we have loved and lost. All we can do is live our lives in the best way that we can respecting each other and sharing what we have learnt, we are human with the ability to love and care for each other.

Widdershins3 likes this.
  19. mac

mac senior contributor

It's always good to see new contributors on ALF's forum pages and even better when we don't face the often difficult task of trying to explain to them the notion of survival. :)

20. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

I am often mystified by the notion of "proof", especially as it applies to the mysteries of spirit, the Afterlife and anything "paranormal". I'd be very interested to hear about your search for the "truth" and what you now know about the existence orf the Afterlife. This is not a challenge! I have my own story of how I now know about the Afterlife and some spiritual matters BUT I could never "prove" it to anybody else so I am both satisfied with what I now know and am able to share with interested others. Some are interested but most are not so no amount of "proof" would ever satisfy a skeptic and I don't blame them. Please share you experiences and "proof" of the existence of the Afterlife in whatever way you can. I very deeply enjoy and appreciate the "stories" and testimonies of those who have witnessed or experienced friends and loved ones who have crossed over to the Afterlife - our true and eternal home - above and beyond, yet still part of this temporary, difficult Earth plane.

I had the same question when Jimmy, our brother in law, died of cancer and then suddenly, he appeared to me hovering over his now dead body in their bedroom and we began a unique, telepathic communication which went on for days. He was not "met by" others in his Dis-incarnate form but was quite alone and ever so happy and FREE. There is so much to this story that I'd better stop here. I can only say that the entire experience "proved" all that I will ever need to KNOW about the existence of a wonderful, beautiful and happy Afterlife and that it is the destination of every physical form in the Earth plane - including plants, rocks, water, air, space, emotions, etc. IMO, "proof" is mostly a personal experience and need not be demonstrated or "proven" to others except where this proof has an impact on their lives like proving the existence of infectious diseases and other dangerous things.

Please share with us what you currently know about the Afterlife, based on your own direct experiences, unless its too personal to openly divulge. Most of what I personally know about the Afterlife and spirit is written elsewhere at this forum so there's no need to quote all of that in here.
    Thank you for what you have written so far.
    jim

Widdershins3 likes this.