1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

New here and with some questions on the afterlife

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Emily E., Jan 31, 2017.

1. G.Martin Nichols

G.Martin Nichols New Member

To Emily:
    You were considering whether at 19 you should be thinking about "life after death" and my advice is do that, do it a lot for none of us know when we will pass into the next life, and it could be today or tomorrow. Unfortunately, in this age of the world, little attention or credence is given to the one source that answers the important questions, yes I mean the Bible. It is largely scorned today, and that is a terrible fact of life. The Bible is the Authority that can save us from existing forever [without end] in a place we don't want to be in for an hour. But it is necessary to be a believer before studying God's Word, so here is the gospel of grace: Look in your Bible for I Corinthians chapter 15, and verses 1 through 4
    (usually designated I Cor. 15:1-4) and believe that it is Jesus Christ speaking through the writer to you.
    When you believe the Holy Spirit will change your life forever. As a believer you will be able to study the rest of Paul's epistles to build up your knowledge of your position as a citizen of Heaven, and a member of Christ's Body. After studying Paul's epistles,go on and study the other scriptures to fill out your knowledge and mature and perfect your place in Christ. I am more than glad to help you at any time with your journey.

2. mac

mac Staff Member

I have to advise you that you are falling foul of the 'no religion' rule here and Roberta will have more to say on this.

3. G.Martin Nichols

If that is the case I will certainly desist. I read all of the rules etc. that I found but didn't see any such restricton. :oops:

4. mac

mac Staff Member

Taken from 'Our Rules and Policies'.....

"Spamming:
    The posting of content that does not even remotely relate to the afterlife or spirituality is considered to be spamming and is prohibited. Religious spamming, which is defined as attempting to convert forums readers to your religious views through threats or intimidation, also is prohibited."

5. mac

mac Staff Member

I strongly disagree and have suggested that youngsters do very much the opposite of what you're advocating.

It doesn't much matter whether in this life we are aware of what comes next. It may be highly interesting for some of us but whether we know or whether we don't we'll all be following a well-trod path....

In my view young adults should get on with the things of this life. There's more-than-enough to experience and learn-from in this world without worrying about when we'll pass over to the next.

Whenever that may be it's unlikely it was our first visit here and it's very unlikely it will be our last, should we desire that.

6. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Oh dear. As someone who has studied the Bible extensively and throughout my life, I would be delighted to debate this with you, but this forum is a religion-free zone (as our wonderful Mac already has said). Thank you for respecting our rules, which are there for your protection, too: you would not believe the extreme religious ideas that were posted here before we put the ban into place!

7. Emily E.

Emily E. New Member

Hi, it's me again. I know that it's been a month and I haven't been paying attention to this thread lately, but I just wanted to thank you all for the kind, reassuring words. While I do hate to use this place souly as an area of comfort (though I do in fact look at the materialists' arguments just for another perspective), I'm still glad I found a website where everyone is nice and accepting to each other.

As of now I'm currently a deist (originally an agnostic at the time, though I eventually decided personally that our existence has way too small of a chance to be an accident). I do not really believe in the Bible (I do think it's possible that the stories might have been based on true events, though I believe that for the most part they are allegories), and I still consider myself culturally a Catholic and follow some of the traditions.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  8. G.Martin Nichols

I was Catholic half my life and am still interested in it as a subject of discussion. My email s/b in my profile so I welcome email from you.

9. Emily E.

Emily E. New Member

Update, I'm doing fine. Nowadays I'm less worried about my own death, and more worried about one of my friends, whose father died earlier this year. She's been going through a really tough time, and just earlier this morning she said something that made me a bit upset. I wish I could say something to make her feel better, but I don't really know what to say.

Also, I recently read about Peak in Darien, and it sound really interesting.

Also the thing about my fear of oblivion is not really so much me being afraid of dying itself. I understand that all living things must die eventually, but sometimes when I think about nothingness after death, it doesn't really make sense to me, and that's what scares me. The reason why I came her is not for comfort, but to find some good evidence and a reason to believe, so I could at least have some hope that there is something on the other side. I think Peak in Darien gives me some of that hope (though, of course like you said, at a young age it's best to focus on your current life instead of worrying about something that likely won't happen for a long time, and I understand that).

Also, another reason why I came back here is because I have a few more questions, but I didn't want to start up a new thread. I've seen a couple of atheists who claim that the afterlife and souls are myths due to their human origins. I just want to know what any of you say about that, and if there's any argument to back that up.

Also another thing is what about the fact that we where nothing when we were born? Or the fact that we didn't even remember anything while being a baby? That also seems to be an argument occasionally, and I just want to know what you have to say about that, about what makes before birth any different from after death.

Thank you for your input and hope you can reply :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Stephaniellen likes this.
  10. mac

mac Staff Member

Unless you're confident in yourself about what happens after we pass over you're not really in any position to explain it to others, particularly someone bereaved. BUT even if you knew everything there were to know and could put it over really well there's no certainty your friend would be comforted by it. Sometimes the best you can do is empathise and listen. Sometimes the bereaved just want someone who they can talk to and sometimes family members aren't the best persons. Often we have to grieve by ourselves and - as the saying goes - time is a healer.

I've no idea what Peak in Darien is but if it's helping you then go for it. You say you haven't come here for comfort but to find good evidence etc. OK, then. What have you actually done to look here for the things you want to believe in? I'm guessing you realise you're speaking to some individuals who feel almost totally opposite to how you feel about "nothingness" after death. We can't change how you feel but on this website are a huge range of conversations about all manner of subjects. Have you read 'em? What do you think of what's said there? What doesn't work for you?

How long have you got? No, strike that. How long do you want someone else to spend on your issues? Are you minded to follow what atheists say? If so, go with it. If you aren't comfortable what have you done for yourself to find an alternative? We could provide arguments to counter anything an atheist says but why should we? We're not out to change your mind or convert you. You're on a website about afterlife issues and those comfortable with the notion of life after death will likely have found the evidence they needed to feel persuaded about survival. Would you be persuaded by their evidence? How do you know?

really? How do you know? I say exactly the opposite - we existed before we began our present incarnation, we'll exist after it's over. We didn't blink into existence at the moment we emerged into this world.

How do you know that you couldn't remember anything as a baby?

I think you have enough from my reply to stimulate your thoughts. I don't know if any of it will have any appeal for you or whether you want everything handed to you on a plate but often the lessons that stick are the ones you learn for yourself. ;)