1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

New here and with some questions on the afterlife

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Emily E., Jan 31, 2017.

1. Emily E.

Emily E. New Member

Hi, I've been searching up info on the afterlife and eventually came across this forum, and I thought I could hang out here.

Let me just put it out there first that recently I've been fearing death. I'm currently 19 years old and have a long life ahead of me, but I still would often have panic attacks because I know I'm going to eventually die someday and there's nothing I can do about it. Unlike most people, I just cannot find comfort in the atheistic, materialistic assumption that we cease to exist after we die. The fact that I forget all of my memories and everything about the world, that I'll never see the beauty of nature or feel the warmth of the sun on my face ever again, that I'll never get to enjoy my hobbies or eat my favorite foods. And the fact that it will also eventually happen to everyone I love. My family members, friends, and many more. And what is nonexistence even going to be like? Just darkness with no thinking or senses? People say it's just like before you were born, but the problem is you never actually felt what it was like before you were born and just sprang up in existence!

The worst part is that most of the time (at least to me), eternal oblivion seems like the most logical conclusion to what happens after we die.

I want to find a reason to fully believe in the afterlife, I really do, but I'm just so torn between beliefs right now. I grew up a Catholic and was always taught that we go to Heaven, but I've been doubting my beliefs lately so much because it just seems like in a world full of scientific explanations for nearly everything, things that are unexplainable would have an explanation out there. The fact that we have a loving God above us yet he allows things like horrible diseases and natural disasters to happen.

There are some interesting things I've read suggesting that maybe an afterlife does exist, but they haven't really been enough to convince me entirely, considering that so many scientists claim that NDEs are caused by brain activity before death, and that there are a lot of plotholes regarding the concept of the afterlife (such as the fact that things like brain damage and Alzheimer's can affect peoples' memories and personality, or that if we're simply just souls in another plane of existence, how will we have senses if we don't have organs like eyes, ears, or a nose? Or how will we keep our memories? Will there be nature, water, weather, seasons, nigthtime and daytime, clouds, stars, the moon, and landforms in the hereafter? Do plants, animals, and other living things have afterlifes or is it just humans? If the latter's the case, then why are humans the ones who get special treatment? Did prehistoric neanderthals have an afterlife? How come we didn't have a beforelife? Is religion really just a manmade concept because humans want to feel that they have a purpose in this vast universe?)

Just so you know, I'm not here simply just to look for comfort or to refute any arguments. I just been looking at so much input on the non-believer's side of the coin that I feel like I should take the other turn and look at the perspective of believers, and I figured that since everyone here seems to know a lot about the afterlife itself that they would be able to answer some of the questions I have for it. I would like to know what makes you sure that there's something beyond death and that we don't just poof out of existence, if there are any genuine solutions for the plotholes, and that if anyone here has any actual evidence that life after death exists (there are a lot of atheists, agnostics, and skeptics who say there's no evidence for it).

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this, and I hope someone is willing to respond :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  2. DarthT15

DarthT15 New Member

I was in the same boat as you until recently, had a bad panic attack relating to the subject. After reading a lot about NDE's and whatnot, I do strongly believe an afterlife,

Here's a fantastic rebuttal to the idea that NDE's are caused by the brain: http://www.near-death.com/science/articles/dying-brain-theory.html
    In fact, the writer of the book even responds to say "I have not claimed that any of my work proves the Dying Brain Hypothesis. In fact no amount of research ever could."

Another good rebuttal to the idea of it being illusions is the "Peak in Darien" experiences, in which someone either dying or having an NDE sees someone thought to be alive at that point in time but is in fact recently deceased, Here's an excellent paper on the phenomenon including a few such cases: http://deanradin.com/evidence/Greyson2010.pdf

I was in a rush this morning, so I can't respond to all the questions, but I do hope that these answer some of them.

3. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Emily,
    I understand and share your doubts regarding the afterlife. I don't know if an afterlife exists, but I fervently hope so, especially since my husband died 4 years ago. In my opinion, no human being can tell you for sure if an afterlife does or does not exist; all anyone can do is offer you her/his opinion regarding the existence and possible nature of the afterlife. Different people have found different things (NDEs, experiences other people have had, writings on the topic, etc.) which to them are sufficient proof of an afterlife, but none of those things are universal proofs. In my opinion, each person needs to determine for her/himself whether s/he believes in an afterlife, and what s/he thinks it may be like.

milahanna likes this.
  4. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

You've written a lot but really asked a couple of important questions.

quote "....I would like to know what makes you sure that there's something beyond death and that we don't just poof out of existence, if there are any genuine solutions for the plotholes, and that if anyone here has any actual evidence that life after death exists."

re the above quote: First sentence, first question. My reply is that my personal experiences and what I've learned in many ways over many years.

First sentence, second question. My answer is that I don't have a clue what a 'plothole' is...

First sentence, final question. My answer is yes.

So you have two answers to two important questions but they're out of context and without studying, researching and learning more you won't ever have a proper context for them. And that's where it can get tough because one has to start working as no amount of answers from others may satisfy you.

I'm sure I could answer all the other points you've raised but without context what would my answers mean for you? Or anyone else's answers come to that? And as you're 19 years old I'd seriously advise you to get on with the good stuff of life and think about all this afterlife bull when you're decades older - and mac rarely advises anyone about anything! lol :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  5. DarthT15

DarthT15 New Member