1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

New Development Circles

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by RobertaGrimes, May 26, 2016.

1. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Hello everyone! As you may know, the traditional way for us to develop the mediumistic abilities that all of us latently have is in small development circles that generally meet weekly. I have a hunch that this may become a more common request of us as more people begin to seek to develop their abilities, and if you also are looking for people who would like to form a circle, go ahead and post your request in this thread. Note your location and how people can get in touch with you! For now, here is Dina's request. If you live within a convenient drive of her location, you might want to give her a shout:

Dina D'Antonio-Smithson in Hotchkiss, Colorado is seeking people in her area who might like to become part of a mediumship development circle. Any interested person can contact her by email at: sdboys4@tds.net.

2. mac

mac host

This is something I would never have expected.

Over many years I've been a regular contributor on mediumship both here and elsewhere. Faced, however, with the overwhelming interest in notions such as NDE, DIY contact, channeling or the 'spirit phone' I'd all but given up seeing any enthusiasm for plain, vanilla mediumship - especially so here on an ALF forum!

I won't be holding my breath while waiting but it would be really nice to see postings from members with an interest in a subject widely demonstrated by a movement close to my heart. :)

3. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

I think it's happening, dear Mac. Craig Hogan runs a development circle with two very prominent mediums in it (one is already producing ectoplasm), and Craig is encouraging others to begin their own circles. There really is a great awakening underway!

4. mac

mac host

I applaud and support the aims of any group prepared to sit for development.

The emergence of mediumistic ability in one, or more, of the sitters can be very exciting and rewarding. That applies particularly in the case of physical mediumship and the production of ectoplasm. But great patience and dedication from group members, often over a long period of time, is often needed for success.

The dearth of competent mediums is often bemoaned and certain factors influencing that situation still apply. These have been mentioned and discussed in other threads, here and elsewhere. Those factors have not changed and added to them might be a dearth of experienced mediums capable of guiding development groups.

Physical mediums in particular have always been fewer and further between than mental mediums. The production of ectoplasm needs carefully controlled conditions to protect the medium. Seances held in the dark are open to accusations of fraud. Phenomenalism can be a greater attraction than mediumship. I hope that those involved are aware of the potential pitfalls of sitting for such mediumship.

5. mac

mac host

It's tantalizing to think we all have latent attributes that would enable us to become budding mediums. But do we really?

It's often been debated whether mediums are born or created but we still don't know. Do we expect that if one individual sits for development and is successful at becoming a medium then every other member of the development circle should also be successful? We know that's not how it works out in practice.

Or might it be that latent ability is latent to such a degree that almost no amount of studying, sitting and practice could activate it? In effect not latent but missing. My guess - and it can be no more than that - is that mediums experienced in recognising potential mediums, or mediums experienced in guiding development groups, would say that only a small number of individuals they meet have the latent ability to develop into a medium. And this thread opened by speaking about developing mediumistic abilities....

It would, I suggest, be accurate to say that some of us may have latent attributes to become mediums but in my view it's misleading to say that all of us have. Sitting for development, however, may reveal other latent psychic or spiritual attributes which can be developed to allow an individual to serve the spirit in other ways.

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I would suggest that there is evidence that everyone possess some latent psychic ability--after all, even the most non-spiritual people report "sixth-sense" experiences and "gut feelings." However, I am not sure that everyone has enough of this ability to become a practicing medium, even with years of training. Perhaps though, if we lived in the world that recognized our eternal nature, such a gift would be more common?

In any case, it is wonderful that those who do feel called to mediumship are beginning to use our website to seek out like-minded individuals.

7. Sabrina S

Sabrina S New Member

Andrew, I agree with you that this forum can be a meeting place for anyone interested in gathering.
    And Mac I agree with you that it is tantalizing to think of latent abilities.
    So, it's great that here we can find people to just go ahead and test for those. I'm hoping there are some folks near me on here, who are ready to try. I'm staying on Whidbey Island in WA for the winter, till June and am near Langley. I will post an email address as soon as I create another one.

8. mac

mac host

Tantalizing but possibly disappointing....

In traditional UK Spiritualist church/centers an experienced medium will conduct so-called development circles and without one it may be like a class without a teacher - not ideal.

9. Sabrina S

Sabrina S New Member

True, disappointment is always a possibility. But it is often only one potential outcome. And as long there's also a possibility that intentional action can be rewarded, I choose to not allow that possibility to discourage me from trying less than ideal scenarios. Especially if they are intriguing. :)
    We'll see if there's anyone close by who is interested. I can be reached at sunlineage214@gmail.com

10. mac

mac host

I wish you the very best in your endeavour.

11. Sabrina S

Sabrina S New Member

Thanks, Mac. :)

12. Zac

Zac Member

I'm in Roseville, CA (USA), about 25 miles northeast of Sacramento. I would be interested in joining a development circle.

13. mac

mac host

Have you reached out to the NSAC to see if that body has anything that might appeal to you?

14. Zac

Zac Member

Yes, I went to their local church, but didn't find any development circles that were open to new members. The groups I found on meetup consist of people who occasionally show up to meetings.

15. mac

mac host

It's always likely to be a problem without somewhere as a central register of interested individuals and enough of those individuals who knew about any such register. I don't do church nowadays but it used to be the case that UK Spiritualist churches and centers would run development groups so it used to be possible to join one. I'm guessing that will still be the case but, of course, that doesn't help you! I mention them only for comparison with things in the USA.