1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Need some Afterlife book recommendations

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Fraz-C, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Fraz-C

Fraz-C New Member

This is my first post, so just to say hello to everyone.

Over the past few years, I've become quite interested in the afterlife and what happens when we pass over. I really want to learn more, but with so many different books out there it's hard to know where to start and many books seem to cover the same subjects. So far I've read, Proof of Heaven - Eben Alexander, God and the Afterlife - Jeffery Long and Heaven is a Real Place - Gaynor Carillo (this last one was free on Amazon, and quite interesting to get a mediums take on things). I've also seen the film Astral City.

In terms of my own believe I'm not sure what I believe anymore, I start reading up on things and trying to research things online and soon find there's so much stuff out there and different opinions, nde's, psychic mediums, astral travel, spiritualists / spiritism, quantum physics, that I find my head spinning and it's hard to know what sources are credible.

I've read a lot of short NDE's, but I'm really wanting to find a book, which goes into much more detail and structure describing the afterlife, what it's like, what people do, what does it look like, paying more attention to detailed descriptions of scenery and places, functions, crossing over process etc. It would be good to read something quite logical in its approach, but also good to read something that paints more of a picture.

Would really welcome any recommendations, if anyone can suggest some books that might tick my boxes.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  2. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

welcome to ALF :)

Members here will have their favourite books and I expect you'll get some suggestions in due course. Good luck with your research but in the meantime maybe a look at some of the conversations we're presently having plus some of the older ones might interest you. :)

Kurt and Fraz-C like this.
  3. Fraz-C

Fraz-C New Member

Thanks Mac :)

Kurt likes this.
  4. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

Welcome. I started a thread that Mac pinned.

It is the best original idea I have come up with on the forum (book reviews).

No one comes up with original ideas better than me!

:D

I am currently reading a Trump autobiography, and some of Roberta's books, but you can find the post.

5. pandora97

pandora97 Active Member

Kurt likes this.
  6. pandora97

pandora97 Active Member

Welcome to ALF!:)

Kurt likes this.
  7. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

Kurt likes this.
  8. Fraz-C

Fraz-C New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Kurt I'll take a look at your recommended book thread and thanks for the link. Jimrich thanks also, yes I've heard of James Van Praagh and seen some of his videos on Youtube, I'll take a look at his books. There are clearly different categories of authors when it comes to afterlife books, you get the Dr's, Prof's or Scientists like Eben Alexader, Pim van Lommeland Sam Parnia who seek to prove life after death. Then you get a raft of books written by psychics and mediums, which seem a bit more inconsistent in there accounts of the afterlife, but are more colorful in their descriptions and depth. The problem is with so many books out there, doing a google and amazon book search brings up thousands of authors and titles, and it's hard to narrow it down, they all have flashy covers and all sound very good. I find it hard to discern which mediums are potentially credible or not and I suppose I'm still not yet 100% convinced if any of them are, although I'm much more a believer then I was. I was watching some videos of Matt Fraser and his psychic readings and I must say his character and the response he gets seem pretty genuine. I think I've read enough of the scientific accounts, the nde's are getting a bit samey now, although these have been useful in terms of seeing the consistency in peoples experiences and seeing the common themes that are apparent in the majority 0f ndes such as out of body experiences, messages of love, oneness, tunnels of light etc.

Rather then the purely scientific books, I'm really looking for some books that expand a bit and actually go into detail to describe the afterlife, the imagery, the lifestyle, the places and landscapes, how it all works structurally from point of death to daily lifestyle and business. I might be asking for too much and I appreciate that a metaphysical afterlife would be so different that even trying to describe it in earthly terms would be near impossible!! I'm sure there's a few good books out there that attempt to do this, so just wanted to narrow it down through getting some recommendations.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Kurt likes this.
  9. mac

10. mac

I've tried to think of the books I've read (all lent out, none returned) but I can't now recall most of them. I think, though, I've picked up information from several rather than any one giving all the details you're looking for, Fraz.

In terms of the points you mention in your last paragraph, viz "...the lifestyle, the places and landscapes, how it all works structurally from point of death to daily lifestyle and business." it's a variable picture. Firstly though there is no business, no currency etc. Lifestyles will be at least as varied as they are here. Landscapes vary similarly - not so very different from the way it is here; likewise etheric environments are not homogenous.

11. Fraz-C

Fraz-C New Member

Thanks Mac you've probably forgotten more then I've learned :) I've had a look at some of the G Vale Owens books, along with Swedenborg and Kardac when looking at Spiritualism / Spiritism. Journey of Souls by Michael Newton looks quite interesting, just to mention at random.

I started reading the website of Spirit Guide Sparrow last night, found from another thread that's linked on this forum. The spirit world concepts on this site are quite interesting and very well written, but I'll be honest it lost me when moving onto ufo's, aliens, crop circles and reptilian beings.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Kurt likes this.
  12. mac

Re Sparrow, it's why somewhere I did mention I wasn't totally persuaded about some of his ideas.....;) Yet on other subjects what he has to say is very much in line with what other teachers also say.

Kurt likes this.
  13. mac

Kurt likes this.
  14. Fraz-C

Fraz-C New Member

Thanks no I've not heard of him, I'll take a look now.

Kurt likes this.
  15. Fraz-C

Fraz-C New Member

This is interesting stuff, I just read ITC Gem 13 about how it started with Technician. Is it best to start reading these at 1 and work through?

Kurt likes this.
  16. mac

Yes I'd suggest starting as far back as you can find and working forward. But here's a spoiler alert. Just as with the Scole experiment the ITC work came to a halt and nothing much has been heard about it since then.

Kurt likes this.
  17. Fraz-C

Fraz-C New Member

It does make you wonder why these types of high profile spirit communication come to a sudden stop and without much explanation.

Kurt likes this.
  18. mac

exactly my own thoughts! There are always reasons but I've still been left wondering what all the stuff was about in the first place....

19. Fraz-C

Fraz-C New Member

I'm sure you might have seen this but this website gives a bit of an overview as to why things dried up analso gives a good overview of ITC work. It see's us humans and our skepticism were to blame. http://www.worlditc.org/a_02_macy_itc_history.htm

Kurt likes this.
  20. mac

No I don't think I'd seen that summary but I did look through much/most of Mark's material some time ago to see what those guys attributed the disappearance of ITC to.

Odd, don't you think, that their counterpart communicators, eternal beings with so much understanding (one might have expected) of such matters didn't/couldn't see what humankind truly is - work in progress?

As with the so-called Scole Experiment - throughout which I was a subscriber to the NSSF - these things leave me wondering about exactly who incarnate researchers were communicating with and their level of personal spiritual progression.

Kurt likes this.