1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Near death or not

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by TraXion, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all

This is kinda private but lately its been bugging me a little so I thought I'd get some opinions.

About a year ago I got appendecitis and had to get surgery to take it out. When I woke up afterward I could remember this dream where I was floating up above the doctors with my back to the cieling, and then after a while felt pulled up even further like the room was getting taller and taller, and then my view started getting all narrow and fisheyed. Then nothing but a blank until I woke up. My wife said it sounded like a near death experience or something, but when I talked to the surgeon later on he said I never even came close to dying.

Whose right here? Do these things only happen when your life is in danger?

2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Hi TraXion! One little-known fact is that some so-called near-death experiences (NDEs) happen when people are not close to physically dying. We aren't sure why, but some people have the whole thing - tunnel, light, etc. - with little physical stress precipitating it. What happened to you sounds more like an out-of-body experience (OBE), however. Spontaneous OBEs are VERY common - much more common than NDEs - and while some people can have them at will (read Robert Monroe's three wonderful books, beginning with Journeys Out of the Body), in my experience most first-timers have them just as you had yours, either while under anesthesia or while either frightened or stressed. Not sure what the narrowing of your view means, but it is possible that you went partway through the ceiling (yes, that happens!) but didn't get all the way through to the floor above it. Instead, you returned to your body. Nothing to be worried about, and it probably won't happen to you again. Indeed, your brief OBE was wonderful because it further affirms the fact that you are not your body, after all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.