1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Nde question

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Litsa, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Ruby

Ruby Established Member

Thanks mac! Yes, like no other! And life is more cheerful and magical when you can take it onboard, for me anyway.
    Kim, you're absolutely right! How can someone not be interested?

Convolution likes this.
  2. mac

mac Staff Member

We don't necessarily choose to be interested in any particular thing and when something grabs our interest it's pretty hard NOT to be interested in it - by definition and in practice. ;)

I don't think it's necessarily that folk are infatuated with their lives either..... I consider myself fortunate that I have the time and energy to spend on something that interests me but I'm very much aware that others have no such time and energy spare in their lives. And they often have far more pressing issues to deal with daily - family, finances and work the most common ones. For some folk, perhaps for many, time for themselves is a rare luxury and matters of the spirit such as we consider and discuss here at our leisure are an unknown. They might not even appear on their wish list. :)

bluebird likes this.
  3. Convolution

Convolution Established Member

The difficult part is that the brain can and does play tricks on us and out perceptions. Look at people being hypnotized on stage, or bad police interrogations, as a couple of examples. Many scientists even let their bias and desires schew the results of tests.
    It is sometimes hard to distinguish something closer to truth from something further from it- hence my need for evidence of some kind, especially in dealing with something as deeply desired as survival after death, for both ourselves and our loved ones. We have such an innate bias to want to believe in it, that imo it is important to validate carefully and throughly.

4. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

If you "value them all" with regard to evidence about the afterlife, then effectively you are giving the same level credibility about how bombs might work to a nuclear physicist and to a ten-year-old who studied Hiroshima in history class. Does doing that really make sense to you?

5. Convolution

Convolution Established Member

I value them all, but I value them according to validity of evidence on a scale. It doesn't mean that which has no evidence has no value. But information with a higher degree of verification, in my opinion, is assigned a higher value.
    In the face of a great unknown, I still find it useful to keep in mind ideas which have not yet been verified but may provide future insight. Not all things occupy the same space.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    bluebird likes this.
  6. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

The single most important thing you can do is to devote yourself now to finding a basic, internally consistent grounding in what reality is. I call my radio show and podcast "Seek Reality" for a reason! Once you have that grounding - and it isn't easy to put together, but you can do it if you are both patient and ruthless - then you will begin to find aspects of that greater reality that fit together and make sense. You will have a framework! Then - and only then - can you begin to evaluate details that might or might not fit. If indeed there is a non-material reality, it must fit together, just as this reality all fits together! And indeed, the greater reality does all beautifully fit together, dear Convolution. But what you are doing now is going to result in nothing more than a hodgepodge of interesting bits that you think are real, although they might not be real, but in any event there is no clear way that they all relate to one another. In the end you will have found precisely nothing.