1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

My grandma's visitation experience

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Corey, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Corey

Corey Member

Here's some background. My grandma is 90 years old now. When she was in her mid teens, her older sister (18 or 19?) died. She was sleeping in the same room as her sister when it happened and she said she always felt that her father blamed her for it. She definitely felt responsible for it in some way, and I think that still haunts her now.
    Maybe five years later, she was engaged to a man. He died in an accident; apparently he was standing in a puddle in some kind of building and something happened with the electricity and he was electrocuted.
    The weird thing is my grandma tells us she had a dream days before this accident. She said her dead sister came to her in a dream, saying she was going to take her fiance from her. The weird thing is, she said her sister appeared very mean and cruel in the dream. Nasty, as she put it. But it actually happened, which seems to almost surely confirm this was indeed a visitation experience.
    I know that the vast majority of us go to the Summerland levels when we pass on. I don't think my grandma's sister would have been a candidate for the darker levels . . . and even if she were resident there, those beings don't have enough power to go and visit living relatives. So why did she appear mean in the dream? Was it my grandma's perception of her sister due to her guilt? Can our perception of things/people distort their reality in experiences like visitations? Interested to know what you guys think!! :)

2. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

I don't know if you will agree with my views on this, but here goes:

If there is an afterlife at all (something about which I am agnostic), I don't necessarily agree that there is a "Summerland" level and "darker" levels, or any sorts of levels at all. There may be, or there may not be, but in my opinion we have no proof either way.

That said, if there is an afterlife to which we all go, I would hope that being there would help people to drop whatever cruel or unkind tendencies they may have had while on earth. I don't know if your grandma's sister was a cruel person during her life, but even if she was, I doubt she would choose to (or even be able to, possibly) come back to essentially haunt her sister in a dream.

In my opinion, the most likely possibility is that your grandmother had a precognitive dream which didn't actually involve her dead sister, but in which her subconscious chose to deliver the message via a personification of the sister.

On a related note, may I ask why your grandmother and/or her father held her at all responsible for her sister's death? How did the sister die? What did your grandmother have to do with it?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  3. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

Asking for proof sets a very high standard of evidence. I'd suggest just asking for the best available evidence.

4. bluebird

I'm not asking for proof. I don't think it's possible to provide any truly definitive proof.

5. Corey

Corey Member

Thanks bluebird, that actually makes sense and I didn't think that it could simply be a precognitive dream that didn't really involve her sister's spirit. I do tend to believe in what Roberta teaches about the afterlife levels.
    The details of why my grandma felt guilty don't matter too much to the original question. It is interesting to note, though, that she's a very skeptical person when it comes to any of the stuff we discuss here on afterlife forums. Once I brought up reincarnation and she called it "voodoo" stuff haha. It's interesting how someone can have such an experience and still remain completely skeptical about this kind of stuff!

6. bluebird

You're welcome, Corey. It's just my opinion, but perhaps it is what actually happened.

As for whether there is an afterlife in which levels exist, or don't, it's fine that we hold different opinions on that. Makes life, and this site, more interesting. ;)

Maybe your grandma is truly skeptical, and her one experience wasn't enough to prove to her that there is an afterlife or any other type of "supernatural" occurrences. Or maybe that one experience scared her so much that it put her off the entire idea/field altogether; after all, whether it truly contained a supernatural element or not, having one's sister die and being blamed for it, and then thinking that the sister came back to tell you she was going to take your fiance, and then having the fiance electrocuted to death, is a horrific series of experiences!

7. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Corey, it's difficult for us to say anything definitive about someone else's dream that happened so many decades ago, but I think that the following things are more likely than not:

1) Your grandmother's sister was at that time lovingly watching over her younger sister, and perhaps even trying to be in touch with her. I agree that she wouldn't have been in the lowest realms, not least because she was sub-adult when she died; and anyway, people in the lowest realms seem to be unable to communicate with us.

2) The sister would almost certainly have known not only about your grandmother's love, but also that he was scheduled to go home, and she might well have wanted to give her younger sister a heads-up. To try to soften the shock.

3) Genuine visitation dreams do involve an actual visit from a dead loved one, but they happen in the mind of the dreamer! So they can be colored by the emotions of the dreamer; and in the case of your grandmother, she probably had some pretty strong negative emotions going at the time. She had been blamed for her sister's death, and she seems from your description of her to be kind of a tough cookie anyway.

4) So we have a loving older sister trying to warn your grandmother, and a younger sister who seems to have been feeling some negative emotions and in whose mind all of this is happening. Have you ever looked at anything through colored cellophane? It is possible that it was your grandmother's negativity that made her sister appear to be "nasty."

Just a thought!

8. Corey

Corey Member

Thanks Roberta!

So it seems that either it was a precognitive dream vision not involving my grandma's dead sister, or it was just a distorted visitation experience. Whichever it was, it makes more sense now!

And bluebird, you're right, I didn't really think about how horrifying those experiences must have been for her. She probably doesn't want to associate with the metaphysical at all, now! Well, I'm glad that she'll relatively soon be reunited with all those she lost in a happy place. She deserves it.