1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

More research suggests mediums are not frauds

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by DenverGuy, Aug 16, 2018.

1. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

A little technical, perhaps, but I received this in an e-mail from Piero Parisetti, MD:

Recent neuroimaging research conducted by Julio Fernando Peres and colleagues employed single photon emission computer tomography (SPECT) to scan the brain activity of ten mediums (automatic writers, of whom five experienced and five less experienced), while in trance. The research findings, expressed in rather technical language, have been summarised as follows:

The researchers found that the experienced psychographers showed lower levels of activity in the left hippocampus (limbic system), right superior temporal gyrus, and the frontal lobe regions of the left anterior cingulate and right precentral gyrus during psychography compared to their normal (non-trance) writing. The frontal lobe areas are associated with reasoning, planning, generating language, movement, and problem solving, perhaps reflecting an absence of focus, self-awareness and consciousness during psychography, the researches hypothesised. Less expert psychographers showed just the opposite – increased levels of CBF in the same frontal areas during psychography compared to normal writing. The difference was significant compared to the experienced mediums (Thomas Jefferson University, 2012).

The implication here is that during trance states of the experienced automatic writers, activity is reduced in the areas of the brain usually associated with reasoning, planning, language, movement and problem solving, suggesting that te medium’s dissociative experience during trance is far from delusional or fraudulent. Furthermore, the researchers conducted an analysis of the writing and found that, contrary to what would normally be expected, the complexity increased as the activity in the areas of the brain usually associated with such complex behaviours was reduced. This raises the question of how, if the brain’s functioning was reduced, such complex writing was possible. The Spiritualist interpretation would suggest that it was spirits doing the writing while the medium’s consciousness was absent, and the data could indeed be read in this way.

(Originally reported by Jack Hunter, PhD, Daily Grail, 27th May 2014)

pandora97 likes this.
  2. Rebecca Hopkins

Rebecca Hopkins New Member

Impressive :cool:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  3. Monika

Monika Active Member

Interesting and makes a lot of sense. I'm far away from expert in trance but experienced it and it was clear that something in brain is off from very first try as i could not really imagine or visualise something by my own efforts. It was totally dark and silence and calm until soul step in. Thank you for sharing ♡

Bill Z likes this.
  4. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Intriguing, DenverGuy. Thanks for posting this.

5. Dustin g.

Dustin g. New Member

Frequent experiences. Having memories of actual detailed events with people who I've just met and old acquaintances but the event I remember happened either happened way before or after the acual event to which they experienced. But I remember details as if i was there same as they. I have made contact to the otherside through a loved one. Am i crazy? If so it is worth the risk. Recommendations how to open the gate???

Kurt likes this.
  6. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

This thread is about mediumship. Is that the way you are making contact?

7. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

Oh God... This hits home. I got into some bad stuff when I was younger and the same happened. It kinda made me a little mad. It stopped when I became intense and lost all care.

8. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

My late wife was definitely no "fraud" and she helped a lot of sad and frightened clients have a reunion with their disincarnated love one.

Kurt and pandora97 like this.
  9. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

Did she have any friends who were real?

I would like to meet a good medium. I cannot seem to be able to find one.

10. mac

Experienced, knowlegeable mediums do appear to be in short supply nowadays. I say "appear to be" but that may not be the case and it could be they are out there but we just don't get to hear of them.

Those who spend time and effort looking for them are in a better posittion to know, however, than those who do not. As to whether they're good mediums well that depends to some degree what one expects from a medium and what they are able to do on any particular day. Even the most experienced medium may not achieve what's expected of her but the 'best' mediums might be thought of as those who deliver most reliably over a large number of seekers.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    Kurt likes this.
  11. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

I know that this medium went to a festival down here in TX, who was legit. My teacher told me about her. Sadly however, she did not return the next year.

12. mac

It's harder in the US without the network of churches we have here....

Mediums in the UK often serve a Spiritualist church circuit in their locality or more distantly - keeping in mind our whole country is smaller then TX! - so there is usually a core of experienced ones who folk get to know and they also know their ability.

Then there are developing mediums getting a taste of platform work and add to that visiting mediums who are more widely known. So we have a fair few to choose from and even here folk grumble! That's not to say anyone can be assured they'll be contacted by family members or friends but there's no need to hunt for a medium.

It's a shame that in the country where Spiritualism has its roots that there aren't more churches and centers where mediumship can be observed or experienced without needing to make appointments with practitioners often accused of making high charges for their services.

Kurt likes this.
  13. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

I can recommend looking up a "Spiritualist" church where you live or just go shopping and take your chances. My late wife had some psychic friends around So Calif. but I have lost touch with them. I no longer try to live with or by "readings" but if I want a reading, I'd go to a spiritualist church or the Psychic Eye bookstore in Sherman Oaks, CA. Shop around..........

Kurt likes this.
  14. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up Jim.

I will be sure to do so.

15. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

Wow..... I knew we were big, but not by those proportions. I agree that the current state of Spiritualists is sad.

I want to mainly discuss past lives and when I will die.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  16. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Mediums generally aren't focused on finding your past lives, but Peter Wright is a certified hypnotherapist and past-life regression therapist. His website is insightsfromwithin.com, and everyone I've sent to him has been happy!

Kurt likes this.
  17. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

Thank you for the reference Roberta and may God bless you.

I will be sure to check it out.