1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

member responses and conversations - general

Discussion in 'Carol and Mikey Q&A 'follow-on-discussions'' started by mac, Jan 6, 2020.

1. mac

mac Staff Member

sorry, Carol - That wasn't intended for you. I was 'thinking out loud' and doing it in the wrong place.

2. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

mac,

You may be right, about people describing or explaining the supposed "levels" in the afterlife in what they feel is the best way they can. In my opinion, however, it does more harm than good, by implying that the afterlife is segregated in the same or similar ways as life on earth too often is. I think it would be better, more honest and less divisive, to say that as we learn and progress we are able to perceive more, and leave it at that.

If there is an afterlife, and if once I and my loved ones are all there they at some point decide that they do want to "merge with source" (assuming that is even the end-goal, and I am by no means convinced that it is) while I still don't, then my continued existence in the afterlife will be as horrible and painful as my earthly life is now. So I really hope that is not the case.

I don't know if there is an afterlife, or if there is a god. If both of those do exist, then I absolutely want god to defend its actions -- specific to me, its actions in allowing my husband to die when he did, but also all the other anguish it unleashed or at least allows in the world. Some of that can be attributed to free will, absolutely (assuming we have free will), but not all of it (hereditary diseases and natural disasters, for example). If there is a god, I hold very little hope that I will ever get this discussion or reckoning that I want and feel I deserve, but I do want it.

If we truly have free will, then that includes the ability to literally end our own existence in every way -- not "merging with source", but ceasing to be (*side note: in saying this, I feel as though I'm in the Monty Python "dead parrot" sketch....). "Merging with source" would not accomplish that, not completely -- we might be altered, subsumed, all individuality destroyed, but that is not the same as ceasing to be. If we are eternal, then being forced to "merge with source" would be the ultimate torture, at least for me (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this feeling), and would make any being/entity that required/enforced it no more than an evil tyrant, certainly not worthy of being called "god". Now, I am not saying that if there is a god it is like this, I'm just saying that if it does exist and if it forces everyone to merge with it, then it is.

3. mac

mac Staff Member

It's a discussion we could hold ad infinitum, bb but it probably wouldn't get either of us much further forward I fear.

The more I've reflected on the overall picture we have of life beyond this one (and as you're aware I am persuaded of that) the more I feel we know bugger-all above the simplest of concepts. The more I've contemplated trans-dimensional communication (again you know I'm persuaded) the more clear it's become to me recently just how limited it is.

I wonder if after I croak and after I've re-adjusted to my new normality I'll look back at what I've left behind and just think to myself "What a crock that all was! I knew nowt abaht owt!" Will I join the throng of individuals heading away as fast as they can from this drear world and all it represented? I wonder if I'll find I've retained any interest in the stuff that has interested me for three and a half decades, some of which still has great importance.

Now lest I sound too disillusioned I should declare I remain confident about fundamental issues. I'm relieved I have no crisis of confidence concerning the notion of survival beyond death. I still have confidence that message, perhaps along with the experience of evidential mediumship, can help the bereaved - sadly, though, it won't do it for everyone. But I'm now much more leery about information provided by discarnates.

It's not that I think what we're hearing is wrong but rather that vital details get 'lost in translation', lost because of the difficulty of communicating using spoken or written words, lost having to work through an incarnate medium.

Spirit-side life can scarcely be explained by even the most accomplished and experienced spirit communicators and that aspect has hit me like a sledgehammer of late.

4. bluebird

"It's not that I think what we're hearing is wrong but rather that vital details get 'lost in translation', lost because of the difficulty of communicating using spoken or written words, lost having to work through an incarnate medium."

Agreed (if there is an afterlife, that is).

5. mac

mac Staff Member

It's almost like Chinese Whispers writ large..... The very detail most needed is the very detail being missed.

6. bluebird

I know your question is for Carol and Mikey, and I don't claim to know the answer (or even to believe in an afterlife), but why would there be pain in the afterlife?? Most people who believe in an afterlife seem to believe there is no pain there. If there is pain there, how is there better than here? What would be the point of pain in the afterlife?

7. Auras

Auras New Member

I’m not talking about physically feeling pain like we do on earth. However, there has to be some form of internal pain, maybe self-suffering, torturing yourself.

For example, let’s say a person on earth, committed numerous murder crimes. When they pass over, there has to be some form on internal pain upon realising that what they did was wrong.

I personally don’t believe all of the after life is good, the higher places I believe so, but the lower vibrational planes, I do not.

8. bluebird

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure which type of pain you meant (emotional or physical), and I don't believe there is physical pain there either, or any facsimile thereof. If there is an afterlife, I hope any pain felt there is minimal, quickly passing, and for a purpose, and I agree that the type of emotional pain you described, upon realizing what one did wrong in life, is possible. Again, I don't know if there is an afterlife or not, but if there is, then I lean towards believing that each of us, probably not too long after arriving there, undergoes a "life review". I am agnostic regarding the existence of a god, and if there is such a being I have no idea if it takes part in the life review, though my inclination is to say that it may observe, but does not judge.

In my opinion, if such a life review does take place, the purpose of it is to learn from the life one has just lived, see where one went wrong and where one went right, so to speak -- and that only works if each person is able to experience everything s/he did in life, feel the ramifications and the feelings of the other people with whom one interacted. For a person who lived what we would generally call a "good" life -- i.e., helped other people more often than not, tried not to be cruel or harmful, made choices and took actions based in love rather than hate, etc. -- such a life review would not be painful (or only minimally or occasionally painful, since no one lives a perfect life). Whereas for a person who lived what we would call a "bad" life -- intentionally hurting people, being abusive and/or dismissive, just generally being a hateful bastard -- the life review would be as painful as the pain the person had inflicted on others. And of course, there are many people in the middle. Basically, "you reap what you sow", in that you feel the effects of everything you did in life (or chose not to do, when an action would have been the better path), both good and bad. I think this applies to everyone, so not only murderers would feel the effects of their actions.

That's my view of it, anyway. So while I do not believe in higher/lower "vibrational planes", to some extent I do agree with your view about pain in the afterlife, now that you've clarified what you mean by it. Thanks again for answering.

Auras likes this.
  9. mac

mac Staff Member

I was sitting with a platform development group recently when a communicator came through for one of our sitters.

This man communicator told the recipient with sadness about certain parts of his life here in the physical. He also said he was happy in his new life but still felt pangs of sadness about something he'd failed to do for a particular family member.

It wasn't pain because that would have been too strong an emotion but it was deep regret and sadness he was still experiencing.

10. bluebird

Understandable, certainly. But at least if he's in the afterlife, he knows that eventually his family members will be as well, and he can apologize for his inaction then and make things as right as possible with the family member.