1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

member responses and conversations - general

Discussion in 'Carol and Mikey Q&A 'follow-on-discussions'' started by mac, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Chuckb66

Chuckb66 New Member

Hey Mac, Thank you, it's great to hear a different perspective. I do feel very privileged at the moment, and unlike a certain pop star stated recently, this is NOT "the great equalizer" by any means.

2. mac

mac Staff Member

I haven't seen Carol for a time so maybe things are getting busy - even more busy! - for her at work.

3. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

I'm not Mikey, but that makes no sense to me. I personally don't believe there is a hell or a "hellish place", but even if there is -- smoking and drinking aren't sins or anything. They may not be the healthiest choices, but there are so many waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse things in this world, especially things that people intentionally do to hurt others. I think whomever said that drinking and smoking too much (which is how much exactly, anyway?) is just flat-out wrong.

Carol and Mikey and Storybud68 like this.
  4. Juniper

Juniper New Member

Hello I was just reading along, I hope it's okay if I pop in here for a moment and ask Cookie, is there a reason you can't learn organ in this dimension? I know how to play and was just curious.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  5. Robin

Robin New Member

I have to agree with bluebirds sentiment here. That doesn’t make any sense really and I would stop worrying if possible. What we do know about alcohol is that it is potentially damaging to our health and that is something you have to weigh up for yourself.
    I would say this is one of major problems with this subject. There are so many books and viewpoints both old and new. Many are contradictory. Many have people worrying unnecessarily about what they should be doing in their lives and living them in a way that just wouldn’t be their choice. There is plenty of crazy stuff out there. I sometimes think it would be better for us to just keep it simple. If it makes you happy and it’s not hurting anyone then you should feel free to do it. Enjoy the life you have now etc.
    Just my thoughts for what they are worth.

Carol and Mikey and Storybud68 like this.
  6. mac

mac Staff Member

goodreads.com says the following about the book David has been reading:

"A classic true story of the afterlife, and of a love that flourishes beyond the grave. Written through the psychic medium A. Farnese in 1896, Wanderer is the true autobiography of Franchezzo, an Italian socialite who squanders his life on "wine, women and song." After an untimely death, he finds his spirit wandering in one of the dark lower worlds, alone and hopeless except for continued messages of love his young wife sends him through her prayers. Moved by the constancy of her devotion, he sets out to redeem himself by trying to help other lost souls, a mission which takes him into the lowest hells of the astral realm. Through his journey, there unfolds a remarkably lucid account of the different levels of the spirit realm, and the great brotherhoods of light who work there. Esoteric students have long regarded Wanderer as one of the clearest, most accurate descriptions of the spirit realms and the life that awaits us on the other side."

It's been taught that after death we gravitate to a level that reflects the spiritual progress we've made. (something we've discussed earlier with Mikey) It's arguable that an individual who (quote) "....squanders his life on "wine, women and song." may find himself in a region where others who behaved similarly might also find themselves, a situation he did not appear to care for.

His (quote) "untimely death" was presumably the outcome of his excesses (there's no mention of smoking in this review) and quite likely negatively affected those around him, especially his wife and family. Not so very different from modern day situations! The overall story of acknowledgement, remorse and redemption isn't uncommon either.

Quite whether we'd agree that (quote) "Esoteric students have long regarded 'Wanderer' as one of the clearest, most accurate descriptions of the spirit realms and the life that awaits us on the other side." is moot. ;)

7. Storybud68

Storybud68 Active Member

Thanks guys for those very comforting replies to this subject ,cheers .David

8. mac

mac Staff Member

It's cheers from me to you, David, as I'm about to have a pre-lunch (in the UK) Budweiser. Happy hour typically comes at that time in the 'mac' household! Sometimes it comes later too! :D

9. Storybud68

Storybud68 Active Member

Thanks again mac,its just in the book he visits the lower realms as a guide to help poor souls,its there that he meets these people who on earth indulged in these things but maybe they had other problems also,this part of the book is quite scary ,but there is a lot of hope on it,the book also seems to be consistent with other books of this type regarding the lower realms but there is a lot of happy stuff in it also.cheers mac.David

10. mac

mac Staff Member

In the early days of Modern Spiritualism (around the time this book was communicated) there was a lot of interest in such matters but nowadays these accounts can feel stilted and dated.

I cut my teeth on 'The Spirits Book' by Kardec from a similar point in time but it feels amazingly dated now and I turfed my copy out a couple of years back.