1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Mediumship, survival and death

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by Convolution, Dec 7, 2018 at 3:08 AM.

1. Convolution

Convolution Active Member

At Mac's suggestion, I am starting a new thread and keeping it vague, about mediumship.

My sister is a medium. She's had some odd experiences, as have I (I don't think I'm a medium, though).
    I don't want to derail the topic too much, but she once called my mother from afar, out of nowhere, to tell her to rush home at that moment as something bad was going to happen to my brother. My mother got up from work and headed home immediately. My mother arrived in time to save my brother from asphyxiation. At the hospital, later, where he ended up staying for a couple of weeks, they said he was within seconds-minutes of dying.
    She's done her share of work in mediumship, getting introduced to Kardec while in a randomly induced trance state. I don't know a whole lot about it, at this point, but this was not the only instance where my sister exhibited awareness beyond what she "should have had" at the time.

2. Convolution

To answer Mac's post on the other thread:
    "[I, too, don't want to take this subject any further off-topic and will remove this comment and any responses to it later this evening. With a sister who has psychic ability you might do well to listen to what she knows and put some of your questions to her. Please don't address my comments here but starting a new thread might be interesting and helpful.]"
    I've read the books my sister has read, and have spoken to her. Her ideas of the afterlife seem a bit different from some of the ones I hear here, and I take her ideas into account, as I take all others, until I truly know. I've put some questions to her. Some she doesn't know, some she has answered. They aren't evidence of knowledge, they are her opinions. She understands that, even as she believes. I trust her, and I've witnessed things I can't explain in life as well. I'm the first to admit that there is more to life than we know. But I also can't know for sure what that is- I seek to find out.
    I am interested in mediumship. I have heard of some interesting developments there, though the mediums I've gone to all have failed in every possible way, so far. Not a single time close to a hit. I still have hope I will find someone credible to speak with (my sister is emotionally involved and admits she isn't the person to try and do anything in that regard. I wish she could help. I've tried.)

bluebird likes this.
  3. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

Perhaps if you outlined what she says about survival et al a conversation might begin about mediumship and what should be expected of it?

4. Convolution

My sister seems mostly a believer in Alan Kardec's teachings. She doesn't like to speak of it much, so I will keep it to the little that I know, and I can ask her further questions about it.

When she communicates, she says she hears from messengers, rather than directly from people. She says usually people depart and go to a place of suffering, because most here are pretty far away from the ideals of unconditional love, by "choice", because it happens to be the way their spirit is, and the thoughts they manifest. She seems to believe people choose the families they are born into, though I think I'll confirm, and that people can be influenced by spirits. After one dies, they are often allowed to attend their funerals. She says she saw my brother there for his.
    She thinks we have spirit guides, and that she is her spirit, though her spirit contains far more information about her past than she is aware of, as some believe in.
    Her view of the afterlife seems to be quite human centric. I will confirm that.

I have tried to get more information, but she doesn't like to speak about the topic. I've tried to get her to get more information from my brother, but she didn't feel emotionally well enough to do so, for a while. Last I asked her about it, she said he still wasn't ready to communicate, due to the nature of his departure.

5. mac

So do any of her beliefs resonate for you?

6. Convolution

I think they are all interesting. I can't say they resonate any more than most other beliefs I've read about in the afterlife.
    There is one that doesn't particularly resonate for me, though it isn't hers. It's the idea that we have a spirit, and spirits split into up to 12 shards/aspects, and we are each an aspect of a major spirit. That the afterlife is highly structured and hierarchical. That doesn't resonate.

bluebird likes this.
  7. mac

8. Convolution

9. mac

10. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

No shards. In fact, nothing remotely like that kind of creepy nonsense - you remain individual. And what you experience as awareness is sometimes also called "spirit" and is a limited subset of the Consciousness energy that continuously manifests this universe. You come here to learn how to better increase your consciousness vibration, because indeed reality is stratified to what appears to be a nearly infinite degree based upon our level of spiritual development. You want to go higher, and when you have better developed spiritually you can indeed go higher. To a nearly infinite degree.

11. Convolution

Where can I find the evidence for that?
    Some people talk of levels. Others simply reference that our lights change, become brighter, add subtle colors to it, but we all remain at the same "level", where all is accessible.
    Is there evidence that supports one view more strongly than the other?

12. RobertaGrimes

There is no evidence in favor of "shards" that I have ever seen in fifty years of research, so I can assure you it is just someone's loony idea or I would have seen it at least once.

And the answer to your second question is that both views are about equally true. The baseline existence that we eternally have is as points of light. And that feels normal to us. But coming from this physical-seeming world to that would be a shock, so wonderfully there is an extensive physical-seeming reality that seems to be many times the size of this universe where we can stay forever if we like (since time does not exist there). The more we raise our vibration, the less it seems to matter to us. A couple of years ago, Mikey Morgan showed up at a session I was having with a medium, and he - an extremely high-level being - shimmered between being a kid on a snowboard and a gigantic flash of blue light throughout his visit to us.

13. Convolution

I meant, is there evidence that we remain an individual? Some books I've read (I remember one in particular, by Tessa Lynne) report having direct information from conversations from Spirit, and that the spirit is its own individual, separate from that of the individual soul (us). This soul will then be absorbed into the spirit's individuality (again, not our human/soul individuality) after the life review.

14. RobertaGrimes

We used to think that we remained individual until we chose what we used to call "the second death," which would be merger with the Source. I have been told now by both Mikey Morgan and my own primary guide - two advanced beings I trust completely - that even above what we see from here as the Source level there is much more growth and development to go, and throughout it all we will never lose our individual awareness. The higher we go, the more we work as a team with even hundreds or thousands who are at a similar stage of spiritual development, but they tell us that we are individually aware eternally. Thomas, my wonderful guide, says, "You will never lose awareness. You will have God's awareness." As is true of so many things, this is another of the many things that we cannot really understand because our minds here are so limited, but when we do finally understand them the truth will be wonderful.

15. Convolution

Ok. Thanks for that information.
    There is one part I still don't quite understand.
    We are here, on Earth, as individuals, having forgotten our origin. Our remembrance then, along with our prior personality, remains in the "spirit world", inaccessible to us. Is that correct? That energy that remains there- is it conscious? Does it have volition, and act while we are in the "game of life"?

16. RobertaGrimes

We don't know for certain, but it seems that the aspect of us that remains behind is conscious but is a kind of "dimmed light" and we are its avatar while we are here. I recall reading a hundred-year-old communication from a man through a deep-trance medium who was asked if he had yet seen Aunt Mildred. He said, "Yes. I'm looking at her right now. She is sitting on a bench. She is quiet now because she is having another earth-lifetime." There is no time there as we know time, and I have the impression that we just slow down briefly while a whole earth-lifetime is being lived. As for whose consciousness we have when we go home again, we remain pretty much exactly who we were when we died! But we are right now a shaded version of who we are there, and we do have an eternal identify. My own eternal identify is male, and I had considerable gender confusion until I hit puberty. And now, at 72, I am trending back toward being male again. Knowing so much makes it fascinating for me to watch these things happening in my own life!

Nirvana likes this.
  17. Convolution

I see, OK. I'd read some accounts that indeed the part of our spirit that remains "away from Earth" would remain active and conscious, and that created quite a few strange scenarios and questions in my head. If it were to remain "dimmed", it would make sense that the incarnated consciousness could be primary.

If we "go back" and remain exactly who we are at death, does that imply that birth on earth would be much like the death of the previous personality?

18. RobertaGrimes

Not at all. We accept a new genetic family, new circumstances, new childhood issues. It is very much like coming to a spiritual gym, and we hope that when we go home we will be a bit stronger than we were when we left. Reincarnation virtually never is immediate, since it is nearly always by choice so we spend some R&R time with loved ones from the previous incarnation and with eternal friends before we start to think about another incarnation. Incidentally, we don't necessary choose to live them in earth-time order.

19. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

I personally don't subscribe at all to the idea that some part of us remains in heaven/afterlife while we live here on Earth. However, I have to comment, because your last sentence sounds very much like what happens to Doctor Who. :D

mac likes this.
  20. Convolution

I keep meaning to watch the show, but I've only managed to see the first episode, so far. There are SO MANY. :eek: