1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

Mediums ,getting a surname?

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Storybud68, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Storybud68

Storybud68 Member

hi.Ive been to many mediums over the years, and have talked to many people who been to mediums,and I have personally had mediums getting Christian names of people I know who have crossed over,but I've never heard of a medium getting a Christian name and a surname for a spirit.This to me would greatly enhance my belief that they are actually talking to the spirit.any views very welcome.David

2. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

It would indeed be nice if spirit communicators always provided first and last names along with a bunch of other, persuasive information. Sadly it's often not how things work so we have to be prepared to consider something less.

3. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Storybud68, how many first names exist, do you think? In English alone, many thousands? If mediums were only guessing, what are the odds against chance that a given medium would guess ANY first names correctly? I recall once that a medium came out with Bertha and Jerry and told me right off the bat how I was related to them (mother-in-law and brother-in-law), and she gave me some little personal details about each of their lives. There is no way that she could have gotten information about collateral relatives like them from the Internet! She got my parents' first names correctly as well, but I discount that since there may be a listing of my parents somewhere. As Mac says, it's not the mediums, but the communicators who generally don't bother with surnames!

4. Storybud68

Storybud68 Member

5. Storybud68

Storybud68 Member

Thanks guys.but I'm just curious in your own experiences have you ever heard or come across it?

6. mac

I'd have to research for the details but to the best of my recollection there have been evidential mediums who have provided both names. But this is going back several decades to a time when mediumship was more observed than it is now, perhaps when there were more - and more accomplished - practitioners. I can't think of anyone now who provides both names.

It's actually something I've asked about myself but the only reasonable explanation seems to be that after a time (there is no time as we experience it, of course, 'over there') names become less important to those discarnates who manage to communicate their existence. We don't know how important they are to those who we don't hear from. Some discarnates don't even appear to convey their first names!

But mediumship is far from being definable in detail. It's a mixture of the competence /experience/knowledge of the communicator and the receptiveness /experience/ understanding of the go-between, the medium. I'd say it's arguable that an accomplished, experienced medium may 'have the way' to tease out more relevant detail from a communicator. It's hardly different than what we experience as incarnates. Accomplished interviewers may be able to tease out from less experienced - or evasive! - interviewees more than a less experienced interviewer. And in many ways a medium may be likened to an interviewer - the medium may need to hear a snippet of information but then mentally quiz their discarnate 'interviewee' to glean a little more evidence about it to say more about who the communicator is or was.

I'd love to hear the position from a medium's standpoint but sadly we don't have any active ones on ALF.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  7. Storybud68

Storybud68 Member

Thanks mac really appreciate all your insight.and taking the time to reply in detail it's invaluablecheers David

8. mac

I've asked friends on another website if they can help with this topic and it's led to an interesting conversation there too! ;) I'm hoping for another reply there shortly.

Whether we'll move forward with this subject remains to be seen! :D

9. bill zola

bill zola Member

Today I went for the second time to a Spiritualist church. A British medium Paul Jacobs was there. He pointed to me and said Joe is here. The love of my life was also there. A while back another psychic told me that my brother Joe greeted my Susie when She transitioned.
    Paul mentioned many things about Susie and I writing to each other that only we knew. She tolf mr it was important today to make Her presence felt as I have been feeling so alone part of this week.

10. mac

It's good to hear that our Brit evidential mediums are helping over on the other side of the big pond. :)

11. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

When a medium brings in a Dis-incarnate, like my late wife or mother, I know it's my late wife or mother by the way I FEEL rather than being told that "so and so" is here. The "proof" of the Dis-incarnate's presence or identity (late wife) is in how I FEEL more than any name, image or piece of information. The same thing happens when my new fiance's mother or late husband appears to me (but not my fiance?) and I don't even know them at all but I FEEL it is actually them appearing to me from time to time in our relationship. I could never prove it is the spirit/Dis-incarnate I perceive but my feeling or intuition is good enough for me. If a medium said, "Lucy Richardson is here.", it would mean nothing to me unless I could FEEL that Lucy Richardson (my late mother) is actually here.

12. bill zola

bill zola Member

I agree Jimrich. The feeling is what matters. Sometimes they get the names right and sometimes not. I even had a dream of walking wqith my late wife but Her name was different but it was definitely Her energy.

13. Shirley Shockley

Shirley Shockley New Member

My uncle has been to a psychic when he was going through some business related issue in his life. He faced financial crises due to it. Someone told him to talk to a psychic to know why he was facing these problems. He then found Voyance Direct from Martine Voyance by searching on the internet. Even this can be her surname. Psychics have six sense that can see our past as well as future. They can tell you what is not letting you live your life peacefully.

14. mac

I'm unsure if I should be leaving the link in your posting because it looks like advertising. It is, however, a French website and largely unattractive to an English speaking membership anyway I'm guessing. So for now I'm not moderating it but I am adding my reaction in the following paragraph. I hope they will be interesting and relevant points concerning psychics.

In general terms I caution anyone tempted by visiting such practitioners - caveat emptor are the watchwords when entrusting decisions to commercial advice sites, whatever their advertised skills. Also to correct what's being claimed psychics don't have a so-called 'sixth sense' but may be able to read from their clients what's happened in their past. It's also not possible for them to see their clients' future or more accurately it's only possible for them to see potential future outcomes. That's down to the practioners' attributes and abilities and it's in those you're putting your trust if you follow their 'guidance'. There is no proven, reliable, commercial sixth-sense ability else if there were the possessors wouldn't be likely to be running an advice website - they'd be making money hand-over-fist.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017