1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

Many questions! Signs from grandma?

Discussion in 'Afterlife Evidence' started by Filip, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Filip

Filip New Member

Hello fellow forum members,
    I'm a new member and i have been registered on this forum so i can
    provide you with my experiences and also ask many questions that concern me lately.
    Well,my beloved grandma has died approximately 1 year ago,and since then i became interested
    in religion and spirituality,but although i searched everywhere,i haven't found many answers,that's why i came here...

First of all,i had some blinking lights going on at my house,and a slight breeze coming around me when the window is closed,sometimes.
    Do you think it may be her sending me signs or is it me just grieving?

Secondly,i have many questions regarding these matters,so please let me elaborate:
    -Many people die everyday,why we haven't ever gotten definite evidence that life continues? And why many dead people wouldn't want the truth
    to be revealed? For instance,JFK was murdered,but we have no definite answer as to what exactly happened...Wouldn't he want people to learn
    the truth about this mystery,or take revenge from his murderers?
    Why he hasn't showed any signs yet?? And i mention him because he was a prominent figure.
    -We have lots of hearsay evidence,and events that i consider possible like NDE/OBEs,remote viewing etc. I have read about them in other sites like near-death.com.But when people like Eben Alexander,Anita Moorjani,Sam Parnia,who have written books which became Amazon best-sellers,have been debunked,
    at least accordingly to some articles i read recently(e.g.Keith Augustine),then what hope remains that these phenomena are real?
    -Quantum mechanics isn't evidence,as it is open to many interpretations, with no one being definitive,as in the double-slit experiment,which is fascinating.
    -When a 3-year old child dies,he has no memories and no personality. Where is his soul? And where does God fit into this tragic picture?
    -I was raised as an Orthodox Christian,but i think Heaven/Hell would be too big to contain all those souls.So where are they,in another dimension maybe?
    And after so many years,with all this technology,we still don't know if Jesus even existed,and the Gospels are real or fictitious.
    -If indeed there is an afterlife,then why so much need for control and power on this earth,since it will be finally in vain?
    -My brother,who is an atheist,had a sleep paralysis last year. Do you believe it is a hallucination or something paranormal?
    Please,if someone can answer those questions,at least partially,i would be grateful!! I'm not a debunker,i'm open-minded to all possibilities,i just want some hope!! Because with all those things that happen in this materialist society,it is very easy to lose hope and become totally irreligious...

2. Celera

Celera Active Member

Hi Filip!

You ask some great questions. Many of these subjects have been discussed on the forum, you may want to search on a few keywords. You might also want to read through the "Carol and Mikey" thread as it contains discussions of a lot of these things.

The idea that the "afterlife" is actually in a different dimension, sort of, is a pretty common concept. In any case, the ideas of "heaven" and "hell" are taken by modern Christians from some pretty scant references in the Bible -- it's surprising how little the afterlife is discussed in Scriptures. Most of the evidence suggests that the afterlife is much more complex than the "heaven/hell" dichotomy, and that we have much more control over where we are and what we do there.

Actually, scholars generally don't debate whether Jesus existed - it's pretty clear there was an historical person named Jesus, who came from Nazareth in Galilee, who went around speaking to groups of people, and whose crucifixion by the Romans led to a Jewish sect that became Christianity. I just started reading an interesting book called "Zealot" by Reza Aslan who talks about this historical person and the culture and political environment in which he lived.

Those are a few thoughts that come to my mind after reading your post. Welcome to the discussion! We're all learning together here.

3. Filip

Filip New Member

First of all,thank you for your answer!! My opinion on Jesus,is also that he existed,he was a teacher,
    but the Gospels have been later changed as to fit the Vatican and its aspirations. In 325AD,Constantine,the emperor of Rome,
    organised the Council of Nicaea,in which all the sects were gathered together to decide which Gospels would be the official ones,the dogma.
    As for now,from my knowledge,Sam Parnia organized the AWARE study in order to study the NDE/OBE phenomenon,but as for now he hasn't got any hits...:(
    My belief has always been the soul exists and continues its journey after the physical death,but after reading a lot of stuff,i cannot be fully convinced,unfortunately,as
    there is always a scientific explanation for NDEs...

4. Matty Mo

Matty Mo New Member

Hi Filip, and welcome the forums. Celera is correct that you can find many answers on your great questions by searching the site. There are so many great individuals on this site and it seems like many of us have areas that we enjoy speaking to as well. One of my particular areas that I truly enjoy are NDE studies and stories. I've cut and pasted something from a previous post regarding NDEs that I shared below.

"....if it makes you feel any better there a more and more "scientific minds" that have been involved in, or starting to, research NDEs. We all know the pioneer, Dr. James Moody, but a few more prominent individuals, are Dr. Jeffrey Long, Dr. Sam Parnia, P.M.H. Atwater, Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, and Dr. Pim Van Lommel to name a few. You are correct that these, and others researchers, may not be taken seriously "as a whole" by the scientific community. Yet some of the greatest researchers and brilliant minds in our history probably fell in that camp at one time or another.

Some of NDE's biggest opponents are reductionist scientific minds that want to simply try and excuse NDEs as tricks of the brain, or the release of chemicals like DMT due to a stressful situation. There can be some validity in certain cases that these hold true. However, if one were to really delve into NDE cases, which many reductionists and skeptics won't do, it's just ridiculous to try and ascertain, to me at least, that all these individuals are just having "hallucinations" from Cerebral hypoxia, as it's most often referred to.

There just seem to be too many qualities about reported NDEs that don't allow for a simple "dying brain" theory the way that we understand the brain to work now. For instance, the majority of individuals that have experienced, and reported, and NDE claim to have had "extremely vivid" yet highly coherent experiences like speaking to a loved one that has passed, or witnessing themselves outside their bodies. Logic would dictate a dying brain hallucination would rather create images of a cartoon dog running around a purple field chasing around a car that looks like an orange rather than such clear and enduring visions.

Also, the lasting effect these NDEs have on the bulk of those that claim to have had one, or more, seems rather genuine to me. These are things many of them remember vividly, even a multitude of years after it happened. Seems to me hallucinations shouldn't have that kind of recall in our brains like NDE experiences seem to."

In addition to that, skeptics completely grasp at straws while trying to debunk other aspects of NDEs like out of body experiences. There are so many wonderful out of body experiences during NDEs. I've linked one of the more famous that you many or may not of heard of, the Pam Reynolds case. It's actually quite funny how some skeptics try to dismiss an OBE.

Here's a great example, an NDEr experiences an OBE during a life threatening surgery where they actually flatline on the table. They then travel around the hospital where they experience what their loved ones are doing and saying, many times also knowing their inner thoughts. After they're revived and are eventually able to communicate the exact things that their loved ones were saying, doing, and thinking while they were out of their body is simply uncanny.

The best a skeptic can say is something to the effect, "well, they probably overheard their loved ones talking about what they were doing while they were in recovery." Really? This is the best you've got, skeptics? Things like this have made me quite tired of listening to skeptics try to debunk everything about NDEs that I've gotten past the point of even listening to them attempt to do so.

I'm all for looking for answers but when there are extraordinary portions like this, that seem to get dismissed so easily, this simply tells me that nothing could convince these hardcore skeptics that NDEs are indeed valid. Most NDE skeptics I've read about try to isolate certain portions of NDE experiences, form a logical explanation i.e. a wicked DMT trip, then claim to have debunked the entire experience, which is laughable and in no way "scientific".

If I could suggest anything, read as much as you can about these and also read people's experiences and then decide for yourself if you believe them to be valid. I absolutely believe they are as you can tell. :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  5. janef

janef Moderator

Hi Filip,
    I am new to the Forum as well and I think we are all seeking the truth. I am non-religious but I personally know for sure life exists after we die, had an OBE years ago, (had not even heard of them before it happened to me.) I was on the phone with my therapist after it happened and he told me what it was. It is an experience that cannot be dismissed, and probably not totally understood as it is beyond our comprehension here on earth. It was a Spiritual experience of love and peace. And I think it takes a personal experience before one can really believe. Be open minded and trust the signs. Your blinking lights probably was Grandma!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  6. Fudge

Fudge New Member

Hi Filip,
    I think we all have what I call boundaries of believability where we reach the limits of what we are prepared to accept until we personally experience an event that opens a gate and we go through to the next field and explore everything that exists in relation to our experience until we reach another boundary and so on.

We aren't meant to know everything all at once or we might as well have stayed in spirit. It's not always the knowing of something that enhances us but the doing of it. We could all be told everything but it's the striving for it that makes it more rewarding when it is achieved or discovered. That way it becomes more a part of who we are.

Regarding the sleep paralysis, that is something I experienced but I am convinced that it is paranormal although many would argue against it. In my experience I was staying at a country cottage and one particular night I felt something heavy crawling up on top of me. I felt it spreading up from my right leg and moving in a diagonal direction to cover me but before it covered me entirely I used my consciousness to become aware of a bright light over my right shoulder, I mentally grabbed that as my guide and said NO in my head and this heavy weight suddenly went like it had evaporated off me.
    It didn't crawl back off me it just dissipated into nothing.
    Because of my lifelong awareness of most things metaphysical I wasn't as freaked out as others might have been. I sat up, put the light on and talked to it.
    I told it that it had got the wrong person, that I was only staying here temporarily and that if it was looking for someone they would not find them here among the living.
    I didn't experience this again.

Some time later I did read of a similar experience someone else had but in her situation her little girl had actually witnessed this and had seen something on top of her mother and then it had vanished. That and my own experience convinces me that this is not a medical condition or something that the body does.

I'm not saying that the body can't produce these effects, I don't know enough to say that but I am convinced that mine wasn't.

Fudge

7. Filip

Filip New Member

Well,i have researched OBEs and NDEs but never had one,although i have been
    twice under general anesthesia,for two surgeries...
    It was only black,like deep sleep!!

I accept the possibility of NDE/OBE however,as it happens to some people,although they seem to
    be a minority!
    However,there seem to be some flaws in many popular stories,like the one by
    Dr Eben Alexander,for instance...
    About Pam Reynolds,it is very interesting,indeed! Who knows??

My brother,had once a sleep paralysis. He told me he was paralyzed and couldn't speak,while a black human-like figure with yellow eyes stared at him!
    Then he managed to empower himself and turn the other way,telling something like "Jesus is my savior",and he slept normally. However,when he woke up in the morning the numbing had remained in his hand!

8. Matty Mo

Matty Mo New Member

From what I've read being under deep anesthesia in no way resembles an NDE experience. Many NDE skeptics will argue against it because they personally came close to death or someone else they knew did and claimed they only experienced darkness. With this they try write off NDE experiences as delusion because they, or someone they know, had no recall.

This is logical and I can understand that but do they not see the issue of claiming, "my experience is the correct experience and there's nothing after death because I didn't personally experience anything." So only their experience counts as being valid? It's okay to write off other people's experiences as false while supporting that your experience is the only valid argument? Seems rather hypocritical and judgmental to think that way in my opinion. It's the same way when someone mocks someone who claims to have seen a ghost. Non-believers write it off as delusion since they've not experienced such a thing.

There's nothing wrong with taking this approach. Even though I'm highly agreeable to the phenomena I would never try to convince someone they had to believe they were valid.

As one poster commented on that site, "You can't exactly debunk anecdotal evidence of a subjective experience." Here's the thing, NDEs will NEVER be accepted as a form of evidence by anyone who clings to materialist dogma. The reason being is that it is anecdotal and they always want hard proof. If they can't see it, smell it, touch it, feel it, or taste it, figuratively speaking, it can't be supported as evidence. They are working within the confines of what they know so I don't fault them for that. Another thing to think about is that what constitutes evidence to one doesn't work for the next so you will never appease everyone.

This is another reason I don't even waste time arguing with people that will only accept evidence that fits their current understanding of the way things are. Again, this is a great example of isolating a piece of an experience and then claiming the entire experience was debunked. You can even find comments and opinions, on the internet, that claim Pam's case has been debunked.

However, we need to remember that for every point, there's probably a valid counterpoint. Just because someone throws a piece of info out and then claims that they've debunked it probably have just as many detractors on the opposite side of the fence that could debunk their theory. Many people's egos won't allow them to feel less intelligent or understanding of a topic than others i.e. politics. Thus we wind up with a bunch of people having cyclical arguments that never truly resolves anything except to make people more angry and/or making people hold each other in further contempt.

I wish you happy hunting in your continued search for answers. You'll find what fits and doesn't fit for you. That's just one of the many great things that life offers.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  9. Hello, Filip, I wanted to add what others have said. I do think blinking lights can be a sign, since spirits are energy without a physical body, electricity can be easy for them to fool with. About the anesthesia, I have been under twice myself. The first time was for knee surgery. For that initially, I did go into a deep sleep at but then I became aware of rumblings above me, and time went very fast. I didn't feel anything and I don't think anything metaphysical happened there I think that was just the anesthesia tapering off toward the end maybe? The second time I had an endoscopy and I remember them sticking this straw like thing in my mouth and then I was out. Personally I like being totally out during surgery or a medical procedure. I did not want to be aware of floating out of my body or anything like that.

As for as avenging murders, like JFK, revenge is not an emotion felt in the higher realms in the afterlife and it doesn't seem to be desired from what I understand. And how has Eben Alexander and Anita Moorjani been debunked? Do you have info on this? It seems like someone that medically treated them would have called them out as frauds but I haven't heard that. Anita Moorjani had stage 4 cancer and was in a coma, and Eben Alexander was in a coma as well, due to meningitis. That they both recovered fully is a true miracle in itself, even if their nde stories aren't true. I've seen Anita Moorjani in many videos and read a lot about her, including her book, and she always seems to radiate joy. I don't think a faker could do that. Maybe I'm wrong. But she always seems positive. I have found some of the things she says in her book to be helpful in living my life. Because it rings true for me I cannot deny the truth of it for myself. She talks about how she disregarded herself all her life and after her nde she realized she was a wonderful being-as all people are-and there was no need to disrespect herself anymore. I think, personally, that every living thing is an energy system. This meat shell we call a body isn't really who we are. Trust me.:)

10. janef

janef Moderator

One night not long ago our ceiling fan in the living room went on by itself. Then a couple of hours later when we went to bed the light in the ceiling fan above our bed went on by itself. Both have remotes but are not connected to each other. Has never happened before, or since. Strange coincidence. Have no idea what the meaning was... maybe just a reminder of loved ones on the other side.... saying "Hello" I welcome all messages... bring them on!

11. Sorry, Filip, you did name someone who has debunked Anita Morjani and Eben Alexander. I should have read your post more carefully. I'll have to look at what that person says. When I read a skeptic's point of view there are usually some holes in it that usually don't account for the whole experience. Skeptics in general have closed minds which close them off from their own spirituality. Thus they "prove" their own point.

12. Filip

Filip New Member

No problem! The link i provided tells that Eben Alexander didn't accurately describe the medical procedure
    undergone,not providing a full medical record of his experience!
    As for Anita,i think it's the same,i have read that she may have been misdiagnosed!
    I'm open-minded however,and think all these experiences are indeed subjective and can't be so easily refuted or debunked...

13. An open mind is always good! I hope you enjoy it here.

14. That's cool! Right after my mom in law passed I asked her to flick the lights as a sign-nothing-happened. Then late that night the power went off for an hour and a half. There was no storm or power outage to cause it, and we found out no one else on the street lost their power. Guess she overdid it, lol.

15. janef

janef Moderator

She wanted to make sure you got the message...lol

16. Yeah, that was her style!:)

17. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Filip, the link you provided in regards to the debunking of Dr. E. Alexander is based on a story that was originally published by the Esquire. Frankly, the way I see it, there was no debunking but the usual cherry-picking and the distortions so loved by the uberskeptics.
    In regards to Anita’s case, as medical professionals we admit that spontaneous remissions/cures do happen, but we do not know how and why they occur. Cases were a misdiagnosis was made are not that common, though they do happen on occasion.
    In regards to Dr. Parnia, the “hits” you refer to may be the cards the investigators wanted to place close to the ceiling, hoping that patients having an NDE and “floating around” would see the cards and report seeing them when they return to their body. These “hits”, these cards are not part of the experiment, because the ethical panel denied it. Drs. Parnia and Fenwick have (finally) reported that the placing of cards near the ceiling was denied by the powers that be.

As a medical professional myself (and former agnostic/atheist) and a student of the “paranormal” I can tell you that there is no significant doubt in my mind that “something is out there”, that we continue to exist, that mind and brain are not one and the same. Many of the movers and shakers in history have been mocked, intimidated, and put inside a prison; they had dared question the “scientific dogma”; history may indeed be repeating itself. The Esquire debunked nothing; in response to the article, Dr. L. Potter stated, “I am saddened by and gravely disappointed by the article recently published in Esquire. The content attributed to me is both out of context and does not accurately portray the events around Dr. Eben Alexander’s hospitalization. I felt my side of the story was misrepresented by the reporter. I believe Dr. Alexander has made every attempt to be factual in his accounting of events. —Dr. Laura Potter”.

Filip, you claim that you are not a debunker and are open to all possibilities. Fine, how much of your time have you given to “the other side”, meaning those who make excellent arguments for life after death, NDEs, etc.? May I suggest you read Dr. Tucker’s book “Return to Life: Extraordinary cases of children who remember past lives”. The final part of his book is rather physics-heavy, but extremely interesting. A few other works I enjoyed and recommend include Dr. Moody’s “Glimpses of eternity” (on shared-death experiences, including his own - at the time of his mother’s passing), and philosopher Chris Carter; I think I may have mentioned him in another post, the one regarding Randi.

To conclude (I do not post much at all but when I do it’s a novel, lol), I do not put a lot of weight on blinking lights, unless I see the “phenomenon” myself and personally find no logical explanation (power surges, etc.). Pretty much the same when it comes to breezes when the windows are closed; my first question would be: did the thermostat kick in? I doubt many things that some attribute to paranormal/spiritual activity, but this is not the purpose of my post.
    Welcome to the forum, Filip; I hope you are sincere in your quest for hope and answers :)

18. Filip

Filip New Member

Well,thank you for answering on this thread!!

I'm totally sincere as i lost my grandma 1 year ago,
    and i'm still grieving and searching for answers...I'm not a debunker,that's for sure, i search for the TRUTH!!!

That's why i registered for this forum!!
    Unfortunately,there is nothing that can count as strong evidence for the afterlife...
    As you said,those breezes and lights are the only signs i have,and they may be totally natural!

I've had some dreams,but we cannot be sure about them also...
    And i'm worried because the evidence,even on this forum,is very little...

As for Eben Alexander,as you showed,most probably his recalling and description
    of the event were correct!! That's good news!
    I haven't read the book you mentioned by Dr Tucker, but i have read a lot of stuff on other sites like near-death.com!

As for Sam Parnia,where did you get this information?? If this happened,then it's clearly an obstruction of the scientific process,maybe he should
    sue some persons!!

19. Filip

Filip New Member

And to add up to my previous post,i honestly don't want Eben Alexander and Sam Parnia to be debunked,
    otherwise you understand the implications?? Materialism wins forever!!
    These men are our last hope!!

20. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Nope, they cannot sue anyone. It is a video by the NOUR Foundation. Hope I have the correct link here (believe so):
    http://www.nourfoundation.com/videos/experiencing-death-an-insiders-perspective.html

I will also disagree that there is “nothing that can count as strong evidence for the afterlife…”. When my patients are able to tell me what was going on in the cafeteria, outside the emergency room, in the waiting room (the patients being under anaesthesia), and we later discover there’s absolutely no way they could have known what was said, who was where, that tells us something. When a child who has had a NDE is revived and tells you about meeting his brother, gives details, and then the mother nearly collapses upon hearing this because she remembers the miscarriage she had years and years before, one tends to pay attention. A child draws the experience he had while having an NDE. He draws a baby whose heart is very large. When asked about the baby, he says that baby is going to be his brother. Months later the child’s mother discovers she is pregnant and when she gives birth, her baby boy is born with a heart defect. Coincidence? Always possible…. This last example is from an account I read, the account written by a pediatrician in Seattle. But perhaps the very best evidence I had for myself is when I was visiting with an old friend, we heard a truck pull up, my friend goes out and she is looking at a young woman standing next to the truck. My friend crumples to the ground, I rush to help her, the young woman is gone. I later find out the young woman had died, she was my friend’s daughter; and when I saw the picture, it was the same woman I had seen that night. No hysteria here, I’m always as cool as a cucumber, my profession requires it, and it is my nature. Anyway, when stuff like this happens, I pay attention. All I can think is that for some reason which I cannot comprehend at this time, I was meant to have these experiences, perhaps because I’ve always been such a hard-ass “skeptic”! Dear Filip, the evidence is here and there. As far as I am concerned, there is nothing I have to prove to the skeptics or anyone else for that matter; perhaps the table needs to be reversed and we need to ask the skeptics to prove there is nothing after death. The “scientific method” - though the best thing we have at our disposal for some things, at this moment in time – is sorely inadequate and limited. I could spend enormous amounts of time arguing with the uber-skeptics, but frankly I have little patience for them; just too old and cranky I suppose. No, that’s not true, it’s just that I have very low tolerance for the zealous uber-skeptics and their “Swiss cheese arguments”, lol.

Drs. Alexander and Parnia (and others, I’m sure) will have the usual skeptic crowd intent on debunking, and I expect that at some point the debunkers will do their usual cherry-picking and claim victory. It is amazing how many skeptics’ reports I read that contained inaccurate reporting and came to erroneous conclusions (logic fails them, most of the time). I truly believe that materialism will not “win forever”; I see it as having started its swan’s song, with the relatively few proponents grasping at straws and becoming more and more aggressive in their pursuit to “educate” the rest of us.
    I’ll leave you to your journey, Filip, and hope you will find whatever you’re seeking.