1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

lost threads

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by mac, Mar 24, 2017.

1. mac

mac Staff Member

I don't know what the 'New Profile Posts' section is for but recently posted a response for Amina there. That response may be of help to others wondering where their older postings have gone. My thoughts are based on what I've observed because I'm not involved with the website's operation.

When the old website had problems this new one was created based on the old one's database. The problem is, though, that the index of member's postings relates to this new website. One's contributions to old threads may not be shown. The threads are still there but finding them needs some recollection of details in them and a search.

(edited)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Kurt likes this.
  2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Yes, Mac - exactly, and thank you for helping to spread this word. It's on my list to try to find out whether the older posts can be indexed - that seems to be theoretically possible - but I'll be traveling for the next three weeks so I have no time now. Please remind me in a month, maybe?

3. mac

mac Staff Member

I'll remind you if my memory stretches that far but I do wonder if there's really any great need. At first I thought I might want to consult older postings but the reality is that it's only on rare occasions that I might - what's passed has passed.

Now if it were really easy, such as by pushing an electronic button and leaving software to run in the background at no additional cost, I'd say go for it but otherwise I'd question its value. I did wonder if I could do a work-around but I couldn't think of a simple way.

4. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

I agree that we don't need to go back over old ground, but newcomers may well want to research a particular question. It's primarily for them that I would like them to be able to search all the threads (even though some are embarrassing!).

5. mac

mac Staff Member

It looks like a job for your website administrator then, Roberta, the guy who rescued the data from the oiginal ALF website and created this new version of it.

I still wonder, though, if it's a sledge-hammer to crack a nut.