1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

Las Vegas massacre

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by jimrich, Oct 6, 2017.

1. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

This may be a bad time to talk about such horrendous and painful stuff but it often comes up in philosophy and spirituality that such horrifying events seem beyond the realm of understanding and acceptance.
    My new beloved and I were recently talking about why and how such horrifying stuff happens and to what purpose? - assuming the Creator has a genuine purpose for such pain and misery.
    I am quite steeped in Eastern Non-duality and Unity or Oneness concepts, teachings and beliefs so everything that happens in life or the universe has a definite purpose or reason from my current perspective but I have no explanation for what the purpose of the Las Vegas massacre could possibly be.
    If everything that happens in life is supposed to teach someone something, I cannot say what was to be learned by the victims and survivors of Las Vegas. I have a few "spiritual" concepts about the massacre but would not toss them at random others and especially not at those most hurt or damaged by the massacre. I am confident that we do not actually die so having such a horrifying experience as those that were murdered in Las Vegas is way beyond my current philosophy or understanding. I suppose one would have to be in the Spirit realm to understand why the massacre occurred and what benefits it brought - if any.
    Spiritual philosophy attempts to explain why horrifying things happen but I won't say what I've found in that realm since it will only hurt or inflame those who are currently suffering from that incredible event. IMO, it's not much comfort to be told that the even had to happen and that all's well over in the Spiritual realm.
    What's your take on the Las Vegas massacre?

2. Ed A.

Ed A. New Member

A teacher I like compares it to coming across one paragraph of one page of a novel -- say Moby Dick -- and trying to make sense of the story from that one paragraph. It would be impossible. We only have access to a tiny piece of the story.

That helps me, on an intellectual level. I can see why certain things are so far beyond my awareness/intelligence/knowledge, that there is no way I will ever comprehend. And I just have to trust that it makes sense somehow.

That doesn't really help someone who has gone through a tragedy, though. It just comes across as a platitude. I think you just have to join them in their incomprehension and grief.

3. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a purpose to the massacre. I think one person decided to take it upon himself, for reasons we still don't (and may never) know, to kill as many people as he could. I also don't believe there is a "Creator", and if there is and it allows such pain and misery when it could stop it, then it is an evil being, as far as I'm concerned.

Not everything in life is meant to teach someone something, in my opinion. Some things probably are, maybe even many things, but IMHO some shit is just shit, without rhyme, reason, or purpose.

Ed A., although I don't share your view that this will "make sense somehow", I do agree with your final paragraph, and regardless of one's personal beliefs, I think that what you stated in that third paragraph is the best, most helpful way to behave if you interact with someone who has been through a tragedy.

4. mac

mac helper Staff Member

I think that teacher summed up very well and I agree totally with the sentiment in the last sentence. I struggle, and usually fail, every time such incidents occur to make any spiritual sense of what happened. I remain open-to-be-persuaded that all of them are orchestrated to help bring about an ultimately-beneficial outcome. Yet in many I see potential intentions and in many more I see that 'good' comes from something that looks so 'bad' initially.

I do accept, though, that in the grand scheme of things even such desperately sad events likely pale into insignificance but my 'hard-wired' human emotions (yes even 'mac' does have them!) tell me something different.

Reconciling the two opposing emotions is a constant battle for me.

5. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

I agree and best wishes to all............

6. mac

mac helper Staff Member

Like so many mass killings before, this one has slipped off the front pages and is no longer breaking news - just like the killings in my own country.

It's totally understandable because we can make no sense of what happened and life goes on little changed other than for those directly impacted. I'd guess most of us won't remember many details by the time 2018 rolls around, just like we probably can't recall details of the massacre in San Bernardino, CA that grabbed the headlines not so very long ago. Or the shooting in Tucson AZ in 2011 of US Representative Gabby Giffords along with thirteen others. Six were killed that day, comparatively small beer. How-many would 'many' be one wonders?

The brutal shootings were something that occupied national and Arizona TV news channels and outlets for months, mostly forgotten except by us Arizonans. What do we make of such senseless and brutal events? Perhaps we should empathise with those affected, support them all we can but then put the events out of our minds and get on with life?

jimrich likes this.
  7. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

That's life

8. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

I suppose that's the only thing to be done, unless one is in a position of power and can truly effect change on a large scale (which is certainly not the case with me).

9. mac

mac helper Staff Member

Perhaps only the most brutal of regimes could impose the changes needed. There are such regimes but I'm sure we wouldn't want or be prepared to live under them, even if they could deliver.

Maybe such atrocities are part of the price of freedom.