1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Is this proof of the afterlife??

Discussion in 'Afterlife Evidence' started by dreams9, Jan 2, 2018.

?

have you had an experience you might consider proof of afterlife?

1. yes, it was very specific not general

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. no, never specific enough

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. dreams9

dreams9 New Member

its a rhetorical question really but nonetheless interesting.

i'm an older male person whose mother passed away 15 years ago.

she lived in the era of the post war, 40s and 50s.

i am writing about her early career as a minor show biz person, though i did not grow up with her.

i had a dream the other week, it has kind of bothered me ever since simply because t was so uncanny.

the female voice told me about something i can not mention here on a public forum because it s do unique i do not want to divulge it. but it told me about something i could not have possibly known, it is such a small detail it could be overlooked. so i went on google, put t in and found nothing. i tried harder and eventually found it. tada! it is something unique to the 1940s.

i can promise i did not know this, subconsciously or otherwise. i wonder if this was meant to be proof of an afterlife?? to me specifically.

2. dreams9

dreams9 New Member

hi juniper, no there was no visual imagery at all. reminded me of an old radio trying to pick up helvetia like that, far away, i couldn't say i could make out any charactistics of the female voice, it certainly was not loud r clear that's for sure.

3. mareke

mareke New Member

Dreams9 the sort of dream you described is mentioned by some of Michael Newton’s subjects in his book ‘Destiny of Souls’ as a way in which a person in the spirit world can attempt to reach a loved one. It was almost certainly your mother letting you know that she’s in the spirit world and thinking of you.

My own mother I believe sent a sign after she died when I went back to the city I grew up in to attend the funeral of someone I went to school with. After the funeral I went back to the home I grew up in with my younger brother who now owns the house and as we were talking in the lounge room there was a sound in the adjacent kitchen loud enough for me to stop talking for a moment as my brother and I wondered what had made the sound. The kitchen is where my mother spent a lot of time cooking and cleaning. I believe that my mother’s spirit moved an object in the kitchen to let us know that she was there for our reunion but I can’t prove it.

A much stronger and more specific sign happened to me around 15 years after my mother died. She suffered from severe mental illness for much of her life undiagnosed as I grew up causing a lot of stress to all members of the family. My father was borderline mentally ill and did nothing to protect his children making for a difficult upbringing.

After attending two séances (one I couldn’t fault while the other conducted by one of the leading physical mediums in the world today was fraudulent) I decided to try and send my mother a message in the spirit world.

I’ll try and be as brief as I can. The gist of my message was that I wanted my mother to know that she is not forgotten and is still loved and that I appreciated all of the little acts of love on her part towards her children as we grew up. I didn’t want my mother to feel bad about the stress her illness caused me and other members of the family. I also said that I hoped that she was enjoying herself in the spirit world and not to worry about members of the family left behind.

The exact last words I said were:

Immediately after saying the above words a large cardboard box containing toner cartridges that had been sitting on a cabinet in my lounge room for around 4 years suddenly fell off the cabinet spilling the toner cartridges onto the floor. I got up and turned the light on and surveyed the mess and wondered how it could have happened.

After putting the toner cartridges back in the box and putting the box back on the cabinet I turned the light off, lay down on my couch and my cat came over and lay next to my chest as I pondered the timing of what just happened. There was enough peripheral light in the room for me to see the silhouette of my cat.

I wondered whether the incident could have been a response from the spirit world to my attempt to send my mother the message. The only way to confirm it I thought would be to ask for another sign so I decided that there was no harm in doing so. I decided to ask for another object to be moved to confirm that the box of toner cartridges falling over wasn’t just a random event.

About 10 seconds later after requesting that another object be moved me and my cat spontaneously turned our heads in perfect unison to the sound of something move in another part of the room. I then looked back at my cat and saw his silhouette in the dark and he was still staring at the same part of the room that we had both turned to. My cat was still trying to work out what had made the sound that we both heard.

I believe that it was my spirit guide that responded in this way.

The incident occurred by the way while I was having a debate on a computer forum (Overclockers Australia) as to whether humans have souls and whether there is an afterlife. The topic of the debate was ‘Scientists offer quantum theory of soul's existence’. I believe that it was purely co-incidental that the incident happened during the debate however when I used the incident in the debate as evidence for a spirit world and an afterlife the response I got was that they were both random events and proved nothing.

When something like that happens it’s only really meaningful to the person that experiences it. I no longer tell other people I meet about it because they dismiss it. My low mentality neighbor on hearing the story started making sounds through the wall between our units at night thinking that I’d think they were signs from the spirit world.

Amore likes this.
  4. Ed A.

Ed A. Member

I marked myself down as "no." I had multiple "signs" from a deceased loved one, some of them very specific, but I'm not going to use the word "proof." I think that's too strong. It's very hard to "prove" the existence of anything spiritual/paranormal, particularly when it's based only on one person's subjective experience.

I feel uncomfortable when I read book titles like Eben Alexander's "Proof of Heaven." I'd prefer a title like "Evidence of Heaven" or "A Case Suggestive of Heaven" (after Ian Stevenson). However, Dr. Alexander failed to consult me before titling his book. I guess you can't climb the bestseller list with a title like "A Case Suggestive of Heaven." I'd make a lousy agent.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Amore and bluebird like this.
  5. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Agreed. :)

6. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

I believe it is meaningless to try and prove anything that we feel needs proof while we live here, because what we experience here is temporary, but who we are is eternal.

7. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

:D

8. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

Should have been "Proof of Something, But I'm Not Sure What".

Amore likes this.
  9. mac

Or perhaps 'Suggestions Of Something Out-of-the-Ordinary'??? :D

10. Ed A.

Ed A. Member

I just googled it and saw you're right. He preferred the title "An N of One." I do, too. For those who aren't familiar with the phrase, "N" is the number of subjects in your study, so "An N of one" is a study with a single subject -- a case study, or, in other words, a single person's experience. Good humble, scientific language, with no implication of "proof." But I guess the publisher carried the day.

I liked Bob Olson's interview (search Youtube for Afterlife TV and Eben Alexander, if you're interested) better than the book, which I found sort of dry.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  11. Ed A.

Ed A. Member

Yeah, he's a neurosurgeon, what do you expect... I can't read more than a page of that stuff without falling asleep. That's why I liked the interview -- he conveyed more emotion, and his sincerity was more evident. He even came across humble. In the book, he sounded a little puffed-up -- maybe because he needed to establish his credentials, or maybe it was just the usual narcissism that goes along with being a brain surgeon.... I liked when he said it was unfortunate that it needs to be a "doctor" reporting it, for people to take it seriously.

I'm guessing (not sure) that part of his warmth in the interview came from the fact that he is talking to an audience that "gets it." I can only imagine the questioning and doubt he got from his physician colleagues. I'm betting that, like a lot of NDE'rs, he was relieved to find a community of people he could relate his experience to, and be understood and accepted. I was listening to Mary Neal last night, and she said one of the downsides of having an NDE is that you feel isolated, because "no one gets it."

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  12. Harmonica

Harmonica New Member

Very cool dream about your mother! Sounds like evidence to me...:)

13. dingodile

dingodile Member

I think a decent cumulative case for an afterlife can be made, drawing on NDEs, interactive ghost sightings, deathbed visions, and mediumistic communications (especially of the drop-in sort), but I wouldn't say it rises to the level of proof. Then again, in real life few things do rise to the level of proof.

14. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Few things indeed can be proven! And the fact that our minds are eternal is one of those few things than be proven six-ways-to-Sunday. You simply haven't read enough of the right evidence. Here are three terrific videos from Craig Hogan that were mentioned elsewhere, but deserve broad circulation here:

The Mind Is Not in the Brain:
    The Brain Is Superfluous:
    There Is Nothing but Mind and Experience:

Once you understand that your mind is independent of your brain, then the abundant and consistent evidence about the afterlife and how it functions is simply common sense about what comes next!

SashaS and pandora97 like this.
  15. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

I'm watching these now. I like this guy. Thanks for posting them. It's funny, but Swedenborg says some of the same things about the afterlife being just like here, but without the drawbacks.

16. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

The publisher sold far more books with its preferred title than it would have with the one Dr. Alexander preferred.

17. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

All I can say here is that none of my many contact with Disincarnates and experiences related to the afterlife (heaven) could be "proven" or placed into evidence so all I can give to anyone is what I have seen and know. Like a UFO or Big Foot sighting, there is nothing to show for these experience(s) other than my WORD. Take it or leave it!
    Your "dream" seems pretty convincing to me but SO WHAT? You are either convinced and happy that you had contact with a Disincarnate (dead person) or not. What more is there to say??? I'd suggest you look at some testimonies by the members here and read a few books to see if your experience was a real contact with the other side or not. For me, it's a routine and comfortable thing but not my whole life interest. i don't mind Disincarnates "dropping by" from time to time but my life is happening here and now in the physical plane so I am less and less interested in Disincarnates and the afterlife now that I KNOW it's real. The best thing about the "afterlife" is the realization that life does not end when we die or our body ceases to live and I'm looking forward to going over into the afterlife (heaven) when my time here is up.

SashaS and Cassie like this.
  18. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

I was part of the joyful NDE faction and considered it definitive proof before moving my research here.

19. mac

I think it's a joyful situation when an NDE situation, experience personally or vicariously, leads on to someone becoming a seeker. Even more joyful when the search becomes persuasion - in whatever way that happens - about our survival beyond death.

Kurt likes this.
  20. STEVEN LEVEE

STEVEN LEVEE Member

Spirit orb caught by friends backyard security cam...1st 10 seconds...from a few days ago:

Kurt and Monika like this.