1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Is it too easy?

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Celera, Oct 12, 2012.

1. mac

mac Staff Member

One step further from considering the name, and the environment experienced, leads on to a notion that Roberta's often brought up - that of the etheric dimension following the physical being an illusory one. In this the element of personal preference for one's environment can be further considered. In one sense it is an illusory world because what's found there has been brought about (to some degree) by the needs and expectations of those journeying through it.

But that world feels just as solid and 'real' as all other dimensions. (however they're perceived by their occupants) For all intents and purposes it can be considered as real as everything else we feel to be real. BUT in the so-called summeland we can influence (to a degree) what we experience; should our psyche be so deeply influenced by our current preferences for weather, food or whatever, to some degree we may create for ourselves the things we desire. We may even find that others there, maybe many others, have already done that very thing and we may then be attracted to the conditions they've created to match their own needs/expectations. The like-attracts-like principle.

It's been taught that our specific desires will be transient - desires for sun, wind, rain, cups-of-coffee, blazing log fires whatever your preference - but they can be satisfied, at least in some degree and for as long as the individual(s) hold those needs/desires. But once adjusted to the many changes, those desires will begin to fade.

2. Birki

Birki Member

I think the senses afforded to us by our human body are very limited. I think we have no idea what wonders are in store for us, and really we cannot comprehend the joys and delights we will find in the afterlife. If you want something from earth there you can have it, but after a while you may find you don't even want it, becuase it is so lackluster compared to what is possible there. Of course both the earth and the summerlands are all an illusion, anyway, on our journey to rejoining God/Mind.

Rising likes this.
  3. And once the desires fade, we will experience contentment.

With Lovingkindness (metta),
    vic

4. mac

mac Staff Member

and much more....

5. Celera

Celera Active Member

Reading this again this morning, I see that I have rather sloppily combined two different, although perhaps related questions.

1. What replaces physical pleasures when we have no physical body? This question is answered to some degree by the comments so far. We can still experience those pleasures, or something like them, if we want to. And it makes sense that if we have no physical body, we won't miss the things that now give it pleasure.

2. This one is harder (for me anyway). If everything is available freely, then what is it worth? Sure, I can imagine a winter-land or autumn-land if that suits my tastes -- but part of the pleasure of the cold wind is that it dares you to survive it, and the pleasure of a fire in the fireplace is that you had to go through the cold to get to it. Part of the pleasure of building something or creating something or learning something is that it takes you some effort to do these things, and there is challenge and often a risk of failure. Part of the pleasure of good wine or a great painting is that these things can't be found all over the place.

On Star Trek (hey, I'm a geek) there is an omnipotent character named Q. He can go to any place or time in the blink of an eye. If something doesn't please or amuse him, he just thinks it into something different. The thing is, Q is a very disruptive being, because he is just so bored.

Again, not trying to be negative or dispute anything that anyone has said about the other levels. It's just so hard to conceive of a world so different from ours.