1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Is it possible for spirits to attach themselves to you and drain your energy?

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by JHK, Feb 18, 2018.

1. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Intriguing. I have heard/read comments from other people like him, stating that they didn't feel it would be right to take money in exchange for their gift. I wonder why he refused to move into a home with more comforts, though? Since your meeting with him, have you figured out what he meant by the "We say 29, that's how we count it as we are" comment?

2. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

No, I am not sure why he preferred to live that way, bluebird. From what I heard, he was very close to nature, enjoyed solitude in the outdoors, so perhaps he felt such amenities unnecessary. This is just my take, have no idea if that is how he really felt :-/
    Also, I never could figure out what he meant by "...that's how we count...", but I now wonder if that wasn't his way to tell us that our time and the time of spirit is quite different, if it exists at all. Again, this is what I think he may have meant, but no way to know for sure. What do you think?

3. bluebird

Seems like a reasonable interpretation to me. :)

4. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

Anything can "change your perspective"! The question is: can you stay with what is: right, true, honest, noble, fair, decent, real, good and, above all, KIND & LOVING?

kim marine likes this.
  5. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

That is what one might call "conditioning" or "programing" where a person starts with good thoughts/feelings and then other forces impose or influence you to lose the good stuff and fall down into the customary, old bad stuff. Watching T.V. news can pull one down or hanging around negative family members and/or friends can make one's perspective "fuzzy and at a lower frequency" due to your past conditioning to take the negatives very SERIOUSLY. As the day goes on, try to notice what influences lower your frequency and this will give you an insight into how you were conditioned to take them so seriously in the past and thus how to stop them from pulling you down from now on. It's about breaking free of old, childhood conditioning and habits or patterns. good luck......

kim marine likes this.
  6. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

Study: Codependency and/or Toxic Shame and it will become very clear why some folks (and "crafty spirits") do similar things in incarnate life. Basically it's about FEAR which sets up stuff like: self defense, greed, dishonesty, power-games, violence, anger, hatred, stupidity, cruelty and on and on.........

Widdershins3 and kim marine like this.
  7. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

Both of these responses were just what I needed to hear tonight! It is as though Consciousness within me is manifesting into a 3D reality on the outside of me, and your posts inspire me to move on with confidence.:cool: It has been happening for almost 35 years, and some periods in my life are more intense than others. It was as though the scenery where I am "speaks" to me at times! It happens in cycles, and this time of my life is intense; good but intense. Thank-you for your wise words Jim.:)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  8. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

The question was rhetorical..... Has it never struck you that I often ask such questions? ;)

9. Widdershins3

Widdershins3 Active Member

Interesting discussion. Years back, an online friendship I valued highly for several years began to degrade. This guy and I had spent years emailing as well as posting to several paranormal-focused forums and I thought I knew his character well. But then he began acting a bit strange--picking fights when previously he'd been very gregarious, making negative comments when before he'd been a pretty positive person, etc. And at the same time he became obsessed with Archons, energy-draining non-human intelligences. I'd never heard of them, but what I read online was really scary and this guy had all the symptoms.

Fast forward to now, when I've recently become interested in the Cluster B (or anti-social) personality disorders and try to read at least an article a day on the subject. And I'm finding similarities to my former friend's behavior as I read. At the moment, I'm on the fence re: is it possible it's ill-intentioned discarnates or a nature-or-nurture human psyche problem? Or both in some unfortunate cases, manifesting with similar, overlapping symptoms? What if "lower Astral" entities can affect something as important as character in human beings?

If that's truly happening, then our prisons might be akin to "feeding stations" for humans being exploited by discarnate predators. And then there's my old friend, who I still miss, and who, from what I hear, is still in a dark place and has never apologized to any of the people he attacked.

10. STEVEN LEVEE

STEVEN LEVEE Member

I cannot recall the name right now, but...I read a book with many instances of this happening. There was a psychiatrist whose wife was a medium. He would use her to address the low level spirits that his patients came to him with...really interesting reading...they would confront the spirit & make it leave...I will try to find it...maybe some of you know the book...

Just found it: Thirty Years Among the Dead by Prof. Carl Wickland

It's available free here...with a bunch of others:

http://www.ghostcircle.com/free-ebooks/

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  11. bluebird

While I don't think anyone (including me) could say definitively that there are no such things as "lower astral entities" or "demons" or "archons" or whatever one chooses to call them, I think the most likely explanation (for your friend, Widdershins, and for anyone demonstrating such a change in personality) is illness, whether it be mental illness such as a personality disorder or physical illness such as a brain tumor. Such a change could also be due to other crappy life circumstances, such as a marriage breaking up, losing a job, death of a loved one, etc. (possibly in conjunction with illness, sometimes).

In my opinion, all of those possibilities should be examined before moving on to considering possible supernatural/paranormal explanations -- Occam's razor at work.

12. Widdershins3

Oh, thank you for that book title! It sounds like it's right up my alley, but I don't remember ever hearing of it before...so many books, so little time!

13. mac

For some time now I've suspected that some psychic/spiritual issues I've heard about are just as likely - if not more likely - to be down to psychological/emotional causes.

ravensgate likes this.
  14. Widdershins3

I agree. The small group of his friends who were impacted by his sudden personality change did quite a bit of research, including into the anti-social personality disorders, and shared the results for a long time. He'd been the center of our group, a very spiritual guy who'd been a priest, so he was the very last person any of us would have expected to morph into his Dark Side self without warning and try to break up an established group of friends. It was interesting too that roughly half of the group actually sided with him and became quite abusive too--?! The rest of us were appalled and heartbroken at what had happened and I still keep a private board going where we can keep up with each other's lives. Still puzzling over the dynamics at work in that group...

15. Widdershins3

I sometimes get that vibe when reading online in spirituality forums, too, Mac. But on the other hand, I'd like to see the psychological community consider other explanations for some cases that practically scream possession or perhaps "overlooking" or influencing of a previously well person.

Can't recall his name, but there was a famous Near Death survivor years back who saw people in a bar being influenced by very degraded spirits who hovered near them and tried to siphon off their pleasure in alcohol consumption. I hope I've got the story straight--it's been a long, long time since I read it, but you know I think of it each time I enter a bar or even walk past one. Which is less often since I read that.

16. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Thank you for posting that reminder - highly recommended!

STEVEN LEVEE likes this.
  17. bluebird

Whatever the cause, it is a shame that your friend was affected so badly, and by extension that you and the rest of the friend group were as well. :(

18. mac

'Overshadowing' is a word once favored. I think it's too much to hope for now that psychologically-based practitioners would ever consider spirit influence when society has so many taboos about death. How would they then reconcile the idea that some individuals after their death still seek to enjoy the pleasures of this world or try to influence or dominate those still living? Some practitioners might but would likely fear professional ridicule should they speak out in favor of such an approach.

I'm sure such events are not uncommon although rarely seen by incarnates. I had a spiritual healer friend who remained very 'worldly'. He liked to drink and enjoyed the company of women although he was married to another of my friends, a sensitive empath who knew of his ways.

He was a driver for a living and often joked about how one particular spirit companion would draw very close to him as he drove his delivery vehicle in order to look through my friend's eyes at the ladies of this world. His route had him leaving home in the early hours to drive several hours and he used to tell me that on some trips he had little recollection of driving but felt his unseen friend had effectively taken over as driver. I was uncomfortable at their relationship but whadya do?

Widdershins3 likes this.
  19. Truth seeker

Truth seeker Member

this last part remind me of a couple of videos

20. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

I think you are recalling George Richie:

https://www.near-death.com/experiences/notable/george-ritchie.html

21. Auseret

Auseret New Member

There is an phenomenon which consists of night mares wherein you feel as if you have a heavy weight on your chest and a paralysis, sometimes the person sees an old woman on the it chest, it is very ancient, the term Hagridden came about because of this!

22. bluebird

Yes, that's sleep paralysis. I've experienced it a few times in my life, though thankfully not often.

23. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

Why do you ask?

24. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

You are welcome, Kim.

25. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

I will only share my own, direct experiences from my own life. Therapy helped me recognize exactly how and when I had been mentally/emotionally damaged as a child by my damaged parents who were damaged by their damaged parents, etc., etc. Then therapy helped me repair the damages and set up healthy boundaries to learn how to live better thereafter. It's a simple version of a very long and painful process but there was never any mention of "ill-intentioned disincarnates" etc. My explorations into self esteem and self worth made it clear that a so-called ill-intentioned anything cannot invade or harm me once my self worth, confidence and RESPECT is back in place and working as healthy boundaries. As a child, I was totally vulnerable to the negative effects of others and other things but therapy RESTORED my natural defenses and self worth. What happened to me was a combination of nature and nurture but mostly BAD nurturing!!
    IMO, this can only happen when a person is made vulnerable and lacks adequate self respect and healthy boundaries to withstand such negative forces - starting with our damaged parents!
    IMO, he could use some kind of psychotherapy or spiritual process to get back his self respect and dignity.

26. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

I'd say that "heavy weight" is just a mass of unresolved, painful or sad and BURIED and repressed feelings that come up at night to some how find release or expression because our normal, awakened mind cannot or will not deal with the pain, sorrow and grief that we've bottled up inside of us. Most folks carry around a group of bottled up, unpleasant feelings that society has taught them to HIDE and never show - except in special situations or in sleep! These unresolved, painful feelings can and will make you sick or KILL you unless you find the courage to let them find release or relief. Good luck.............