1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Is it possible for spirits to attach themselves to you and drain your energy?

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by JHK, Feb 18, 2018.

1. JHK

JHK New Member

And if so, is there anything you can do to rid yourself of them. I realize the following is going to sound far from convincing, and I'm far from convinced myself, but years ago I had a dream of an old woman dressed in black outside my window, gliding back and forth above the ground, looking in the window. I took her to be a "witch" and the dream left me shaken. The way she floated above the ground is what really freaked me out. I eventually had my one and only experience of sleep paralysis in that apartment which was terrifying. So fast forward to tonight and I had a dream I was standing outside my house looking in-the front door was open. And I saw what I think was the same witch moving about in the house, gliding above the floor, only she was younger and more attractive. She thought my house was her home and had taken over. Now I realize it sounds crazy to think some entity or spirit or whatever might have attached themself to me because of these dreams that were so far apart. And I'm not going to go off the deep end over it as it could be nothing. But on the off chance something has attached itself to me, is there anything I can do to rid myself of it?

2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Welcome, JHK! The fact is that there are many low-energy discarnate entities - some of which were once people in bodies - and they feed on fear, so while for the most part they can't harm you much, they have a need to scare you. I don't like to even think about negative stuff, so I'm not an expert in this area, but if you believe you have an attachment of some sort then it is likely that in fact you do. There are so many different kinds of potential attachments that I can't give you an exhaustive set of recommendations, but here are some of the most likely options:

1) Shadow men (which could present as female) need darkness, so sleeping with a night-light can be enough to protect you.

2) Off-track spirits just need to be told that they are dead now and they should look for the loved ones who have come to take them home. You've got to be calm and loving in order to do this well, which is hard in such a situation!

3) Mischievous nasties seem to be in abundant supply. Those who study them could tell you much more about them, but since they also feed on fear your only recourse is to stand up to them. Know that there is no Satan, and the only power these things seem to have is to make you afraid.

4) Extra-terrestrials are all around, and a few of us in particular seem to have been singled out by them for study. I don't know what you can do if you are someone who is being repeatedly abducted by "grays" (which may be organic robots), but some people I have known simply shrug and accept these occasional life-invasions. They don't seem to mean us any harm.

5) Unknowns of various kinds - perhaps a mix of entities - may need the help of a medium who can read them and give you more specific suggestions.

Your most effective protection lies in your refusal to do anything that might attract these things, and in your determination to grow spiritually. DON'T EVER do Satanic rituals or Ouija boards, play negative video games, or even watch scary movies! Instead, put yourself on a path toward raising your spiritual vibration away from fear and toward more perfect love. When your spiritual vibration is high enough, you will never again fear anything.

Widdershins3, kim marine and JHK like this.
  3. JHK

JHK New Member

Thank you for the detailed reply Roberta! I was hoping I could just light some incense or something and tell them to get lost. LOL! I have to admit, my disposition does lean towards fear and worry.

4. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

It's in your power to overcome it. Seriously! lift your vibration toward love, and you will no longer fear anything. Try ACIM, perhaps; or my book, The Fun of Growing Forever. Moving above the fear will make such a difference in your life!

SashaS and kim marine like this.
  5. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

hear, hear to that!

6. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Odds are what you experienced was just another episode of sleep paralysis, or perhaps just a nightmare. You remember the dream and sleep paralysis from years ago, so clearly it had quite an impact on you; therefore, it's not surprising that you had another dream of that same figure again. Also, if you are having some stress in your life (is anything happening in which you feel you are being replaced, literally or figuratively?), the dream could be one way in which your subconscious is trying to work through that problem/issue.

I really think it's most likely that it was just a disturbing dream. However, if you have any spiritual/religious faith, perhaps consider saying a prayer of your faith in your home, asking for blessing, etc., just in case it is more than that.

7. Cute Bear

Cute Bear Banned

What odds? Where can I retrieve this information that you have? What is the odd split between SP and a nightmare and thank you in advance :)

Amore likes this.
  8. bluebird

My opinion only, like virtually everything else I state on this forum. ;)

9. Cute Bear

Cute Bear Banned

Cute Bear said:
    What odds? Where can I retrieve this information that you have? What is the odd split between SP and a nightmare and thank you in advance :)

I see. FYI, "odds" as a ratio, odds as a number, and probability (also a number) are related by simple formulas, and similarly odds in favor and odds against, and probability of success and probability of failure have simple relations. These statistical relationships are borne from the mathematical and precludes opinion.

10. bluebird

Yes, I'm aware of what "odds" means, lol....though you seem to be the only person to not understand that I was speaking more colloquially, as is common in language, particularly on internet discussion forums. ;)

pandora97 likes this.
  11. pandora97

pandora97 Active Member

:rolleyes:

12. Cute Bear

Cute Bear Banned

My opinion only, like virtually everything else I state on this forum. ;)

13. bluebird

But of course, and completely expected.

14. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

Yes, improve or build-up your sense of: self worth, confidence, self-respect, self-esteem and personal VALUE. When you have high/healthy self respect, nothing can "drain" you or pull you down.

pandora97 likes this.
  15. Slate-writer

Slate-writer New Member

i had a dream like that a long time ago. this really scary old lady was at the window, then she changed to young. then she came rushing through the window right at me. it woke me up. someone told me she was a banshee, but i don't know. it was a scary dream more than anything. it was nothing to do with the house and i never saw her again.

16. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

Can spirits be crafty and just impose thoughts until you grow so familiar with them that they change your perspective?

17. Bill Z

Bill Z Active Member

I can only speak from personal experience. On 3 occasions in my life I encountered some dark forces. Each time I was going through a lot of stress and depression. Two of the occasions were witnessed by others so it was definitely not merely a bad dream.

18. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

Some mornings I wake up with good thoughts in my mind and I have a clear, good perspective, but as the day goes on those thoughts seem to get wiped out and my perspective is fuzzy and at a lower frequency.

19. mac

Just as in this world individuals can influence us and change how we see matters. They are more likely though, I'd guess, to subtly influence one's thoughts rather than imposing their own ideas to influence you.

One might wonder why they'd do that but when individuals pass over they don't all automatically become caring and saint-like. We might also ask why some folk do similar things in incarnate life.

kim marine likes this.
  20. bluebird

I wouldn't assume that spirits are responsible for your changing perspective or mood throughout the day. Such changes are just part of the normal human experience.

kim marine likes this.
  21. mac

As bb points out, spirit interference shouldn't be assumed the cause.....

22. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

Yeah, that is why we are here isn't it? To mature spiritually. Thank god that we won't have these bodies or this "material" world to contend with forever! I look forward to leaving this earth. I am not in a hurry, but I do look forward to it. Sort of like I used to look forward to getting out of school for summer! :cool:

23. mac

That's a neat way to explain it. :)

kim marine likes this.
  24. Truth seeker

Truth seeker Member

answering the original post.. YES , in fact I just had a dark spirit detached from me two days ago...he came from a person who I just meet that is a natural born medium without any training on his abilities that works in a hospital..she was full with many spirits atached to herself and she developed an sick attraction to me she wanted to marry me and was obsessed with me just with one Internet chat we had....she was thinking all day about me, and she had a very powerful but uneducated mind that made a link with mine... I was feeling very weak and crying for everything which is unusual on me....my medium teacher started to barf and got dizzy when I met her a few days later, and she told me what I was suspecting, that girl was obsessing me and draining me and she passed me one of her spirits...

she was the classical case of an energetic vampire....wich are persons with maladjusted energetic centers that drains energy from other persons......besides this girl told me she sucked the diseases from the illness of their patients and that she didnt know why...

after a few days she got angry and blocked me...she was obsessed with me she wanted to talk all day with me and to send her pictures of me and marry her....I told her the name of a médium who could helpe her, I really hope she took that advice....

25. Bill Z

Bill Z Active Member

Truth Seeker what you just posted really resonates with me, especially recently. I have a friend who is basically a good person but with, I suspect, a lot of dark energy around her. There is no romantic affiliation just a platonic and artistic (music) relationship. About 20 years ago we had what I describe as a Kundalini experience together. There was a fierce wind that felt like a hurricane in her apartment, yet nothing physically moved but we both felt it. I kept checking the back of my head for blood because it felt like this energy rose up my spine and tore the back of my skull open. I know this sounds pretty strange but this was my experience. I left there and was wired, totally awake for 3 days. No drugs or alcohol was involved. She said I removed a dark energy from her place and maybe it attached to me. On another occasion we were in a coffee place and there was a curved glass window in the store front. A couple came in and tied their dog to a parking meter. The couple were having an ugly argument and I felt the fear and sadness in their little dog. I actually felt the window start to shake and thought it was going to crash down on us. Again no drugs were involved. She and I seemed to be like a battery and strange things would happen when we were together.
    She used the Ouija board a lot, something I refuse to go near and maybe she opened up to some form of elemental darkness. I had occasions of dark energy after but through some of the things Roberta mentioned I am now able to get rid of this.
    These are much lower vibrational forms and we are much more powerful than them as long as we don't sink to their level and I think the Ouija board can act as a doorway for them. She remains a friend but i am reluctant to be in her presence and she seems to be followed by bad "luck" and great anger.
    Just curious if others have experienced anything like this.

26. Widdershins3

Widdershins3 Active Member

What Roberta said.

Unlike some spiritually-oriented people, I do think that there are dark entities around. Many years ago, I encountered a ghost who emanated pure evil that terrified even my fiercely loyal Border Collie into making a desperate run for home. We were on a known haunted road by mistake and dusk was closing in and when the man's figure walked past me, I found out what proximity to real Darkness is like. It's horrific. And I was wide awake at the time, so the sensations I felt are seared into my memory, unfortunately.

You might want to go to Amazon books and do a search for Mary Ann Winkowski's books--she's the down-to-earth psychic housewife on whom the TV series Ghost Whisperer was based and her particular talent is to see and communicate with souls remaining on Earth after their deaths. She's been able from very early childhood to send many of them to the light, too. She talks about the natures and circumstances of these people too and might be able to give you a better idea of what you may have seen. And she has protective strategies too, that anyone can put into practice.

27. Widdershins3

Widdershins3 Active Member

Just saw the posts above and remembered cord-cutting. If you do a search you should be able to find exact directions on how to disengage from people who are disordered and have formed attachments to you. That used to happen to me and I cobbled together my own method, which involves seeing the person very clearly in my mind's eye. At first, they're facing me, but I mentally turn them around and detach the land on which they're standing and send it floating away from me. When they're a distance off, I take a sharp axe and sever the cords that connect us.

I know that sounds simplistic, but I've had energy vampires disengage from me completely and immediately after I've used it on them. And they disengaged with no other communication between us. Some of them, I suspect, were psychopaths and had glommed onto me as soon as we met. I think I may have an aura that attracts the creatures, unfortunately, and I've had non-corporeal haunts in places I lived many years ago, too. Dr. Christiane Northrup has a book coming out on the subject that may prove to be helpful and I haven't searched in a long time, but I'll bet there's lots online now too.

Roberta, if you've written a book on this subject, I'm not familiar with it. Maybe a topic for a future project?

28. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Widdershins3, there was a time when I thought "spirit vampires" did not exist. However, I now think there might be something to it, and I will tell you why...
    Several years ago, it seemed as if "everything" was going lousy in my life. Whatever it was, it affected me, personally, my career, my home. After months of this heavy, grey cloud hovering, I decided to stay at another home (still ours but in a different state). Thought the change would do me good - but it didn't.

Some weeks passed, and I received a phone call from a friend of mine. We talked about everything and nothing - meaning, nothing in particular. She did say she went to visit her "grandpa", and my name came up, but she didn't tell me anything specific, just that her "grandpa" (he wasn't her real grandfather) asked her how I was doing.
    Her "grandpa" was a Native American. This was the man who could communicate with the unseen world, going into trance, a man who was born blind but could describe your physical appearance 100% accurately, a man who was able to drive a car on occasion and never had an accident. When he reached the age of 100 and something, his sons begged him to stop communicating with the spirit world as they believed it too taxing on their father, so he eventually quit.

Anyway, I did not tell my friend about the "funk" I was experiencing. We spoke for about an hour and that was it. The following evening, around 2330, I was reading a research article when I began to feel queasy. The sensation kept increasing and I thought I was going to vomit - big time! Instead, around midnight, everything went quiet, the queasy feeling stopped and there was peace all around me. It felt really strange, it felt eerie, in a way, something like I had never experienced before.
    Around 0200 the phone rang, and my friend asked how I was feeling. I told her about my experience, and that's when I learned about the "vampires" that suck the energy out of you. The old Native man had mentioned my name to her because he felt someone had attached to me, some red-headed entity. So that night he did something (I'm assuming some sort of cleansing ceremony), and he was able to detach the vampire from me. I was asked if I knew any red-headed person, and I said, "No". Only weeks later did I remember a person fitting the description. It was the same person who had tried to cause grief in my life, accusing me of all sorts of nonsense, pure dribble!
    I cut all ties with her (not that there were many ties, as I felt uneasy around her; like my senses were warning me!). That funky feeling never returned.
    It wasn't long after that I earnestly began my quest to meet with "grandpa" (he lived in Oklahoma) and soak in his wisdom to the best of my abilities.

Widdershins3 and bluebird like this.
  29. bluebird

Wow, raven. :eek:

Had you ever met the "grandpa" prior to this event? Did you ever manage to meet him later?

30. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Once, briefly, but after the event I described. The man lived in Oklahoma, in a very, very modest home with no heat and no electricity. He could have moved into a home with all the comforts but always refused to do so, according to his two sons.

He never took money for his gift, but was ok if you left some food on his table. He insisted that his gift came from Spirit and it was to help people; money would never be "right". He was a man that, in a way, reminded me of the "typical" wise old Native who sees past what most of us see, the type of Native you would see in certain movies or read about in books.

He really was blind (you know me, bb, always have to check things out for myself, lol), but he could see. According to his sons, in his younger years he regularly communicated with the spirit world. He'd go into a sort of trance, and when he did, it was always outside, surrounded my Nature - well, that is what I was told.
    Met him once, but never asked him to contact the spirit world. I knew how his sons felt about this, and he was over 100 years old when I met this man. I was instantly captivated by him.
    He told me I have Native blood... no idea how he could have known because I didn't tell him. I don't look particularly Native (some have said French, Italian, and very few have said Native); my friend didn't know either, so I'm not sure how he knew!
    He also told me about the death of someone I was very close to. He described him perfectly, though he'd never met him and I never gave him any information. When he mentioned the age of this person, "grandpa" said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "We say 29, that's how we count it as we are". I was left puzzled by this, the way he said it. He added the professionals were mistaken regarding the cause of death, and we later found out that "grandpa" was exactly correct. He truly was a fascinating wise soul. I occasionally wonder what he's up to, so to speak! (He passed a number of years ago).