1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Is civil discourse oriented towards spiritual growth and questions concerning it banned here now?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Kurt, May 18, 2018.

1. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

Seriously? Back channeled politics?

No-one was arguing or even discussing politics on the last thread, and yet it was shut down. There was no discourse whatsoever.

It was congenial and thought provoking and now dead. Can anyone explain this to me?

If mentioning the president in any way (no matter how minute) is enough to offend people than I have to agree with Mrs. Grimes herself

This country will surely NOT survive the decade.

bluebird likes this.
  2. Monika

Monika Active Member

Oh please.... i mean even if this thread is in the section "off topic" could we please leave this concerns at all out of this forum?
    Aren't there forums enough to discuss such topics?
    I know i should say not my circus, not my monkeys. But such threads appear so often last days that it starts to annoy.
    Thanks

pandora97 likes this.
  3. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

I share Kurt's opinion on this.

Kurt likes this.
  4. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

"Is civil discourse oriented towards spiritual growth and questions concerning it banned here now?"

No of course not! But it might be if political characters are introduced into such conversations. Conversations about "spiritual growth and questions concerning it...." should take place here http://afterlifeforums.com/forums/spiritual-growth-development.6/

It was I who closed the other thread because I judged it might be heading in a direction of more political debate - or arguing and falling out! Blame me but my intention was simply to uphold the rules of 'no politics' and 'no religion'.

Roberta pointed out that there are many places where those last two topics can be discussed. Any threads mentioning specific, contemporary, political figures with tenuous links to spirituality will likely look 'iffy' to me.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    pandora97 likes this.
  5. mac

But you re-introduced, without justification, the subject of earlier disagreements about politics viz. "I was wondering, considering how ever since the recent election, everyone has been fighting on the forum. The pro-Trump vs. Never Trumpers gig has definitely brought down the forum. I am sure you remember it 2 yrs. ago vs. 1 1/1 years ago."

Consequently I closed the thread to further comments on that political topic and will deal similarly with any further ones unless Roberta tells me otherwise.

6. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

There are other forums out there specifically for the topic of politics. I do agree that this is spiritually oriented, yet my last 2 threads have been shut down and I understand why the 1st went out, yet not the second, so I deem this to be a necessary thread

I would like to thank you for the support Bluebird. I assure you that it truly does mean a lot to me.

I can see that your intentions were not wrong. I merely disagree w/ why the last one was cancelled. Thank you for allowing me to post this thread.

I was using that as evidence to support the core of my thesis, claiming that politics MAY prove detrimental to spiritual growth. That is my justification & once again, I would like to thank you for allowing me to progress this thread. It has proven to be congenial thus far.

Monika likes this.
  7. Monika

Monika Active Member

Thank you for explaining yourself, Kurt. I appreciate :)

Kurt likes this.
  8. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

There doesn't seem to be any place to discuss what Roberta's upper level beings are telling her, and why.

Kurt likes this.
  9. mac

Not if it becomes a disagreement about contemporary politicians as in the past unless Roberta herself decides to re-open the discussion.

10. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

So as long as it remains congenial it is alright?

If my above question registers as a yes, then, you should go for round 2 and hope for the best. I would go as far as to state that we should help the admins keep it civil.
    But the choice is yours. Me flat out restarting a closed thread would be quite anarchic.

11. mac

Provided it's a general observation it's not a problem.

Kurt likes this.
  12. mac

I don't think so - it's still politics and ALF is a 'no politics' website because of past experiences. And the reality is that I've not seen many congenial assertions here concerning current political figures or harmonious discussions about their characters.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  13. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Dear Kurt, you actually agree with me? Wow - now I feel a bit less like a voice crying in the wilderness ;-).

Yes, we have sadly found that any mention of the sitting President of the United States is enough to put some people on tilt, so we do not and we will not mention his name here.

I don't agree that this country won't survive the decade, but I've got to agree that there is an interesting dynamic going on here now. By my count, we are now in the thirteenth presidential administration of my lifetime. I have witnessed a presidential assassination, two impeachments or attempted impeachments, wars, violence in the streets, hyperinflation, economic calamities, and what-else-have-you, together with a few presidents (Eisenhower, Reagan, and Clinton-before-Monika come first to mind, but there were others too) who seemed to do their jobs well and manage relative tranquility and prosperity. I really have seen presidents of all stripes! but now to watch a situation where good economic news and relative success on the world stage actually inflames further hatred is new for me. If I weren't so severely affected by negativity, I might wonder about it. But I am, so I don't.

Kurt likes this.
  14. bluebird

I thought your rule was that politics are not to be discussed in this forum....does that rule apply to everyone except you?

Kurt likes this.
  15. pandora97

pandora97 Active Member

Roberta's post doesn't appear, at least to me, to be open for discussion.

And yes......it's Roberta's site and she can post whatever she chooses.:)

16. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

:rolleyes:

Kurt likes this.
  17. bluebird

I'm not debating that. I'm asking roberta directly if it is her policy for this site that her "no politics" rule does not apply to her.
    And what is or is not up for discussion on this site may be determined by roberta, but it is not determined by you.

Kurt and ravensgate like this.
  18. pandora97

pandora97 Active Member

Of course it isn't up to me. I never said it was up to me or that I thought it was...........:eek:

19. bluebird

To me, your post implied that you were, since you were sort of answering on Roberta's behalf. If I was wrong about that, then I'm sorry.

20. pandora97

pandora97 Active Member

No it's me who should apologize.......jumped in where I shouldn't have. Sorry:oops:

ravensgate and bluebird like this.
  21. bluebird

:) I'm glad we were able to resolve that amicably! (Not being snarky, I genuinely mean it.)

22. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

I find veracity in the claims of Bluebird.

23. pandora97

pandora97 Active Member

Me too! :)

Kurt likes this.