1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Into the new year

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by mac, Dec 30, 2018.

1. mac

mac Staff Member

As we head for 2019 I’ve been reflecting.

It was about 2003 when the cyber world started to feel a little more familiar. I was accessing the web via a dial-up connection on a Dan Multimedia MMX desktop computer still running Windows 95, Microsoft’s buggy and crash-prone operating system. I battled with it daily as I tried to understand my computer’s tantrums, crashing and hours of recovery a frequent occurrence!

By late 2003 I had begun to succeed a little and forum websites had become familiar territory, exciting places where like-minded individuals discussed and debated subjects close to my heart. Sadly few of the websites have survived and many of their members have moved on, moved out or died. Nowadays ALF is the website where I spend most time and I greatly appreciate the privilege I enjoy in being able to express myself here.

Website statistics indicate I’ve been a member just over 7 years. I can’t remember how I reached the site originally but I think it was a member of another website who sent me the address. I wish I knew who so I could thank her but I’ve a feeling it was someone I helped after the death of her husband. She recently passed over and will once more be with him. A few others have also died and the rest just stopped visiting those old websites. Maybe there was nothing left for us to talk about?

So now I’m a regular on ALF along with just a few other regulars from the early days. I’m glad they’re still here and I’m glad that there is still an AfterLifeForums website for us to meet up in cyber space – we likely won’t ever meet up in ‘real life’ or even see a photo.

A while ago I made the point that a website can easily cease to exist. It's dependent on someone paying to keep it ‘alive’ on electronic storage devices. A website has no permanence like books or periodicals – our words are virtual. If the charge for hosting is not paid those words may be gone forever. It happened a week ago to a site where I was also a regular just as it happened to others further back.

Let’s make the most of our little website as we enter 2019 and hope that ALF goes from strength to strength – cheers![​IMG]

Kurt, Kahlon, bluebird and 2 others like this.
  2. poeticblue

poeticblue member

Well for me I have to keep coming back to the forums much like an AA meeting. If I don’t, I lose my sanity and I become displaced which is not the road that I want to go down on again.

I guess I will admit that there are some things that I feel more comfortable posting here on the forum rather than making a phone call to a family member. My family nor anyone I truly know is dedicated to afterlife studies as much as I am. I envy them in a way because some days I just want to live a regular, normal life. Sometimes I wish the dreams, astral projections, and sleep paralysis would go away but they won’t. I’ve learned to somewhat live with the fact that something tugs at my soul to keep pushing and moving forward even when I want to call it quits.

I guess I’m just in a weird mood today. What will be shall be. Very greatful for the forum.

NovemberFlowers likes this.
  3. Ruby

Ruby Established Member

Thanks, mac. I know nothing of these matters. So presumably Roberta pays to host the Forum. Well, thanks very much Roberta. Happy New Year 2019 to Roberta and mac!

4. poeticblue

poeticblue member

Happy New Years to everyone.

5. mac

mac Staff Member

thanks for the wishes :)

I echo PB's sentiments - May 2019 be a happy and healthy year for all our members and visitors.

Yes, Ruby, Roberta picks up the tab for all the costs associated with this website and we regular members are privileged to enjoy that benefit. :)

6. Ruby

Ruby Established Member

I haven't a clue about these things, so good to know. And thanks again, Roberta. It's a great service you're providing.

7. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Dear friends, this website could not exist without Mac, so let's give him his due ;-). I notice, too, that more and more PoeticBlue is stepping in with the right answers and being a wonderful Moderator. Thank you, dear precious friends!

8. NovemberFlowers

NovemberFlowers New Member

Nice post mac.

Thank you to everyone! Glad to have found this site.

Happy New Year :):)

9. poeticblue

poeticblue member

Hmmm.. the forums quiet. Everyone ok?

10. Convolution

Convolution Established Member

Happy New Year everyone!

NovemberFlowers likes this.