1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Insights from a Swami

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by Andrew, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Hello Everyone,

The other day, I saw a presentation given by a swami. For those who are unfamiliar with Hinduism, a swami is, put simply, a type of Hindu monk. Although the presentation was less than an hour long, I was extremely impressed and inspired by the spiritual insights that this swami had to offer. He made me realise, for perhaps the first time, just how close the teachings of Hinduism are to the teachings of Jesus and to the afterlife evidence that we talk about here.

For example, when talking about God, the swami used what I consider to be a perfect analogy: a television. He said that, when one turns on a television and watches different shows, one sees thousands of different images on the screen - but all those images are really just different facets/aspects of the screen. In essence, each of those images is nothing but the screen, on which it appears. Continuing that thought, if one reaches out to touch a character in a television show, one will always wind up touching the screen. That screen is God/Source/Reality. No matter what religion we practice, we are all just revering different manifestations and aspects of that same Source.

Hinduism is usually considered a polytheistic religion, but I actually believe that it is monotheistic in nature. Hindus recognise millions of gods (about 330 million, to be exact), but they are all considered to be different aspects of the same Ultimate Reality. In the same manner, the human soul - called the atman - is also just part of the Transcendent. It is taught that it is perfectly connected and unified with the Source, a state of being known as moksha - and that the feeling of separation is both brief and illusory. This Ultimate Reality is called Brahman and it is, in essence, the same Source that we talk about here.

The swami also spoke about the various paths of reaching enlightenment, called the yogas. He said that, if one wanted to learn to ride a bike, one could read every single book on the subject, and watch every single movie about riding, and consider himself fully prepared for the experience. But, he said, when he eventually got on the bike, he would still have to learn how to manoeuvre it properly and might fall a few times in the process. So too is our spiritual growth on earth. We can read all the resources we have available to us, and that is great. It will start us on our journey, but we also have to experience life, suffering to some extent, and service - because this will cement in our spirits what we have learned.

In Hinduism, reincarnation is cyclic (as is time itself) and a soul works its way, tediously, up to the state of unification with Brahman. The cycle of birth, death and rebirth is known as samsara. Hindu scriptures, to my knowledge, are fairly silent concerning a life between lives (i.e. an afterlife), but they do believe that the soul's ultimate purpose is to move past its individual existence - something we know to be the case! It is not surprising to me that Hinduism is so close to the truth, because it is most likely the oldest, known religion on earth. It may represent a time in ancient history when, for whatever reason, humankind was more naturally spiritual and aware of the Greater Reality. I have read certain afterlife accounts which hint that, when beings first started incarnating on earth, they were much more aware of that it was a mere schoolhouse. Perhaps this is where Hinduism has its roots. The faith is so ancient that there is no known founder - and that some of its Vedic chants actually predate human language altogether!

Everyone is Divine - we are all powerful and eternal beings - and, more and more, I am coming to see that Divinity manifested in each person I meet. That being said, however, this perfection was extremely visible in the swami. He seemed to be spiritually at peace in a way that I have not personally witnessed amongst anyone else. In fact, during his presentation, there was a brief moment where I could actually see the swami's aura. Sometimes, I try to see auras, and they usually appear, but not in colour. I have a very difficult time seeing auras in colour, which is common. But this man's aura shone in a beautiful blue hue and it was amazing to witness.

So, those are some thoughts of mine on Hinduism, I hope that someone out there has found this useful! I don't wish to appear to favour Hinduism above any other earthly religion, because they all have good points and bad points, in my opinion. No religion is perfect, but they are all pathways to enlightenment, so long as they are practised peacefully and with an open mind. That said, however, there is something that I find incredibly attractive in both Hinduism and Buddhism - and this has always been the case for me, even before I began my afterlife research.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
  2. frith

frith New Member

Did he mention anything about the caste system in Hinduism that is tied to their beliefs in reincarnation and is designed to keep people subjugated in this life? That's my very big problem with Hindu beliefs.

3. Andrew

Andrew Guest

No actually, but I am aware of the system.

Not that I am advocating for the existence of social classes, but there is actually a very logical system of reasoning that led to the system's creation. Each person on earth is at a different level of spiritual development, and therefore has different tasks to perform to encourage that development. Therefore, why not group like with like? The Brahmins (i.e. the priests) are put together to work on renouncing the physical plane altogether, whilst those who are less advanced, are given other tasks that are felt to be useful for their spiritual welfare. Of course, the major flaw in this system is that it assumes that people will incarnate (or reincarnate) into the correct caste system. In my experience, however, Hindus in the West are not are focused on the caste system.