1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

In Search of the Wandering Spirit

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Waller, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waller

Waller Banned

Recently re-published is this lecture http://thegroundoffaith.net/issues/2009-12/Alvarado.pdf

My summary of this paper is that the Out-of-Body Experience (OBE) is not well correlated with hallucinations or mind-based phenomena.

The author selects the word ‘spirit’ because the collection of writings by a dozen or so authors commonly use this term. The arguments circulate around whether or not we are utilizing our ethereal bodies, our spirit form (Higher Mind), a form of our ego, or something yet inexplicable in the OBE. Two excerpts:

“spiritual body … may, during life, occasionally detach itself, to some extent or other and for a time, from the material flesh and blood...”

“Bozzano presented a variety of phenomena he grouped under the term “bilocation” that he believed showed the existence of an “etheric” body inside the physical body.”
    Note that these authors were writing well before the onslaught of the Near-Death Experience (NDE) which has forever tied the OBE to the spiritual (discarnate) realms.

The OBE is not an hallucination, ask an experiencer who has had just one. The self-initiated OBE can occur for the majority who has received the proper techniques to induce one. It isn’t that difficult.

Where does this leave us?

The concept of the etheric body is continually supported by healing, hands-on, hands-off and remote varieties. The etheric body, being an energy body, can be balanced and adjusted for the relief or cure of physical symptoms (illness, injury, etc.)

The “spirit” of a person, the real You, forever living in the higher vibratory realms, must have a means of connecting, communicating with the physical body for learning to occur. It is postulated this connection is the pathway for your spirit to lead the way into the OBE, yet another learning experience.

Who knows? What is important is that the OBE is a non-local event, janef refers to hers as a “Spiritually Transformative Experience” (STE) and I can vouch for that as can dozens of others OBErs I know well.

One last thought. The OBE as a spontaneous projection is often confused with a dream state. When you apply firm definitions to the OBE, you will find that they have occurred in your sleep, mislabeled as a “dream”. Once you wrap your head around the differences, don’t be surprised if this new understanding is spiritually transformative.

2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

This is great, Waller - thank you once again for sharing some important thoughts. OBEs are indeed real experiences, although at the same time it seems to be possible to astral-travel entirely in one's mind. I don't understand it, but I can say now that I have done it. Bruce Moen, who was one of Bob Monroe's original explorers, was apparently uncomfortable venturing very far from his physical body, but he wanted to do rescue work (for which there is a terrible need). So he learned to astral-travel INTERNALLY. I took his workshop at the ASCS conference in July, and - amazingly - despite the fact that I didn't believe it was even possible, without actually going out of body I rescued a woman who had been earthbound in England since 1780 and watched as she was reunited with her children. And it all happened INSIDE MY MIND. I then had an encounter with the father of someone else in the workshop and described him and what he had to say so accurately that she asked me to write it all up so she could share it with her mother, who has been grieving for forty years. All of this was IN MY MIND. Or, rather, I think it happened in the collective unconscious. I can't explain it. I'm not psychic, and I don't have the patience to meditate. I seldom can learn much in this field any longer, but - WOW! - I learned something big from Bruce Moen!!

3. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Roberta,

What makes you think that wasn't imagination or wishful thinking on your part? That's possible even if your conscious mind was skeptical.

I'm not saying it was wishful thinking, i really don't and can't know. I'm just asking why you don't seem to think it was, or even to consider that possibility.

4. Waller

Waller Banned

wow. I am composing a blog post about this subject when I read your response, Roberta. The short of it goes like this. The work-in-progress blog post was generated by a very nice PM sent to me by janef.

We exist on every level, the physical, the astral, the ethereal, the multidimensional. The term OBE is a misnomer, it may feel as if we are out of our bodies but we are actually exploring within ourselves, exploring our own infinite consciousness.

This concept of inner exploration directly reflects on our afterlife. Raymond Moody: "at the moment of death, we are reunited with our loved ones". Personally, my family aren't my most favorite people.

You can take control of your OBE, death is the ultimate OBE, at my moment of death I want to go to the highest vibrational level I can achieve. This is what I have learned through the OBE that the choice is mine.

Belief is unnecessary but it is a happy companion. :) Bruce showed a way. You applied it and learned.

The Tibetans, and other like-minded Buddhists, chant at the death bed to "go to the clear light" or the formless, the non-physical, that which exists beyond the what we call the Summerland. Why not?

My family either died before I knew them or they were, er, less than perfect human beings. I appreciate this now. How else would I have learned to demand the non-physical, my Higher Self, when I die if they had been grand chaps and gals!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  5. Waller

Waller Banned

Let's say you have a picture (Roberta painted you a picture of an OBE) of a roller coaster. You rightfully say, "Hm. Looks like fun, does it really exist?"

Three people walk by, one is your distrusted enemy, the next is someone you don't know, the 3rd a trusted friend. They are talking about their experience on the roller coaster.

No matter what the enemy says, you won't believe her. Nor the person you dont know. Your trusted friend will tell you how wonderful it was and it piques your curiosity, like Roberta has piqued yours.

Bottom line? Until you ride the roller coaster, you will never know, one way or the other.

What I can tell you is that most of my OBEs are hyperreal. When I "return" it's not an issue of if the OBE was real but if this reality is real.

Go take a ride. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.