1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

I'm sayin'

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by mac, Jul 11, 2019.

1. mac

mac Staff Member

This is one for the old farts like me, a few of which we have on ALF..... ;)

There's a lot going on right now concerning climate change and air pollution along with how we deal with trash. The last issue has particular relevance for my tiny, island homeland because we ain't got much room for the conventional disposal of trash, unlike the situation in nations who still have vast tracts of land they can despoil. The first two issues, though, are global threats although also with massive local impact. All of 'em are daily in our BBC news reporting so we get to hear about them several times each day. But they're not what I'm writing about!

The impact of those and other problems will become of greater significance to the current and next generations. In the UK - and likely many other countries - there's a major push to abandon relieance on carbon based, non-renewable energy sources. The auto industry will be spending trillions of dollars developing alternative ways to power road vehicles. The UK is committing to banning diesel fuel by 2040 because it's ruining youngsters' developing lungs and generally screwing with the breathing of older ones.

We hear this 2040 date so very often, a time when so much needs to have changed, and each time we think or turn to one another and say:"We won't be here then." :( Whether the changes that need to happen actually will happen we won't be here. We used to be able to contemplate being around in 20 years time but now it's increasingly less likely.

I'm sayin'.....;):D

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Kurt likes this.
  2. Kurt

Kurt Major Contributor

True. Climate change is one of the most important issues facing he world right now. It is existential to he existence of the human race.

3. mac

mac Staff Member

Climate change and over-population of the globe are the two I see as most threatening to humankind's future. I'll be outa here long before it's critical - I hope! :D

Kurt likes this.
  4. Luna

Luna New Member

As much as I do try to limit my carbon footprint where possible... It's a sad truth that until they start really cracking down on these large corporations I feel like we will make little progress.. especially where I live.

I've worked in different retail chains and I can tell you how sadly wasteful they are. They don't even separate garbage from recycling at all. There are only garbage bins. Everything goes in there. Amongst many other wasteful acts, this is one that is clearly seen. Just imagine how much "garbage" that is on a weekly basis.

ravensgate and Kurt like this.
  5. Kurt

Kurt Major Contributor

I work in factories on and off during breaks and whew.... Let me tell you.... No wonder those Commies were in a Rampage. These owners are by far the most wasteful selfish people you can imagine.

6. Kurt

Kurt Major Contributor

They will literally package and unpackage and then repackage a entire batch of product just to keep the workers occupied

7. Kurt

Kurt Major Contributor

If one plate of lemon pie comes out bad, they toss out everything that was on the line that day and it goes straight to the garbage dump.

They also have a deal with farmers to where they can sell the trash (i.e. "ruined" product) so they are quite happy to take everything and send it to pigs.

In reality we (the workers) usually sneak to the back and leave with supermarket bags full of raw bread. It's hilarious.

8. Kurt

Kurt Major Contributor

And theres so much of it they don't even notice. Even with what they do sell to the pig farmers there is still a large portion of it that goes to the dump.

9. Kurt

Kurt Major Contributor

Signing up they tell you you will work part time and 3 days a week. In reality it's 12 hours a day, but you are expected to stay 15 hours a dayfo overtime and are on call 24/7. In practice it's about 18 hours a day 5 days a week.

10. Kurt

Kurt Major Contributor

The person in charge of the bankroll got fired quietly for taking money out of the workers paychecks and once a month the manager will hold a conference where they lay down even more rules everyone hates and then hands everyone a square inch of "good product" that is frozen solid. (The "bad" product tastes better since it is fresh hot and is more real versus the finished since it is frozen loaded up with frosting and preservatives​