1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

If there is an afterlife, how would you prefer it to be?

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by bluebird, Mar 26, 2018.

1. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

That would be the hope. I'll see how it works out!

2. Widdershins3

Widdershins3 Active Member

I've been working on a deadline lately and only been able to pop in here for a moment or two, now and then , but I've been thinking a lot about your question, bluebird. I definitely want to be back in the Summerland, myself. As a small, unhappy child, I would walk to the parts of my hometown where the mansions were and stay there for as long as I could, even though the penalty for wandering so far alone would be a grounding for a week or more if my mother caught me doing it. The beauty, lack of chaos and utter peace there was so different from the humble street where we lived that it felt like another world. And I swear I *remembered* that other place as a kid and longed for it like a homesickness. I still do.

Now I go up into the Piedmont Hills to walk among Revival mansions and gorgeous flowers and wonderful old trees. It looks so much like the scene I saw out the window when I was taken to visit with my son a couple of weeks after his death. Privately, I literally think of my walks there as "going to Heaven for an hour."

So for me it's not just the joyful reunions with all the people I've loved and lost, it's also just the thought of immersing myself in that beauty and peace and not having to come back to earthly "reality" that I look forward to. I agree with what was said above about each of us experiencing our own Heaven when we first cross over. Many, many spirits have communicated that to mediums. And one of my favorite moments in the TV show Supernatural was when the angel Castiel shared that the place he retreated to when life here on earth got to be too much for him was the small, serene private Heaven of a mentally disabled man. I found that touching and charming, even though in reality I think that disabilities are not carried over into the afterlife.

3. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

That's lovely, Widdershins. :) Thank you for sharing it. It's good that your walks make you feel more at peace.

I love Supernatural, though I haven't watched the last couple of seasons of it yet. Castiel is a wonderful character, and I didn't know that about him retreating to that particular person's heaven when existence got to be too much for him (though, like you, I would think -- and hope-- that the man would no longer be mentally disabled, in the afterlife).

4. Widdershins3

Widdershins3 Active Member

I have a friend who's a fellow fan of that series who swears I must have just read that Castiel scene in fan fiction, but I think I saw it in an episode: there was the man (I think) flying a kite in the breeze by the ocean and Castiel a little ways off in the sand dunes. Which reminds me, that friend and I have talked about what we'd like in an afterlife and they would prefer life in a cottage by the sea in a place that "feels like England." And one of my best friends loves the desert and wants to roam one on the Other Side, something that's beyond my understanding. I crave lushness of foliage and big trees with thick canopies.

But from what I've read in mediums' books, we can visit each other with just a wish, no matter where in the afterlife we land. There might be an exception for someone temporarily caught in what some astral travelers have called "The Belief Territories" though, where fundamentalist religious folks go. To see something other than the Christian Heaven with clouds, harps, throne of God, etc. might be very destabilizing for a true believer.