1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Icons?

Discussion in 'member introductions' started by genewardsmith, Dec 19, 2017.

1. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

How do I make a member icon for myself?

2. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

It's not my field but somewhere in your Profile area is a place to upload an avatar - is that what you were thinking of?

3. Ed A.

Ed A. Member

I was wondering why only half the members have avatars.

Gene, here are the steps:

1. Save an image for yourself that you like on your computer.
    2. Click your name on the menu bar above, then click avatar.
    3. A box will pop up. Under "upload new custom avatar," click Choose File.
    4. That should open another pop-up window, showing your picture file on your PC. Select the image you want, then click "open" at the bottom of that pop-up window.
    5. In an ideal world, that would be enough to select the file, but unfortunately, there is a bug in the forum software (at least for me; I experience it on other forums with this software, too), where it drops the file you've selected, and it still shows as "no file chosen."
    6. So you have to repeat steps #4 and #5. It does work the second time.
    7. You should see your file now listed next to "upload file" (rather than "no file selected").
    8. Click "Okay" at the bottom of the window.
    9. Now we come to bug #2 (at least for me) -- the screen will just sit there like nothing has happened, like you didn't press the "ok" button. Press it again a couple times for good measure. Nothing will happen.

But actually, the process will be complete. Just reload the page/forum, and you should see your avatar.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    Hardball likes this.
  4. mac

"I was wondering why only half the members have avatars."

I wonder why it's as many as that - for what reason? What do they achieve? A personal photo might be nice but it's risky because then you could be indentified.

5. Ed A.

Ed A. Member

I like avatars. They are a way to inject a little color and personality, sometimes opinions or humor. Most of the members of forums I've participated in have had avatars. Over time, I begin to associate the images with posters, so I can tell at a glance who is talking, without referencing names (I don't think that is a big factor on a small forum like this, but it is helpful on larger forums).

For here, I think the main advantages would be to express a little personality and add images and color to the page (vs. just a page of text).

6. mac

I don't buy it. OK maybe color but how does a small image reflect personality? Personality is an amalgam of many characteristics and our association with individuals - even remotely - links to their characters in a way no commercially produced image can. Agreed that after you learn someone's character the avatar links to it but by then the personality is known anyway. I don't buy that an avatar injects opinions either but maybe humor if the image is daft enough.

For comparison on most of the websites I've used over the years, and for as long as the software's been available, I've used AdBlock Plus to get rid of the junk that folk stick on their postings. I'm a serious forum adherent; I don't use 'em for social contact and I recognise in a trice what character goes with a particular username. For me there's absolutely no need for any kind of avatar or signature on every single posting a member makes.

This topic demonstrates well what I learned as an educator. When learning we fall into certain category groups (sometimes more than one) and one group may learn and respond in ways very different from those in another group. Graphical information appeals to a certain category, presumably those individuals who like avatars. It might help explain why certain members struggle to express their ideas clearly. Text communication isn't their strength whereas for others it demonstrably is.

7. Ed A.

Ed A. Member

You "don't buy it." lol.

Avatars are extremely common on forums, and they are extremely common for good reason. One of them is that people express aspects of themselves through them. It's similar to how people express themselves by the images they choose to hang on their walls at home, or in the office.

You're not thinking very clearly, if you can't grasp how avatars can express opinions. How about if I made an avatar of a cross, for instance? Or a Star of David?

Good for you?

mac likes this.
  8. mac

Quantity isn't any indicator of quality, only of appeal. I didn't say the reasons weren't good - for those who use 'em the reasons presumably ARE good. But good isn't an absolute value - they're NOT good for me.

For the participant it works; for an onlooker it may not.

That's a cheap shot.

It might suggest you align yourself in some way with the avatar. Would the posted avatars effectively express your many opinions? Or would it simply say I'm influenced TO SOME DEGREE by Christian values or I'm influenced TO SOME DEGREE by Jewish ones? They wouldn't mean even those suggestions to me, however.

Another cheap shot even though I had explained how I see things.

9. mac

I had to look for a meaning online and found: "Beginning as a plural variant of lol, Lulz was originally an exclamation but is now often used as a noun meaning interesting or funny internet content.
    Lol -> lul; lols -> luls; lolz -> lulz.

Lulz is the one good reason to do anything, from trolling to rape. After every action taken, you must make the epilogic dubious disclaimer: "I did it for the lulz".

interesting.......

10. mac

TiS a rare talent you exhibit for researching members here - interesting.....

And, of course, you're right - I DID have an avatar here recently and all those who remember that time may also know that my contributions here were plagiarised and certain postings mischievously posted after the troll registered my customary username on a website I hadn't previously visited. And my photo was copied and pasted into that false identity.

Perhaps you do know where mac is coming from and maybe mac knows something similar about you.....

11. Ed A.

Ed A. Member

But that was your question -- why do they appeal? So now you're dismissing my response because it addresses your question. Are you having a bad day or something? I feel like I'm talking with a crank who just wants to argue.

"I don't buy it" was literally your first sentence. Followed by arguments over the particulars -- phrased not in terms of your particular preferences, but as general points.

It would've been better to say that, then. Which you did not. You made no acknowledgement that the reasons might be valid for others. In fact, you specifically said a couple of them weren't valid at all (personality, opinion), giving a little condescending mini-lecture to boot.

As far as I'm concerned, this has nothing to do with you. It's not about you. The question I was answering was, "why do people use avatars?" It wasn't about whether mac likes avatars. I don't care whether you like them or not.

And whether you "buy" a reason isn't relevant. It's like someone asking, "Why do people like shopping online?" and me responding with reasons that people like to shop online, and you responding, "I don't buy it." It doesn't matter if you buy it or not. Those are the reasons, whether you "buy" them or not.

Tough.

Obviously I wasn't saying that an avatar conveys the whole range of our opinions on an issue. Come on. Again, it just seems like you want to argue. You ask a question but don't seem interested in trying to understand the answer, just coming up with some objection. Are you this annoying to talk to in real life, too?

Btw, I found you an avatar:

[​IMG]

mac and Hardball like this.
  12. mac

pot / kettle?

Does that irk you?

Does that irk you?

And yet you continue as if it did.... tough

Does this also irk you? My word I wonder just who's having a bad day! Didn't poop this morning?

:p:D

pot / kettle?

I'm flattered you spent so much energy on someone you appear to dislike so much! :rolleyes:

13. mac

I just lurve it dahling! mwwahhhh :p[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. mac

there - job done! :p:Do_O

15. mac

"Obviously I wasn't saying that an avatar conveys the whole range of our opinions on an issue."

oh, obviously lol

"Are you this annoying to talk to in real life, too?" nah! In real life I drink beer, smoke, scratch my ass, play pool and BS with everyone else. But in that real life I don't discuss the value - or otherwise - of avatars or spiritual and afterlife issues. I do that in a serious manner with like-minded individuals on discusion forums.

16. Ed A.

Ed A. Member

lol. I like it.

Poor Gene is wondering, "What the f**k happened to my thread?"

17. mac

There was nothing more I could say. You can always 'bump' your earlier posting to begin again if you want to resume a conversation.

18. Ed A.

Ed A. Member

With Gene? Nah, I was just kidding. He doesn't seem tuned in -- at least, he hasn't replied to his own thread, which I take to mean he's not engaged. I gave the instructions, which is all I can do.

I had some good belly laughs because of this thread today.

19. mac

We aim to please....