1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Ian Stevenson

Discussion in 'Afterlife Evidence' started by zilch, Jan 22, 2019.

1. mac

mac Staff Member

I expect many of us will have experience of Alzheimer's and other dementia and that number looks set to continue rising as more and more individuals survive longer. Medical care is keeping us alive longer but it can't prevent deterioration of all our systems.

It's desperately sad to see a loved one gradually disappear as they're no longer able to remember properly and/or relate to those they loved. My sister has begun that process, my father suffered it in his last years. I fear I may go a similar way if I don't have sufficient of my mother's genes to counterbalance my dad's.

When dementia sets in folk become isolated and often confused, one of the many sad ways to spend our last days in this world. I hope medical research finds a way to stop that happening.

2. zilch

zilch New Member

For the first time here, I can optimistically disagree! I believe that even without memories and emotions there might be more of you than you think. (But I do think that love, curiosity, etc. are more than an emotion).

3. bluebird

bluebird Regular Contributor

Would you mind elaborating? Sounds interesting.

4. Hazada Guess

Hazada Guess Member

Mac,after looking after mum during the entire process,I totally agree with you.

5. zilch

zilch New Member

I've read and seen enough to believe that even without memories (and even without language) you can still be a being that can love and care. And even if you become somebody you'd despise earlier due to bad choices/illness/etc. then if there was a moment in your life when you were a good person, then it is not fully lost. A while ago you didn't even know human language; now you have the full range of experiences; someday you might lose some of these (as mac wrote, it is painful to look at dementia patients, but it is real); then you will lose all. I would like to believe that something that is not transient carries on and if so then it is more than experiences that can corrupt you and change you into someone that you really aren't.

I'm not sure if I wrote what I wanted to say, but I tried :)