1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Ian Stevenson

Discussion in 'Afterlife Evidence' started by zilch, Jan 22, 2019.

1. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Good grief, Zilch! Why don't you do more research? You will survive your death so completely intact that some people who die in their sleep and wake up in the same house in the afterlife reality actually have to be taken to the door and shown that the neighborhood is entirely gone! Same body (just made of a different, non-material stuff). Same everything. Some people who have died will express frustration that they haven't changed more! Your mind is extraordinarily stronger, though. Your memories cover millennia. If you want yet more evidence that the brain does not produce the mind, start doing more research into what we have learned from the dead, the only people who really know!

2. zilch

zilch New Member

I don't know if brain fully produces mind, but having cared for a neurosurgery patient I can say that the brain at least mediates mind. I also know a person - once loving and caring - who turned into a selfish and malicious one due to frontotemporal dementia. Also, most kids exhibit some cruelty even if they later turn into saints. I'm not sure if I can easily define 'Zilchness' that would survive death intact, but not all of what I am built today is essential to me.

3. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

The brain does indeed affect how an individual mind expresses. Yes. Just as if you have a damaged radio you are going to get static. But the fact that children grow and change has zero to do with the meat inside their skulls! The brain does not generate consciousness. The reason why the origin of consciousness is "the hard problem" for scientists is that they are earnestly looking through the wrong end of the telescope. For them it is in fact "the impossible problem." Dear Zilch, you don't even have to look to the dead to tell you that the brain doesn't generate consciousness. Look at the fact that many people in terminal comas but not too heavily sedated will wake up and talk with people shortly before they transition, and even people with terminal Alzheimer's will sometimes be suddenly disease-free and talking just before they go.

You may not think that all of what you are now is essential to you, but the evidence strongly suggests that all of you will be going with you when you leave! So it makes sense for all of us to try to get rid now of the parts that we would just as soon not take along....

4. Ruby

Ruby Active Member

zilch likes this.
  5. bluebird

bluebird Regular Contributor

You may be right, but I hope you are not -- if you are, then I would prefer to stop existing altogether after death, rather than continue to exist in (what I view as) such a diminished capacity/state. Without my memories and emotions, I would not be me, and so I would rather cease to be.