1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Ian Stevenson

Discussion in 'Afterlife Evidence' started by zilch, Jan 22, 2019.

1. bluebird

bluebird Regular Contributor

Thank you for elaborating. I agree that one can still love and care even without memories and/or language, but without memories I think one loses a big part of who one is. If a person loses her/his memories in life, such as occurs with dementia patients, then in a very real way that person is no longer who s/he was (in my opinion). If there is an afterlife, perhaps that person recovers her/his memories once s/he dies, and is then much more the soul/being/person that s/he was before. To me, that would be the "something that is not transient [carrying] on".

2. Convolution

Convolution Active Member

I have pondered this notion that if we survive, perhaps it isn't all that survives.
    This certainly seems implied when you hear of NDE experiences which describe a state of mind that seems quite different from what we would expect of our conscious experience- often failing to notice things which we, alive, would claim to be quite obvious.
    Then what is it that would survive? The conscious observer in each of us?
    Different books I've read seem to have implied different aspects of survival. I'm not sure I understand which are more likely.

3. Convolution

Convolution Active Member

I think where the analogy breaks down some, and the part that I have difficulty with (I believe it to be the same part Zilch may be referencing, though he may correct me if I'm wrong) is that indeed when a radio is broken it may pick up static, but it won't pick up different songs and programming from the same station (the station or frequency here serving as reference for the soul).
    Indeed with Phineas Gage, Ann from Jenn's post, my grandmother as well as many others, the personality changes along with changes in the brain. The "songs are different", if you will.
    I can only infer that the personality is in some way constructed by the brain, with consciousness serving as the witness.
    Consciousness may be an entirely different thing altogether- it may simply turn out to be pure power of presence and observation, with personality being a layer added on top.

zilch likes this.
  4. mac

mac Staff Member

zilch's response to the above was mainly via an NDE account from Joseph Graci and that can now be found in the NDE forum.

5. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Dear Convolution and everyone, near-death experiences have nothing whatsoever to do with death or the afterlife. The only things we can learn from them is that consciousness easily functions apart from the body, and that the enormous astral - which is where these people are - is deeply love-based. That is precisely all that you can learn from NDEs that is even remotely related to the topics that we discuss on this website.