1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

I`m finally convinced!

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by breeld, Jun 20, 2013.

1. One of my brothers was severely handicapped with Down Syndrome, could not talk, barely could walk, though a delightful, lovable person. After he passed, during a group meditation session, I got this intuitive insight as to what a brave and adventurous soul he was to take on such a challenging role/life plan for my family's benefit. They are the real heroes of our soul group in the spiritual realm.

With Lovingkindness (metta),
    vic

2. breeld

breeld New Member

Ravensgate, I was addressing you both. I love to hear about those dreams.
    As you all know by now, my oldest son, John, took his life on March 25, 2013. I`m learning to cope with it, but it`s hard.
    I have 2 other sons, 37 and 38 years old. They both have inherited Huntington`s Disease from their late father. If you would, please look it up as it`s too much to write about here.
    What I`m wondering, as I watch this disease progress on in my sons, is what could possibly be the lesson here, if all these things are supposed to be for growing? I know people that seem to lead charmed lives. No problems, their families are all healthy, no money problems. Does it mean they`ve already learned their lessons, and are just here on earth to enjoy life?
    Actually, some of these people aren`t very nice-very narcissistic, in fact. Makes you wonder.....

3. ravensgate

ravensgate Regular Contributor

Breeld, I have worked in ICU/Trauma/ER most of my life; did a brief stint (eons ago) teaching philosophy. I am familiar with Huntington's disease, unfortunately. In regards to the people who appear to "have it all", I personally think their lesson may be to learn about generosity, compassion, selflessness,altruism, and not to simply enjoy life here on Earth. If they were done learning their lessons, they would have no need - and possibly no desire - to come back and, as you mentioned, some of these people aren't very nice - very narcissistic, in fact. I don't see narcissism as a positive characteristic or life lesson unless, when the life review time rolls around, they get to see the sort of impact it had on other people. I could be all wrong, of course, but that is how I see it. :)

4. It's true -- there are people who seem to coast through life with rather few problems. Some of them are lovely people, but often they are not, partly because what we see as good luck they see as something they deserve. And a lot of those people whose lives seem charmed are not so lucky as you might think.

I've had some problems in life, but I've always been fortunate to be reasonably healthy. I'm no athlete or anything, but I'm still alive at 55 and have no immobilizing or life threatening illnesses. And I often wonder, why not me? If you think of these things as random, then how is it that I happen to have been born as a middle-class white American, with good health and at least average intelligence ... this makes me luckier than well over 90% of the world's population. I manage to feel sorry for myself plenty often. But if this life is a school then it seems like I signed up for basket-weaving instead of calculus.

5. breeld

breeld New Member

As a matter of fact, I turned 61 today. I`ve always been pretty `ole healthy, lots of energy (age is taking care of that, tho), and have done an ok job of taking care of myself. I have a lot of compassion for others, and always want to help. But with my boys, I feel helpless. It almost makes me feel guilty for being healthy, myself. I went through the same guilt cycle when my sister was dying. Guess I`m doing the "feel sorry for myself" thingy today. My boys are the ones suffering physically and mentally, but I also suffer alongside of them.
    Anyway, enough whining. I guess the word I would use to describe some of these people I was talking about is Entitlement.
    One in particular, honestly does feel entitled to whatever she wants...and gets. Then she likes to rub people`s faces in it. I think that is just downright ugly. Maybe they are here to learn humility, but on some, it`s not working. lol

6. Eli

Eli New Member

I know how you feel. I'm a pretty chill gal, I get along with everybody. Only person I've ever had a problem though was someone who felt self entitled to EVERYTHING. Respect, your things, rewards even though she didn't put things in for work. Granted, she had a tough time, but then again, we all did, and what happened to her and how she ended up didn't quite add up. Humility is something you really need to work towards, but like most self help programs say, the first step towards solving a problem is admitting you have one. Humility is a lot harder to achieve, it's easy to see if you're angry all the time or sad all the time. Self entitlement is a different story. Those who feel self entitled often feel that they are perfect and can't quite take criticism well. It's hard to tell yourself to stop feeling like you deserve something if you genuinely do. Sometimes though, the requests get absurd.

7. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

My heart goes out to you, dear Breeld! What a tough, tough thing it must be to have your children afflicted this way - I am so sorry. I'll give you here what I've seen in studying the afterlife evidence, although I understand that it likely isn't much of a comfort. I'm sorry for that, too!

1) Serious illnesses are often said to be important factors in spurring spiritual growth. Not in every lifetime, of course, but when we are spiritually ready for what is an especially challenging growth opportunity, apparently these very serious illnesses that eventually lead to death are seen by us in retrospect to have been especially valuable growth opportunities. You see this especially in reference to cancer, but it applies in all such situations. We think of spiritual growth as primarily learning to love and learning to forgive - or at least, I do! - but apparently it's considerably more complex than that. Learning patience, learning acceptance and grace, and learning other virtues as well apparently is also very important. So, dear friend, your sons are spiritual heroes for having taken this on, and everyone here wishes only good in their eternal lives!

2) A very easy, privileged life is an especially big challenge. Apparently a lot of us in planning our lives will plan tough problems to be surmounted, but the challenge of managing an extremely wealthy and untroubled life makes even strong beings quail! To succumb to the many temptations of such a life - selfishness, narcissism, etc. - is easy, and it can severely set back our spiritual growth.

Everything is so very different from what we think it is, dear friends - our perspective is so narrow while we're here! Big hug, darling Breeld - thank you so much for sharing with us.

8. ilovelearninhg

ilovelearninhg Regular Contributor

Breeld, I'm so sorry you lost a son and your other sons have Huntington's disease. My heart goes out to you. I am irritated and disturbed by some people who seem to live easy lives. I know I shouldn't be like that but I agree with you what lessons are they supposed to be learning? Sometimes it just rains and pours with some people. And others, well, it's mostly sunny with just a sprinkle of showers at times. I think these people that have the easy lives should do more to help the ones that don't. Perhaps that is their lesson?

9. ilovelearninhg

ilovelearninhg Regular Contributor

Those with Downs are lovely aren't they? They know what love truly is. My son has a dual diagnosis of Downs/autism and also epilepsy but he still manages to find happiness. What a lesson to all of us, these handicapped people. You're right, they are the real heroes.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  10. breeld

breeld New Member

Thank you all for your sympathy. You`re such an understanding bunch of people. I guess I cope by acting like it`s not real. Kinda burying my head in the sand.
    As far as Down Syndrome-I`ve always had a special affinity for the people that have that. In fact, I have 2 customers with that. One female, one male. There`s just something about these people that are afflicted with this that makes me just want to hug them. They really are special.