1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

How to perform Self-Hypnosis

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by janef, Mar 1, 2014.

1. janef

janef Moderator

I have several books on self-hypnosis but I came across this website that I really like. I think it is very thorough and easy to use. One thing I know is you don't have to follow it word for word, you can alter it to suit yourself. Use soft music if it suits you. You can let your mind wander, move around to be more comfortable, use it as your time to be in touch with the deepest parts of yourself. I always think of it as the most comfortable, safest place I can be.

One thing I don't think is mentioned is releasing negativity from your body thru your breath which I like to do as I focus on my breathing, breathing in new positive energy and expelling old negative energy.
    I also like to ask for my heart chakra to open and allow Love to come in.

http://www.wikihow.com/Perform-Self-Hypnosis

2. Highlander

Highlander Active Member

Jaenf, thanks for that link. I will check it out more closely when I get the chance. Overwhelmed with family drama right now. I've been meditating for decades and am curious to find out how self-hypnosis differs from meditation. There are many forms of meditation, so maybe this is closely related or a variation of what I've been doing?
    I'm always stumped by people who say they can't meditate because their brain wanders. Everybody's brain wanders; that's why we have meditation, to calm the mind, among other benefits.
    Kinda like a fat person saying he's too fat to exercise. Huh?

3. I wonder if that's part of the problem,now that you mention it. People try meditating and find they have limited success, so they stop. But it's a skill, and you won't do it right the first time or the first 20 times. Like a baby learning to walk. They fall down constantly,but they never say "this is for other babies, I suck at it." They keep trying. Eventually nearly all of them learn it.

4. janef

janef Moderator

Yes, excellent analogy.... The basic difference is, self-hypnosis is going into an altered state of consciousness, a deeper trance than meditation, with specific goals in mind, things you want to accomplish and make suggestions to try to embed those thoughts in your subconscious. It is an excellent tool in reducing stress, fear, anxiety, insomnia and limitless things. Even healing. After learning to go in to trance, you can do it without going thru all the steps... simply relaxing and counting down 5-1. The visualization is key to achieving what you want. I have had amazing results with it over the years. I also use it to simply "chat" with my subconscious/higher self about guidance etc. ie,...."help me with this!" I consider my subconscious my best friend.

5. Highlander

Highlander Active Member

I think babies succeed at learning to walk because they don't have an ego (yet) or expectations. Neither do they have any sense of failure. So, they just do what looks cool and feels right. Viola! They walk.

6. Highlander

Highlander Active Member

Janef, What I've been doing since 1973 is closer to what you are describing than simply meditating. I can enter a deep state in seconds although I still find my brain can wander at times. It is necessary for me to gently bring myself back to focusing and relaxing. I will use your method today and better be able to compare. I believe children should be taught these techniques in school. The world would be a better place.

7. ilovelearninhg

ilovelearninhg Regular Contributor

Thanks Janef. I intend to try self hypnosis sometime soon, for healing and other things. I did notice something interesting after I meditated recently. I felt some tingling after the meditation and the next night when I went to bed the tingling felt like pops and cracks in my body, it felt like it was unblocking things and starting to heal things. I feel like it just scratched the surface though. I do feel a constant hum of energy in my body though especially my legs. I think self hypnosis could be very effective at self-healing.

8. janef

janef Moderator

(I just wrote this to you on another thread and decided it should be here.)

Yes, the mind is very powerful, you can make changes to almost anything you wish by giving suggestions to the subconcious mind. I began using it for an anxiety disorder... still do. I would get a horrible rash like poison oak that medication couldn't help. My therapist was just beginning to use hypnosis and asked if I wanted to give it a try. He gave the suggestion it would begin to clear on the left foot (my feet were covered with it) and when I would come back in a week that foot would be healed. Well... it didn't take a week, as soon as I left his office it didn't itch anymore and the next morning it was healing..but not the other one! So of course I went back to do the other one and he taught me self-hypnosis and as soon as I feel it coming on, I quickly do a session and take care of it. I use a visualization of putting my feet in a cool blue healing liquid.
    I used it to heal my daughters warts, and they have never come back again. It is so amazing!

9. janef

janef Moderator

I couldn't agree more, I have thought the same thing. Yes, self-hypnosis is faster getting into trance.. I also enter in a few seconds. So it can be used almost anywhere except for driving! lol.. And they say (in my textbooks) one does not have to be relaxed. You can actually walk around! and its true, I have done it.
    When I discovered how powerful it was, I was so curious as to what else it could do... so decided to become a Hypnotherapist. It works amazing to help people quit smoking.. my first clients. It only took one session for my husband.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  10. janef

janef Moderator

I agree, for some reason I hear over and over how they can't relax enough or quiet the mind enough to do it. I also don't think you can do it wrong... you just get better results each time.