1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

How To Cut The Ego Out

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by innerperson, Sep 19, 2018.

1. innerperson

innerperson Member

I have been reading this forum for some time and found a lot of meaning that I was missing from my Catholic upbringing. Catholicsm wasn't answering the questions I had and was one the reasons I couldn't continue with the religion.

But the topics of this forum did answer my questions and gave me a better path to follow.

Thank you for that! Many of the topics, in this forum, has helped my fill in those questions that made sense.

Now for my question...

I find great satisfaction in helping people when I am able. I always have.

While I would rather help people anonymously... I am finding that having discussions on topics like forgiving themselves for past mistakes to be greatly beneficial. Topics that has taken me some time to figure out.

Some of the people I talk too have had some interesting pasts that they need to overcome.

I guess my main question is how do I help others without feeding into my own ego? I know, from the past, how our egos can lead us falsely and I am worried that I will fall into some ego trap while trying to help those that ask for help.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    pandora97 likes this.
  2. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

Be sympathetic and once you do, feel what they do. Then.... Hook into that emotion. You will want them to be better and will be happy when they are.

innerperson likes this.
  3. innerperson

innerperson Member

Thanks Kurt, that means a lot.

Kurt likes this.
  4. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

Your welcome. I had the same issue. Feeling like I was giving bad advice and feeding my own ego...

I don't anymore.

innerperson likes this.
  5. innerperson

innerperson Member

Thanks again Kurt.

This last guy I was able to help really resonated with me which is why I asked the question. A lot of his issues was something I had dealt with and was able to discuss what I did that helped me without trying to tell him what he needed to do. I definitely understood where they were coming from because I went through a lot of the same issue that they did. I guess my main worry was helping people like that without feeding into my own ego. Am I trying to really help this guy or am I trying to make myself feel better? I've been ruled by my ego and it was never a positive experience.

Kurt likes this.