1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

How Do You Remove Negative Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by innerperson, Sep 2, 2020.

1. innerperson

innerperson New Member

I hope everyone is doing well. :)

For the past several years, I have been trying to remain aware of my thoughts. It sounds strange to put it that way, but before I wouldn't pay much attention to my thoughts. I would just have them and not wonder where they came from and why I was having them. To work on being less judgmental, I put more effort into recognizing judgmental and negative thoughts.

Now that I am more aware, I am perplexed at why some negative thoughts would pop into my head. I can't seem to figure out where they are coming from and why I would have them. I try not to dwell on them, but I do want to address the issue that is causing them.

Is this a environmental issue. We are living in very polarized times and maybe I should remove all news from my daily life.

How do you deal with unwanted thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  2. UnseekingSeeker

UnseekingSeeker New Member

@ Innerperson ... as of my understanding, we may classify our thoughts into two groups. One is the thought arising from lower mind or let us say, the mind-body identity. The other is from higher mind or we may say, God consciousness or universal consciousness.

The lower aspect dwells in either the past or the future, driven by urge of identity, stagnating in its narrow issues, with identity as the doer. The higher aspect is a hollow conduit, in resonation with the love vibration. The higher has no agenda, other than to reflect love & light, in surrender.

Negativity or contraction arises from lower mind, being not in alignment with the life current. As such, if we identify the impulse within as it arises, we can become aware of its attribute. Thereafter, we choose indulgence or freedom, as of affinity, which again we can steer with divine assistance.

innerperson likes this.
  3. mac

mac Staff Member

Website owner Roberta may be able to offer her thoughts. (Blog - Roberta Grimes) She says she won't watch TV or follow the news.

Tell her I 'sent' you. :)

innerperson likes this.
  4. kim

kim Regular Contributor

How might we distinguish what may be a negative thought from a positive thought? What about listening to another person's advice? How far do you go?

innerperson likes this.
  5. mac

mac Staff Member

Hi kim

I don't know how one decides what's negative compared with what's realistic. Positive thoughts I don't think I would worry about.

As for heeding another's advice I'd say similar to what I say about heeding the advice of a discarnate individual, something often mentioned. My response would be that if you have found someone's previous advice to be helpful and reliable then consider any new advice. If that's not the case then use your best judgement.

kim likes this.
  6. Cupid

Cupid New Member

Doing well thank you, and I hope the same to you.

Simply watch the toughts from a distance as you would watch a cloud passing in a blue sky. It will disolve by itself at some point and tell you a lot about who is the watcher in you. You are not the thought that you are watching.

Regards

innerperson likes this.
  7. innerperson

innerperson New Member

Thanks Mac! I remember her saying that which is why I am thinking that is my main problem. Maybe I need to get over that feeling of wanting to know what is happening. Not that I could change anything. haha

8. innerperson

innerperson New Member

Hi Kim,

I typically catch myself in some judgmental thoughts from time to time. I try to be aware of them and ask myself "where the heck did that come from?" I have a feeling part of the problem is allowing all the craziness to enter into my attention span and the negatively seeps into my thoughts. I will be trying to put more time into avoiding the news and the negativity that comes with it. I have a sneaky suspicion that it will work. I'll be sure to come back after some time and update my progress.

9. innerperson

innerperson New Member

Thanks Cupid,

That is something I have had some success with. I don't dwell on the negatively and try to let it pass by. The last thing I want is for those negative thoughts to grow roots! I'm trying to understand why I would have them to begin with.

10. innerperson

innerperson New Member

Thanks UnseekingSeeker,

I am relying on how thoughts and actions feel. Positivity always feels great. Helping others always feels great. Thinking good of everyone always feels great. Compared to negativity and judging others will make me feel not so good or bleh. That is also how I try to determine if I am on the right path that was planned out for me. The happier I am the more I feel I am on the correct path. The unhappier I am then I try to figure out where I may have strayed from my life plan.