1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you know odd coincidences are actually signs from a spirit?

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by Juniper, Oct 13, 2015.

1. janef

janef Moderator

Yeah.. even my husband says lots of things happened that seemed too coincidental. We never drove this road before... We both felt almost like we were having an obe when we found our house. It was also perfect because we could rent out the guest house making the payment much easier for us. A dream come true.

2. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

I know that I saw what looked to me like a representation of his face on the shade (it was a heavy pull down shade, as opposed to a light fabric curtain), yes. My sister saw it as well, as did my parents, my brother-in-law, and a friend. That is not proof of continued existence in an afterlife, however. It might be a sign from my husband, or it might be pareidolia and/or wishful thinking. I hope it was a sign from my husband, and I do find some comfort in it, but it is not proof.

The medium did say some things that seemed possibly validating to me, but I am not going to detail them here. The reading did help me a bit, in that it lent some credence (to me) to the possibility of an afterlife existing, but to me what occurred during the reading is also not definitive proof of an afterlife. I understand that for some people it would be, but I really don't think I can definitively believe an afterlife exists unless/until my husband actually comes and shows/tells me (or possibly unless god, if there is one, does the same -- though I very much doubt that will occur).

3. janef

janef Moderator

I never expected you to share private info. It is just unfortunate the medium could not give you more validation. Like stuff she couldn't possibly know unless he was passing the information. Like if he had said "hey... tell her it WAS me!" validating the image of himself. I was just wondering as you waited 2 years for that reading. Who was the medium?

It seems unlikely all of you could have "wishful thinking" at the same time and see the same thing. I hope you get more signs...it really helps grief when you begin to know this is not the end. :)

4. marmaladecat

marmaladecat Member

I love the way Mickey uses music as a way of communicating with others. :)

5. Juniper

Juniper Member

Hi marmaladecat,

It certainly sounds like you and those around you have had some interesting experiences. Funny thing that you mentioned butterflies as I have had a coincidence relating to them, though I don't again know if I should put this down to any particular spirit. I find though when I am having some major life changes, usually for the better, I'll often have some sort of unusual interaction with a butterfly or dragonfly. As either one could symbolize transformation, and I have gotten into a habit of asking what the meaning of an odd coincidence could be, I tend to think when it happens that they signal some major life change. Like a good omen of sorts.

Your story is really fitting then since you said you were out looking for a home for your family..that certainly would be a major life change, to move somewhere else.

I also get the song coincidences too, relating to the person who was in my dream. Sometimes when something awful happens I'll wind up hearing a song I connect to him. I also have had other odd song coincidences, like sometimes I will hear a song on the radio, think it will be a good song to send out in memory of him, then I will look it up online and invariably find it was recorded on the anniversary of his death or his birthday. Or there will be some other major connection to him I couldn't know.

6. bluebird

I was satisfied by the reading, although yes it would have been good if she had said something that couldn't possibly have come from anyone other than my husband. I don't think the wait has any bearing on the situation, though -- either a medium is legit or s/he is not, whether the wait is 2 days or 2 years. The medium I saw is Janet Nohavec.

I don't think it is unlikely that we all had wishful thinking at the same time, especially if pareidolia was involved (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia). I hope that's not what it was, but there is no way to know. Thank you for wishing that I get more signs, but I see/hear things that might be signs quite often; I wish they were enough to convince me of my husband's continued existence, but they are not. I would rather it be otherwise, but I really don't think I will be convinced of the existence of an afterlife unless/until I am in it myself, or unless/until my husband actually comes to me and tells me it exists. I don't expect my grief to end until I am dead.

7. janef

janef Moderator

Yes, I hear she is a good medium, can only deliver whatever she gets. Glad you were satisfied with the reading.

8. bluebird

Thanks. I do believe that, at minimum, she believes in what she is doing; i.e., that she isn't out to scam anyone. I am not sure if there is an afterlife in which my husband still exists and that it is with him she communicated, but I don't discount the possibility, and I fervently hope that's what transpired.

9. Juniper

Juniper Member

Hi Roberta,

Thanks for replying. I do agree with you in that there definitely can be situations that seem significantly far less likely to occur. I get lots of coincidences of that variety.

But quite honestly I still have no connection with a lot of them to any particular spirit, and some of them date back many years. I suspect I won't ever have one either. While I don't usually write all of them down, some I have and it still remains to be seen who, if anyone, orchestrated them.

Then, the other big issue I am having is the ones I have had lately appear on the surface to tie to someone I dreamed about, in the dream I alluded to above. Trouble is, I never knew this person so again, I'm having a fairly severe degree of difficulty believing he'd be doing this.

That said, I do believe in spirits, I've rather been forced to believe it due to circumstances. The dream I had for instance included a list of things that relate to this person including things there is no way I could have known, and it eludes logical explanation (even a skeptic grudgingly admitted to me he had no rational explanation for it. )

I had spoken with a friend of the man who appeared to me and it seems that it is very possible it was really his spirit..and definitely it was a spirit dream (it could be some spirit pretended to be him though, I have had that happen before.)

Just why though I am meriting a ton of attention from him if these coincidences are from him I don't really understand..I mean, I can come up with some compelling reasons why but..he's a stranger to me. He certainly doesn't owe me anything.

And what is very baffling is, the people I know who have died...never show up. I mean never too, no dreams, no waking visions not even a coincidence...and that's a list of people, including a dear friend I'd like to believe still exists somewhere.

Oddly the only people I have spirit dreams of are usually people I do or may have some genealogical connection to through marriage, whom I never knew.

Why that is i may be able to explain but..then again, maybe not. But truly it isn't their job to be looking out for me.

Were it the case that people I did actually know seemed linked to these events I might be more inclined to believe it...but that sadly is not the case.

Ultimately, I am not sure it's even in my best interest to believe that one spirit is doing these things too.

And then, I often wonder if maybe we aren't driving these situations somehow. Like how do I know say that maybe I didn't prearrange these situations before I was born, that I agreed to be in this or that place at a certain time where I'd see some coincidence that would lead me to think I was being looked out for, when in reality it just happened so that I could make myself believe that?

Of course, I have no trouble if other people want to believe spirits do these things. For all I know maybe they do sometimes and other times maybe something else is going on. Or, maybe they say look out for you Roberta but not me...who knows. Just at least with the current coincidences from that one spirit, whoever he really is, I feel I need some sort of very solid proof it is him doing them.

10. Juniper

Juniper Member

Your NDE-like experience sounds a fair amount like mine, from what you write here, except my situation was life-threatening.

11. janef

janef Moderator

Oh wow.... Please share it.

12. janef

janef Moderator

Then you were not convinced. I have heard it does make a difference if the sitter has a lot of anger or too much grief, it sometimes blocks the connection. Did she say anything about that?

13. bluebird

She did not feel the connection was blocked at all. She felt that he absolutely was there, and was communicating with me through her. During the reading, i also felt that might be the case. The night before the reading, i did my best to communicate with my husband, clear my mind, try to be open, etc. If there is such a thing as an afterlife, then evidently that (combined with the medium's ability) worked. At the time of the reading, and for the rest of that day, i felt that probably it was real. After that day, i started to doubt, because that's just how it works with me.

14. janef

janef Moderator

I understand what you mean, my reading with my dad wasn't terribly convincing, and even my mom I could say she could have guessed at stuff that she got right. But it did sound like her personality.

The first reading I ever had ten years ago was the most convincing because I didn't tell her who I wanted to connect with, I didn't care, said anyone who wants to come thru, and she brought thru an old friend I hadn't seen in years, by name and said she had a message for me, it was very specific and something she couldn't possibly have guessed. This is when I became a true believer. Unfortunately they aren't always that validating. My husband also got 100% validation from his mom, who was atheist and promised to let us know if an afterlife existed. It was the most amazing reading of all, and only 1/2 hr for $45! Everything she said was validating with names, personal message. He was a total skeptic before that. Plus, the appt. was made earlier the same day, and not even told it was for a medium reading. (She does psychic readings too) ... she didn't know until the phone call when he asked if she could connect with his mom who died 3 weeks prior.

So, I honestly don't get it... maybe its a question for Mikey... if they want to communicate, why don't they say something totally convincing? My MIL did because we set it up before she passed.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  15. marmaladecat

marmaladecat Member

Perhaps the medium (who acts as a conduit) can only pick up on parts of communication at times, a little like a very crackly radio being unable to pick up the whole station due the tuning not always being spot on?

I must admit most of the readings I have had in the past seemed a lot more psychic than medium based. Although there was accurate information that came through which related to certain events happening in the present/future, very little of it actually related to clear validating messages from family that had passed. I did have one medium, Gerrie March who gave my grandfather's name and this session did feel as though he was trying to come through. Other messages were too vague a description in terms of recognising possible passed family. I have booked a session with a medium (Spring 2016), so I will update in the future on any information given.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  16. janef

janef Moderator

Maybe that happens, I don't know. I think my husbands reading was the most spot on of all. He said it was if his mom was on the ph with the medium and she relayed everything she said. Her word usage was spot on. She said things in a particular way, and had a sense of humor. And she delivered the message she said she would, exactly what she told me days before she passed, making sure he knew it was coming from her, with a name leaving no doubt whatsoever. It changed his life, he was totally skeptic. He has had visit dreams with her too. She visited me too, and I wasn't even asleep.

The last reading I got in April was not so good with the Australian lady. She did not connect with my mom at all. She asked if she was young when she passed.. she was 93. if she was Italian.. she's Irish. nothing made sense. And she told me something was going to happen in Nov. that someone close to me was going into the hospital, but it wouldn't be life threatening. It's not me she said, so I'm waiting for that... ugh... just keeping it honest here.. I will announce if this is comes true. Hope not.

What I think happens is, sometimes they filter things with their own experiences and history. I have heard some mediums actually prefer to do ph readings so they don't get influenced or distracted by the sitter, and get better readings.

Look forward to hearing about your reading. It's unbelievable these mediums are booked up so far in advance. Wow, what a business.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  17. marmaladecat

marmaladecat Member

Your husband's reading sounds like it provided evidence which was not only validating to him but to you too in what I would consider a truly authentic and meaningful experience. :)

I had one awful experience with one medium some years ago who I am sure was just cold reading. She appeared to be trying to work out my ethnicity whilst hazarding guesses about passed relatives based on these assumptions. She was also asking loads of questions which I thought was a bit suspicious too! Your reading with the Australian medium sounds quite similar in that she appears to have been fishing for clues! :mad:

18. Juniper

Juniper Member

My experience is so long, it wouldn't be easy..though the parts you wrote about being outside your body and connecting directly to Source and receiving telepathic info are things that happened to me as well.

19. janef

janef Moderator

btw... Juniper, It's great having you on the forum! I hope you will share some of it with us, all experiences are unique. Just a summary as I gave would be great. Were you able to remember the telepathic information? Did it change your beliefs?

20. Juniper

Juniper Member

Hey thanks janef, it's nice to be here! And I really liked reading about your experience, it was very validating.:)

I did have my beliefs really changed by what I went through. It's been very hard to adapt to actually, I still have a tough time with that sometimes. And I did remember the telepathic stuff too.

I will have to try to summarize what happened but even that may prove difficult since it's so long and I tend to ramble! :D