1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

How do mediums decipher messages so fast?

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by Auras, Jul 11, 2019.

1. mac

mac Staff Member

I'm most familiar with the way it is - or used to be - expected in Spiritualist development in the UK. How much mediumship development there is in other countries I'm not familiar with. In the SNU, and maybe non-SNU churches, the medium is expected to give information such as a name etc. and it's then reasonable to ask if the recipient can identify the information. A medium shouldn't be 'fishing' for information from the recipient.

That's exactly as I would expect.

I didn't suggest anyone was being fraudulent but a practitioner may not be as accomplished as she or he believes. All these observations are general and apply to any evidential medium ('spiritual medium') wherever they live and work.

Kurt likes this.
  2. Hazada Guess

Hazada Guess New Member

In my experience,as soon as a medium starts asking questions,then is the time to question his/her authority.

Kurt likes this.
  3. Auras

Auras New Member

So if a medium receives a message they don’t understand but try and interpret it anyway and ask a question regarding what they think... their authority should be questioned?

Everyone is different, we approach things in different ways, it makes sense to ask a question about the message you received as the answer could be a form of validation, or as most mediums do these days.... they just say what it is(which imo, is a hit or miss).

I’m really shocked how people expect mediumship to be performed a certain way. Work which ever way is comfortable to you. Yes we live in a world with cold readers and such but why should we judge somebody’s ability if they don’t use it the way everyone else does?

Kurt likes this.
  4. mac

mac Staff Member

The medium shouldn't be attempting to interpret - it does not matter one jot if the medium does not understand what's coming over.

The most respected mediums of old just delivered the message even though it may not have made any sense to the medium on delivery. What mattered was what it meant to the recipient, something the medium could not know until the recipient told him. It's perfectly OK for the medium to ask if the recipient understands or recognises the communicator but it's not OK to ask questions the way it was done in the posted video.

There is always room for a personal style of delivery but those who have followed the declining standards of evidential mediumship over years or decades have seen the change from the style I've been explaining/describing to the style often seen nowadays, frequently called 'channeling' with maybe a mix of psychic reading and mediumship combined.

You have a total right to choose whatever way you feel is right for you, Josh.

Kurt and poeticblue like this.
  5. Auras

Auras New Member

I just don’t agree with this, how are mediums suppose to deliver a message if they don’t know what it is they’re suppose to be saying to the recipient? There needs to be some sort of interpretation....

I feel stupid even trying to carry this conversation on. I just feel like I’m not getting a good enough answer.

Kurt likes this.
  6. mac

mac Staff Member

I guess that means it's me failing to give you a good answer then....:(

Let's look at it another way. Here's what Cambridge English Dictionary says: "interpret - definition: 1. to decide what the intended meaning of something is: 2. to express your own ideas about the intended meaning of a play or a piece of .."

Is that what you think a medium should be doing? What did you think 'interpret' meant?

I'm an old guy with a traditional approach to evidential mediumship and it's what I've ALWAYS understood mediumship to be. The medium delivers the message as closely as possible to what their spirit communicator is saying. They may have to tidy it up a little but it's not for her/him to decide what is meant and change it - i.e. it's not for her/him to interpret the message.

If the message is made up of signs and symbols - that is without any words - THEN the medium may have to try to make sense of the symbols and give the recipient her/his interpretation of what she/he is seeing. BUT the medium should explain to their sitter what they are doing and why. For me this is the least satisfactory form of mediumship simply BECAUSE the medium is getting involved with the message. Maybe that's the kind of mediumship you're thinking of? Interpreting the signs and/or symbols and delivering a message based on your interpretation?

I suppose I should add that I was meaning clairaudient or clairvoyant mediumship, where the medium hears the words of the communicator and may also clairvoyantly see the individual. That's what I consider to be the most simple evidential mediumship. (spiritual mediumship in the USA)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Kurt likes this.
  7. Auras

Auras New Member

No, I worded that sentence wrong, your answers are fine I just find it hard to understand stuff sometimes. It was stupid of me to say that the answers that had been given weren’t good enough.... classic josh

When I am talking about interpretation I am referring to this. “the action of explaining the meaning of something“ via google dictionary.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Kurt likes this.
  8. mac

mac Staff Member

Fair enough but it's not what I understand a medium is. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Kurt likes this.
  9. Auras

Auras New Member

I know you think I’m wrong.... but until I learn more about mediumship my opinion will remain the same.

Kurt likes this.
  10. mac

mac Staff Member

There's no right and no wrong, just different expectations. :)

Kurt and Auras like this.