1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

How did our existence get started?

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by TheUnknown, Oct 11, 2013.

1. If we are supposed to be immortal beings, what kick started our existence to begin with. Did some kind of higher power just decide that they were bored one day, and get this brainwave to force existence on people without their will or consent, just so that it could teach them "lessons"?

To me it seems so senseless and completely selfish.

2. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Good questions. I have no idea of the answers.

One possibility is that there's a god of some kind who created us -- maybe out of boredom, maybe from some other impetus, who knows. If so, s/he may have done so to teach us lessons, though to me it would be silly/stupid to create beings just to teach them lessons, so I don't think that's it, and if it is then I agree that god is selfish.

Another possibility is that some kind of god created us, but then lost control of the process and so hasn't had a hand in anything that has happened to us since.

Another possibility is that some kind of god created us, but then lost interest and so while s/he could intervene in everything that happens to us, s/he chooses not to.

Another possibility is that there is a god, but s/he is evil (I suppose that would make her/him a devil or demon, in the Judeo-Christian mythology).

Another possibility is that there is no god.

I'm sure there are more possibilities; those are just the ones that occur to me offhand.

3. frith

frith Member

If there is any master plan behind life I don't put it up to some god. At least not a god that has any more power over anything other than hitting an on switch and letting whatever happens play out itself. He's a deadbeat dad if he existed at all.

If we're immortal on some level and just going through this I have decided that this life is essentially a formality towards immortality. This universe and life in general has very specific rules governing it. A butterfly can only become a butterfly after its been an egg and then a caterpillar. If we're immortal the same applies here. We have to live a mortal life to turn immortal. There is no other reason behind it. Its an unfortunate formality made worse by how many of us react to it.

Why anything at all exists or why those rules exist are beyond my capacity as a mortal human to understand other than it just does. There is not a god behind it, IMO. Life is very decentralized and I imagine the afterlife, should it exist at all, is too.

4. Celera

Celera Active Member

I can only share my current, vague concept of this, which is a conglomerate of Christian and spiritualist thinking, and very possibly all wrong.

But if "it's all about love" as Mikey says - and he certainly isn't alone in that -- then, there must be something to love. If God exists as a single entity, how can there be love? There must be other entities. And if the other entities are going to be capable of loving, they must be capable of not loving as well. Christians teach that God Himself is a divided triune being. That means the idea of "God is Love" is literally true, God is composed of multiple sub-entities that love each other as a Father and Son (should) love each other. To me that is the profound truth behind the teaching of the Trinity, whether one takes the "Father, Son and Holy Spirit" part literally or not.

On the other hand, we don't know that there is a "God" that existed by itself and then created other entities. It may be that we have all existed forever. Keep in mind that our concept of existing forever is hopelessly skewed while we are confined to this four-dimensional shoe box called "life on Earth."

Although many here express feelings of resentment for having to live out your current lives, and believe your lives were forced upon you, keep in mind that if messages from the other side are to be believed, we are all volunteers. Like volunteers for military service, we may have signed up too impulsively, with too little investigation or with grand unrealistic dreams of heroism, only to find that we are spending our service peeling potatoes and swabbing decks, or starving in a POW camp. But volunteers nonetheless.

5. Celera

Celera Active Member

I don't want to take over the conversation but I have to offer an alternative to the deadbeat dad image, as much as I empathize with the feeling.

As a parent of adult children, who are very cool guys but also have each had struggles and made mistakes and failed painfully at things that matter, I have gained more understanding of the idea of a God who sets his children free and watches helplessly as we do all the wrong stuff. It's heartbreaking to see your children have bad luck and even more heartbreaking to see them make unwise -- and occasionally immoral -- choices. I could perhaps interfere more than I do, but they are adults and have the right to make these decisions on their own. I sometimes wish they were toddlers again so I could guide and protect them. Probably sometimes they wish that too. But that's not how it works.

If there is a "God" in anything like the Christian sense, I think humanity must break his heart a million times a day. But we are adults with free will, and have to find our own way.