1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

hobbies and passions

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Avantgarde, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Avantgarde

Avantgarde New Member

Greetings to everyone, this is the first time I post here, and firstly wanted to say thanks.

My question revolves around something I read in a another post. Roughly about a person stating that they would love to keep all the good things they have in life (house, etc).

As I see it, we all have could things that could be considered "passions" or hobbies (things that give meaning, passion etc):

whether that be collecting books, collecting vinyl records, instruments, playing in a band, making music, painting, arquitecture/houses, software, videogames, gardening, fashion, all other types of collecting, sports, cars, and the list could be endless.

It would make sense that these things would still be part of us (if we still wish of course) and that they would have to be "kept" in the afterlife, as its supposed to be a better place and improvement of all the things we have.

What are the thoughts about this?

Thank you very much, and regards

2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Welcome! What seems to be the case is that our perspective changes considerably once we are there, so our interests may or may not change. If we are not very advanced spiritually, we might do more of what we loved to do here, and we might begin to teach it; for example, I have an aunt who made all her own clothing in life, and now she gives lessons in sewing using what the medium told me were "crystal sewing machines." On the other hand, those who are more advanced spiritually are likely to shed their temporal interests, and to gravitate to more spiritual levels and pursuits. Where a home is concerned, many of us will live for a time in a mind-created house that resembles our favorite earth-home; and if we are sufficiently developed spiritually, it seems to be the case that whatever we might want from our most-recent earth-life will appear there if we just think of it (in other words, apparently you CAN "take it with you.") It is very possible, too, for us to resume interests from other lifetimes that we might not have cared about in this most recent lifetime. When I called my first book on this subject The Fun of Dying, that was quite literally an observation of what the dead were telling us: it really is a lot of fun to be there!

3. Avantgarde

Avantgarde New Member

Thanks for the response Roberta. Very Interesting.

That's what I would assume, because there are certain things that really do give a lot of joy and passion. I also forgot to mention something like watching movies, or the theatre or a job

Concerning the mind created house etc, sometimes we may desire things but after we have seen them: for example, when youre looking for a home or a car o a specific garmet, or videogame, you might not know what you want and like until you actually see it in a store etc or just try it out, Or for example, if someone had a very large book or record or movie collection its impossible to remember everything that was in the collection.

I think all of this are very interesting topics of discussion in general.

regards

4. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Intriguing question, Avantgarde.

If an afterlife exists, and if we have free will in the afterlife, as well as the ability to create or "wish into being" whatever we choose, then my husband and I will live (so to speak) in a Victorian house with lots of nooks, lots of books, and lots of cats (as we wanted to do in this life). We will spend our time making love, talking with each other, socializing with loved family members and friends, reading books, taking walks, cooking and eating meals together, writing poetry (me), playing instruments/music (him). We will probably also want to take classes and learn things, as well as possibly teaching others some of what we know (how to write poetry, how to play drums and guitar and other instruments, etc.). In other words, we will continue living the life together that was stolen from us, though hopefully in a way and place that does not allow pain and loss and anguish.

I don't know how long we will want to do that; possibly for eternity (if there is such a thing). We will surely want to help others, maybe those who are newly arrived and/or who went through some of the same crap we did in life, but while we will want to do those sorts of "spiritually advanced" things, we will also always want to be together. I would be perfectly happy and content to spend all of eternity in that house with my beloved, with our pets, and eventually with our other loved ones should they make that same choice. I have little interest in encountering any sort of "god", should such a being exist, and I have zero interest in "merging" with that god (should it exist) in any way.

What about you, Avantgarde?

5. Avantgarde

Avantgarde New Member

Hi bluebird:

I think that above all what is important is that there is no anxiety, fear, doubts etc but purely a sense of pure joy, comfort, and peace living in which everway makes us happy-being aboslutely 100% satisfied. In my case I think it would be feeling very connecting and love with the perfect soulmate, family, friends etc, and also a special passion for music and record collecting, films, software development, food, sex, sports, and other fun things.

I just think that disorders and things like anxiety, fears, doubts and intrusive unwanted thoughts make it difficult to enjoy and feel peace, joy and comfort. With all that gone (anything that makes us feel pain and uncomfortable), the result should just be sheer joy and being able to truly be yourself and being 100% happy with what we have/ truly wish, unlike here on earth.

bluebird likes this.
  6. Avantgarde

Avantgarde New Member

Forgot to mention , that thing like anxiety, fears, OCD thoughts, pain, etc etc, are imperfections just like a diabetic, for example, and all of those things only exist as part of the earthly existence, because after all they are things that make us suffer. In the end, sometimes, certian feelings can be welcomed and tolerated, but suffering in whatever shape or form is what should not be.

bluebird likes this.
  7. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Please don't worry about the limitations of your mind and your memory! After death we promptly re-connect with the 90%-plus of our eternal minds that we left behind when we came to earth, and reportedly then we can remember everything!

8. bluebird

Avantgarde,

I agree with both of your responses, and I hope that you are right.

9. Avantgarde

Avantgarde New Member

Hi again,

rereading some other posts, Id like to comment on what I mentioned earlier on this thread. Since I was around 20 (Im 36 now) ive suffered from anxiety anxiety related intrusive unwanted thoughts OCD . This year has been hell for me regarding this from a perido of intense severe stress, and because the brain is in the flight or fight response all these negative "what if" thoughts pop in and its a state of fear. This state of anxiety also leads to feelings of derealization and weird sensations, existential thoughts, doom, etc etc. and now Im terrified. I need peace of mind to know that none of this will happen, the fears and the what if things. Like I said when the brains and OCD thoughts try to trick you into fearing the "worst", its part of a anxious brain and disorder and has nothing to do with the true self and mind.

10. Avantgarde

Avantgarde New Member

Since I was 20 it hasnt been continuous at all, just depending on the time of year and stress/anxiety, but 2017 and now very bad.

11. Ed A.

Ed A. Member

It helps me to remind myself that anxiety (worry) is almost always a false alarm. I read a study once that showed that only about 15% of the things worriers worry about ever happens, and even when they do, they cope with them better than they expect.

It also helps to remind myself that our brains have been trained through millions of years of evolution to be predisposed to give off false alarms (because the fearless perished and the worriers survived).

It also helps to remind myself not to take my worries seriously. A lot of people get into trouble because they take them seriously, fight or resist them, try to "overcome" them, etc. I find it better to just recognize them for what they are (false alarms) and not give them much attention or credence. If I can manage, I laugh at them and/or myself. We take all this way too seriously (and I'm as guilty of that as anyone).

12. Avantgarde

Avantgarde New Member

Hi Ed A. thanls for your response. You are absolutely right, I hate it that the brain acts that way, thats why I think that most of these type of thoughts are not are own but just a production of that false alarm, faulty fiht or flight system. Regarding OCD/anxiety intrusive unwanted thoughts and fears, I have been struggling specifically this year with them a lot, due to the fact that my anxiety has been very high. When this kind of anxiety is out of whack due to a disorder, I understand that we shouldnt feel responsible of these thoughts and that they dont represent the true mind.

For some time I had always had thatneed to know about the afterlife, but obsessing and researching about it due to anxiety (whether its the topi of death or any other topic that can fuel more anxiety and ideas) is not good. I really always yearned for a continuation in the afterlife but a positive happy one full of love, and I just want to stay calm thinking that faulty intrusive thoughts that stick dont have anything to do in the afterlife. Thats something thats terrifying me at the moment.

Ed A. likes this.
  13. bluebird

I have anxiety/panic disorder and OCD as well, so just know you are not alone. {{{{hugs}}}}

14. kim marine

kim marine Active Member

I have OCD and worry a lot too. I don't know why either, because when I step back and take a look at how my life is going I have no reason to worry at all. My life is definitely not going to the same beat as an average life, because things just happen, but things are good. The highest vibe of Consciousness shows up in my life when It needs to be there for me, and I can tune into It or just ignore It and live my life according to the knowing of my carnal self. This is what I mean about free will bluebird, I can tune my imagination or thoughts into any frequency of Consciousness that I desire, but the highest frequency always manages to care for us if we follow It.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018