1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Hi, I'm Coby

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by CobyMD97, May 7, 2019.

1. CobyMD97

CobyMD97 New Member

Greetings. I found this site more through random searching through the internet, as I have been in a phase of an existential crisis, searching for evidence and reason to believe in an afterlife, and in general just looking to see if there is any serious evidence for it as the topic of death, existence, the meaning of life and even the meaning of the things we do here on earth (if any) has been on my mind a lot. I have not personally had a Near Death Experience, nor have I ever seen a medium - but I do forever miss my father, who passed away in 2009 when I was 12 (yeah, this October will be 10 years). I personally have just been trying to find out what the truth is, as I want to believe what is true, where the evidence leads, I came here because, well, with this topic on my mind so much I figured it was a good place to start.

Kurt likes this.
  2. Luna

Luna New Member

Welcome Coby!

I'm sorry to hear of your crisis, and of your father's passing. I can relate a lot to your current situation (the crisis), as I went through the same thing a while before joining this forum.

Firstly, I'd like to reassure you that you are not alone in feeling this way. I also have read a lot of studies that state the ages of 20-30 is the most common time for someone to start thinking about death, afterlife etc. It was true for myself as well.

Like you, I have not had a near death experience or seen a medium. I did find it helpful to read about different ideals, experiences, near death experiences etc. However what helped me the most was definitely reading over the questions and answers from Carol and Mikey. They have their own section on the forum.

There is a wealth of information and resources to go over on this forum, and I'm sure other members can make good recommendations of books, or other guides. In my opinion, I find it helpful to focus on the ideals/experiences that resonate with you. If something sounds too foreign or even discomforting about an idea, then try not to focus on it. I hope that makes sense- it is hard to word what I mean to say.

I hope you find what you are looking for, and I'm happy to help you in any way if I can.

CobyMD97 likes this.
  3. mac

mac Staff Member

welcome to ALF :) I hope this will be the start of your journey of learning and acceptance of survival.

Kurt, CobyMD97 and Luna like this.
  4. CobyMD97

CobyMD97 New Member

Thanks so much :) I hope this will be something special too. Thank you both for welcoming me. I'll be sure to look around. There are things both good and troubling been on my mind so much lately.

Luna likes this.
  5. Luna

Luna New Member

Both good and troubling?

6. mac

mac Staff Member

That's a long sentence covering a wide range of subjects. ;)

Firstly should you be prepared to give the time you will find there's abundant evidence of the survival of loved ones and their return to communicate they are alive and well.

As for the meaning of life well that's a cliche but if you do the above you should also find guidance about the so-called meaning of life. The converations are interlinked but I will offer a caution - it can take some time to get your head around this stuff. I'll stick my head out by saying there's little likelihood of a quick fix to the phase of existential crisis you say you've been experiencing. Sorry if that's too blunt but there's no value in being unrealistic.

NDEs are another issue altogether and my suggestion is that you don't give any time or effort to them for now. Their importance in the bigger picture is often misrepresented and/or misunderstood. Consider them later rather than sooner is another suggestion. A visit to a medium can be worthwhile but isn't essential to understanding and the cost of such a visit in the USA can be considerable.

I'll finish with another suggestion. Try to decide what issue feels the most important and focus on that for a while. Take a look around the pages here on ALF, the discussions we've had, what folk have had to say on the subject and see if any of it resonates for you. The chances are that everything you're wondering about someone else has also wondered about - and asked!

CobyMD97 likes this.
  7. Kurt

Kurt Major Contributor

Welcome

CobyMD97 likes this.
  8. poeticblue

poeticblue member

Welcome. Everyone has their beliefs and their own truths in life. Hopefully this forum will help guide you on that path to finding yours!

CobyMD97 likes this.
  9. CobyMD97

CobyMD97 New Member

It's a little hard to explain, the good is that I'm trying to remain hopeful that there is an afterlife and that I won't like, suffer or be punished for my actions, but at the same time the troubling parts is when I read sources claiming that NDEs and Mediums are actually some form of demonic deception (web pages using biblical sources, as well as videos arguing the same) makes me terrified and unsure what to believe, in all honesty.

Thank you for the advice, I'll try to do that, and yeah I think I've seen some of what it's on my mind - for a few days/moments before I joined I lurked a bit.

10. ravensgate

ravensgate Regular Contributor

Welcome, Coby! :)

CobyMD97 likes this.