1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

Hi Everyone!

Discussion in 'Introductions & Helpful Information' started by meganmachinegun, Sep 15, 2017.

1. meganmachinegun

meganmachinegun New Member

Hi guys,
    Im very happy to have found a forum like this one. My name is Megan and I began having "experiences" at a young age. Growing up in the Bible Belt I'm somewhat ignorant to many terms used, and I'm hopeful to learn more from y'all. I'm not sure the extent of my abilities, but I feel it's time to figure them out and learn ways to better control them.I will be happy to share more information about my experiences. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. mac

mac helper Staff Member

Perhaps you could outline a few of your experiences - I don't envy your living in the Bible Belt!

I'm presently in the UK where we have a large network of Spiritualist churches and centers with little impact from mainstream religions on their activities or teaching. My understanding and interest is underpinned by some of the teachings found in the Spiritualist philosophy, one crucial aspect of that being the possibility of spirit communication through evidential mediumship. Perhaps your attributes include that particular ability or maybe simply psychic awareness.

Here you can speak freely because whatever your specialty, interest or experience it's high likely we'll know something about it and/or there may be someone here with similar attributes or experience.

3. meganmachinegun

I'm hopeful that someone here could give insight on what my experiences are called, so I am able to do more research about them. I spent most of my teenage years trying to block them out because, it was something that scared me. Now things are getting more intense, and in South Carolina it's hard to find resources to help.
    • As a child a had an imaginary friend who turns out.....wasn't so imaginary!
    • I began seeing what looked like a shadow person in my bedroom around 10 years old, it was in the shape of a man and would just walk out of my closet and disappear. Now 25 my neighbor tells me that a teenage male hung himself in what was my closet years ago.
    • When I go to my moms house a see a shadow person of a female, after I see her I get extreme migraines to the point of being sick.
    • My entire life on and off I've had what I call sleep paralysis, which has started back recently and is occurring 2 time weekly or more. It happens multiple ways one in which I feel like I'm trapped in my body and can't move, or the other where I'm standing beside my bed looking at myself asleep.
    • I'm also very good at reading people, it feels like I'm actually feeling what they are feeling. For example, my boyfriend will come home from work and he's had a bad day. I feel like I had a bad day as well, it's hard to explain. It's like I feel other people's emotions, and it's pretty overwhelming. It's caused me to have pretty bad anxiety and depression.
    • I have very vivid dreams that sometimes seem insane, but usually come back as helpful later on. I also see like images almost like a picture in my dreams that show up randomly.
    there are a number of other things but these are just some that stand out.

4. mac

mac helper Staff Member

My immediate reaction is that you're highly psychically sensitive - perhaps no surprise for you there.

Clearly you're very empathetic and 'pick up' on what's happening to others. The various other examples you give all fit the general picture of someone with psychic 'gifts'. What to do with them, how best to control them rather than they controlling you, is unclear.

Here in the UK it would be fairly straightforward to explain the steps you could take but the USA does not have a Spiritualist church structure similar to the one in the UK, somewhere that help is readily found. A quick look at the NSAC list shows no churches in SC anyway - again not a surprise.

Perhaps our American members can comment whether something else is available in their country?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    meganmachinegun likes this.
  5. poeticblue

poeticblue Moderator

Welcome Megan. Glad to have you here. I've been an on and off contributor towards this forum for quite a while and have found it to be a great resource for coping, dealing, and learning about the meaning of this life and/or the afterlife.

In regards to your post, I grew up in a family that taught Baptism but I never entertained the thought that there was precisely one way of thinking in life and often felt like an outsider due to my curiosity.

It is a good thing that you found yourself here on the forums and willing to leave your door open rather than closed. I guarantee that if you stick around long enough, you will learn a great deal here. There may be various opinions that people may give but it's up to you how you feel and what you choose to believe. Judging from your post above, I think you will be just fine.

meganmachinegun likes this.
  6. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Megan, you are a sensitive - perhaps a big one - and you ought to develop your gifts! One thing you might do is to contact Susanne Wilson through Carefreemedium.com and tell her what you have told us - also feel free to tell her that I sent you!

7. Widdershins3

Widdershins3 Active Member

Megan, I'm so glad you found your way here. You may be stuck for now in a spiritual wasteland, but there are so many, many books written by the kind of people who would understand and support you. Start with Roberta's books and do some searches on Amazon or on your library site on topics like psychic gifts, life after death or spiritualism. I'm not sure about your state, but in many places in the US you can put in a request for a particular book at your local library and it's sent from other larger libraries for you to borrow. I was extremely psychic at your age (mainly precognitive), but I was lucky to have a circle of friends and acquaintances who supported my spiritual growth. And there were a number of psychics and mediums within an easy drive who I could consult and get advice from and, even more important, encouragement. Maybe this site will do that for you--I hope so. Are there any little New Age bookstores near you? I'd love to see you make face-to-face friendships that would help you to grow and develop your abilities.

8. meganmachinegun

I have been doing lots of reading lately into those subjects. I have also been practicing daily meditation. From what I can find the closest new age bookstores are a state away from me. My local library is lacking, so much of my reading has been through Amazon. I would love to meet people near me for support and friendship, I think people who understand would be wonderful. Especially, since my family believes psychic abilities are signs sent from the devil. I believe that the meditation is strengthening my abilities, and I have had some more experiences since I was last here, not sure what I'd call them but they were pretty strange. Any books you could recommend would be great. I'm learning more and more by the day.

9. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

Hi Megan and welcome to the forum. I can only share with you what I know or have learned.
    It was said that I am an "empath" who can "feel" others emotions or feelings but, thanks to psychotherapy, I realize that I feel my own hidden or repressed emotions which can seem to be coming from others but are actually inside of me. I may be an "empath" but my own early childhood bottled up and suppressed feelings are what I feel mostly. This all came from emotional therapy which revealed and array of hidden and repressed early childhood feelings that began to re-appear later in life. So I now see that while I might "sense" the feelings/thoughts of others, they are most likely my own thoughts/feelings being triggered by others or other things. If I become anxious, angry, frightened sad or even happy, it's due to what is already hiding inside of me more than what is coming from others or other things.
    As for books and references, look up James Van Praagh for deep and interesting insights into the Psychic and spiritual world or realms. I have found great benefits from both spiritual/metaphysical and psychology or para-psychology studies. Many apparently spiritual or mystical experiences are actually psychological events stemming from hidden or repressed feelings from early childhood. It's deep and interesting so enjoy the adventure of understanding your self (and others) through psychic/spiritual or psychological studies. Many reading resources are available now on line so you won't have to buy a lot of books.
    good luck..............

10. mac

mac helper Staff Member

This is one of the few occasions where ideas and thoughts from jimrich are strongly resonating with me. It confirms something communicated to me earlier this week which I have hesitated to write about because of the sensitive nature of the subject.