1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Hello

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Robin, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Robin

Robin New Member

Just a quick hello to all. I’ve been reading through the Carol and Mikey threads so although not contributing I’ve been on the forum a while! Those threads really are quite a resource so I’d like to give a thank you to Carol and Mikey for all the time and effort they must have spent on them and also to the other members who contributed with their questions.

2. mac

mac Staff Member

welcome to ALF :)

We're glad you've enjoyed the long and long-running C&M threads but there are many other threads here on ALF that are also great resources. They offer interesting ideas and points of view on many other subjects and I hope you'll spend a little time reading some of those also.

3. Robin

Robin New Member

Thanks for the welcome. I certainly will have a good look around. I probably come from a position of hope rather than belief at the moment so I find the information, experiences and viewpoints on this forum very interesting and helpful.

4. mac

mac Staff Member

What are you hoping for?

5. Robin

Robin New Member

The hope is that the afterlife is real and the loved ones we lose are not really lost. A hope that I think is shared by many. To believe that would be a wonderful thing. For me it would probably require my sense of reason to point me in that direction after a good deal of research on the subject. I’m not one for blind belief. A look at organised religion shows me the dangers of that!

jobun likes this.
  6. mac

mac Staff Member

I understand. Some, perhaps many, here may be looking and hoping for confidence about our survival beyond death. If it's an academic interest, rather than brought about by bereavement for example, it may be harder to find what's needed. I don't know because I've not been in that position but it's sometimes what seems to be the case. Mainstream religion rarely has anything helpful to offer individuals in either group and belief or faith isn't something I favor.

Whichever group you're in, or if you're in neither, research and study is in my view the best way to try to move forward.

jobun likes this.
  7. Robin

Robin New Member

Good points. I’ve experienced debilitating grief. Hard to avoid in this life but I suppose the truth is the truth whatever way you come at it and it is either to be revealed to us or it’s not.

8. mac

mac Staff Member

It's not a matter of it being revealed because it wasn't - and isn't - concealed.

Robin likes this.