1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Hello & questions

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Geooorge, May 13, 2015.

1. Geooorge

Geooorge New Member

Hey, I'm George, I joined this forum to investigate the subject of reincarnation. I'd like to believe that there's something more to death than just ceasing to exist. Otherwise, half my life had gone..I've not lived my life to the fullest & time seems to disappear far too quickly & I'm scared of losing family as they continue to age & I realise that I have less time left with them than I'd like.

Can I ask questions here? So that I can understand the logic of reincarnation and know more on the subject.

Thanks

2. marmaladecat

marmaladecat Guest

Hi Geooorge! Welcome to the afterlife forums. :D

3. Geooorge

Geooorge New Member

Thanks

So my questions..

1.) afterlife sounds like a fairy tale to comfort those scared of death. Why should I be convinced that an afterlife/reincarnation exists?
    2.) they say that people have afterlife memories to the age of 6, so..why do babies cry so much when they don't know anything? Surely if they had past life recollection & consciousness, they'd be calmer?
    3.) psychics have often been dismissed, is there any irrefutable evidence? That doesn't rely on body language, being staged or that the psychic wasn't clued up ahead of time?
    4.) past life recollection might not indicate the same consciousness, it could just be a set of attached memories, what makes the consciousness so? And other than identity, would I be 'me' or could the soul just be like a battery and not really attached as 'me'

Those are my questions for now. Sorry to ask them but I really want to find out more, so that I might make a more reasoned decision as to whether I believe or not. Thanks

4. Geooorge

Geooorge New Member

I have read that souls have different she's, depending upon the number of incarnations.

I think mine is very young. I feel scared of death & feel like I cling to the people that I love which would theoretically be the case if I have a young soul.

5. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Dear Geooorge, to answer your questions:

1) There is an extraordinary amount of evidence of the afterlife, and it is entirely consistent. If you will send me your email address - to rgrimes@robertagrimes.com - I will be happy to send you a PDF of my book, The Fun of Dying.

2) Apparently babies cry precisely BECAUSE they can remember where they came from! We are told that for many of them, their primary thought as infants is, "Good grief, how could I have gotten myself into this AGAIN??"

3) I also have trouble believing in mediums. But Gary Schwartz's wonderful 2003 book, The Afterlife Experiments, convinced me that the phenomenon is real, even if some mediums are not. I urge you to read and learn from his work!

4) Past-life memories are among the less compelling kinds of evidence for an afterlife, dear, as you'll see if you read The Fun of Dying. And to confuse you further, in fact ultimately we are all one being, so your quibble over whether those other lives really are "you" or not is an insightful one!

I hope this helps, dear Geooorge. And don't hesitate to ask questions. We all are here hoping that you will ask questions so we can give you answers!

6. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

Hi Geooorge, and welcome to the forum.

I will give you my opinions regarding your questions (and please bear in mind that all the answers you will receive to these questions, from me or anyone else, are opinions).

1.) afterlife sounds like a fairy tale to comfort those scared of death. Why should I be convinced that an afterlife/reincarnation exists?
    --> I don't see why you should be convinced. It is possible that there is a real afterlife; if there is, it could be as described by any religion, or by none of them. It is also possible that there is no afterlife, and that when we die that's the end. It is also possible that reincarnation exists; I suppose if it does, that would indicate the existence of an afterlife, because where else would souls reside in between lives? Ultimately, though, it is up to you to decide what feels right to you, what you believe in. It's fine to consider other peoples' opinions and other peoples' research, but the final decision on what to believe is up to you.

2.) they say that people have afterlife memories to the age of 6, so..why do babies cry so much when they don't know anything? Surely if they had past life recollection & consciousness, they'd be calmer?
    --> Babies cry because they are hungry, they cry because they want to be cuddled, they cry because they are too warm or too cold, they cry because they have diapers loaded with poop. If there is an afterlife and/or reincarnation, then maybe on occasion a baby cries because of something to do with that, but on the whole I think it's a mistake to ascribe more to it than hunger, temperature, attention, or poop.

3.) psychics have often been dismissed, is there any irrefutable evidence? That doesn't rely on body language, being staged or that the psychic wasn't clued up ahead of time?
    --> I am not aware of any irrefutable evidence, though it is possible some exists. I would never say that there are no legitimate mediums, because I don't think it is possible for any human to know that for sure (just as I don't believe it's possible for any human to know for sure whether god exists, or whether an afterlife exists). I do think that there are mediums who believe in what they are doing, who believe they are genuinely relaying communications from dead loved ones -- whether they actually are or not, I don't know. And of course there are also scammers.

4.) past life recollection might not indicate the same consciousness, it could just be a set of attached memories, what makes the consciousness so? And other than identity, would I be 'me' or could the soul just be like a battery and not really attached as 'me'
    --> If reincarnation exists, then I suppose anything is possible...personally, however, I do not believe that we are all ultimately one being. If reincarnation exists, then I think each individual soul remains itself, and just has different experiences during each life. However, I hope reincarnation does not exist, or at least that if it does we each always have the choice as to whether or not to partake.

7. phae

phae New Member

Hi Geooorge,
    I'm new too, and share a lot of the same sentiments. I look forward to reading the responses in this thread.

8. Nano

Nano New Member

Hello there!

1. It is very possible that the afterlife doesn't exist. We have evidence to suggest that NDE is simply a dying dream, but we also have anecdotes to suggest that we are reincarnated...Basically, we can't be sure no matter what anybody says.
    2.Babies are crying because they could be in pain...Not able to express themselves...or maybe the thought of everlasting reincarnation terrifies them. Could be simple or complex..
    3.Some psychics actually say the name of the dead person..How they died...Among other things. I have never seen one myself.
    4.Memories children pick up on could just be "data" left behind from those that died before us.

one thing I hope is that after we die, we aren't forced to incarnate. That sounds horrifying.

9. Waller

Waller Banned

Let's say you are right. Is this a bad thing?

If you have done your homework, truly researched Stevenson/Tucker and a plethora of other sources (NDE, OBE, ET communications, ADC and a host of other subjects directly and peripherally related) and then, and only then, come to the conclusion that there is no reincarnation, then you have the correct answer...for you.

Think about this. If you were, say 6 mos yoa, and you are having past-life memories, when you have your hands full just trying to make the day through in this confusing physical irreality, what would you do?

Tons of it. Go find it. Open your own presents. ;)

You are a single consciousness with multiple 'lives' or personalities.

Sorry? For what?

Check your definition of self-worth.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  10. Waller

Waller Banned

Oh, and Geoooorge, there is no such thing as a past life, btw and no reincarnation either. Expect to receive facts here not just opinions.

You know what they say about opinions, yes? :D

Last edited: May 14, 2015