1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ever noticed the smell of someone that has died?

Discussion in 'Afterlife Evidence' started by annabanana87, Apr 27, 2015.

1. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

For some reason, this sort of sign seems to be fairly easy for them to give to us. It's notable that in fact the scent is in your mind; if others are nearly, they won't smell it unless the scent-sign is meant for someone else as well. I recall one fellow telling me that he and his wife once smelled his grandmother's special stew cooking in her vacant house. They both smelled it, but then he said, "Nah - I don't believe it!" Instantly, he could no longer smell it, although for his wife the smell continued.

2. poeticblue

poeticblue Moderator

I think the scent Nirvana smelt was weed.

3. magnolia

magnolia Member

Walking through my own house, I've smelt my grandmother's perfume and the distinctive talc powder smell of her bathroom. I don't wear the same perfume and don't use talc or anything with that scent in my house. She died in 1999 and has never been in my house. The distinctive scents immediately drop me into a secure, warm feeling of being back with her.

4. magnolia

magnolia Member

Time stops in its tracks when it happens.

5. RobertaGrimes

Thank you for sharing this story! I find it fascinating that she has been gone for nearly 20 years, since many afterlife experts - and even some of the dead - believe that scent-sighs don't happen beyond the first year or two after a death. For these to continue for so long is rare and wonderful - you are especially blessed!

6. magnolia

magnolia Member

I wonder why that is? Those in the afterlife let us know they're still with us (and with their descendants) via medium readings etc, so I wonder why they stop using scents so soon after physical death?

7. RobertaGrimes

You know, I have wondered about that as well. But the process involves their producing in our minds a distinctive scent, and perhaps the memory of that scent fades as they become immersed in their afterlife joys. And you, dear, are getting these signs much later, so I am coming to think there are exceptions to what we used to think was the rule!

8. magnolia

magnolia Member

That makes sense Roberta, it sounds like there are plenty of distractions and amazing things to learn about and enjoy there!

9. lybg

lybg New Member

This happened about a month after my loved one passed...
    I was driving to work with the AC on when I smelled cigarette smoke. I knew immediately I was being visited...this vehicle had never had anyone smoke in it, ever. It was his smell. I had to laugh at myself because I fussed at him for smoking in heaven (cancer killed him), but then thanked him for visiting and loving me...then told him I loved him and would always. At that time the smoke smell disappeared.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  10. RobertaGrimes

Cigarette smoke is a good one, isn't it? I got it from my brother-in-law soon after he died. Clean breath, total gag from the smoke-smell, then clean breath again. I live my life in this field, so you would have thought it would have felt normal to me to have something like that happen, but actually it freaked me out!

11. Amore

Amore Member

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I want to add my experience.
    Last year I received photos of my deceased father whom I had not met in real life, nor had I ever seen photos of him. Instantly I felt that I already know him and had been looking for him all my life. A strong love connection ... my heart was overjoyed! Then, he visited me twice, once in a dream and once in my home. I went into my kitchen one night and just felt him standing there. It was a strong knowing that he's here. With that feeling came a kind of earthy, musky scent, very sensual and appealing. It hung around for a while. I think he was trying to let me know him better since we had not met in our earthly lives, and the scent helped with that.
    He died long ago, in the 70s.

12. mac

mac host

Often when I'm sitting on the sofa typing about my 'spooks' stuff (spooks as in ghosts-spooks) I get the whiff of cigarette smoke which lasts a few seconds but then disappears. My mother smoked like a chimney in her last years and I wonder if she comes visiting to see what I'm doing.

I hope that's the reason rather than that she's not quite made it to the place I promised her she'd be after she passed over.... :(

13. RobertaGrimes

Dear, I think it's not possible for people who haven't completed their transitions to give us signs this way. On the other hand, giving us scent-signs is easy for those who have recently transitioned (it seems to be less common after the first year or two, but not impossible). So I'm sure that she's fine!

14. mac

mac host

I appreciate your trying to reassure me. It's a subject about which I know nothing. I'd always assumed it might sometimes, at least, be an incidental occurrence rather than necessarily a discarnate visitor deliberately signaling their presence.

15. RobertaGrimes

Scent-signs have happened to me with two different relatives. When I was in my mid-teens, for a year after my grandmother's death I repeatedly smelled her characteristic scent: it was something like lilies-of-the-valley with a bit of lilacs thrown in. Everywhere. For a year. This was long before I knew anything about anything, but it happened so often and the scent was so strong that it stuck in my mind for decades... until I learned about the post-death scent-sign and immediately realized what that had been. Then, about fifteen years ago, I visited my sister and was setting down my suitcase in the room that had been my recently-deceased brother-in-law's study. He had been a smoker, but he had smoked mostly outdoors and that room hadn't smelled of smoke before his death; but I had such a sudden, overwhelming scent of cigarette smoke that it was as if someone had blown it right in my face. It made me gag. Then I never smelled smoke there again.

As best I have been able to determine, this is how it happens. It''s unexpected and surprising, and it is not subtle! And apparently it happens in our minds and not in the room. I had come to suspect this was the case, and then someone told me a story of entering her recently-deceased grandmother's house with her husband beside her and having them both smell Grandma's trademark stew cooking. The scent was so strong that they remarked of it to one another. They both were sure they were going to go into the kitchen and see a pot on the stove. But then her husband said, "That's crazy! She's dead!" And he told her that in that instant, the smell disappeared. For her, it continued until they reached the kitchen and saw nothing cooking, whereupon she also could no longer smell it.

Producing scents in our minds is apparently a pretty easy trick for the newly-dead to learn, but for some reason it usually doesn't happen after the first year or two post-death. Either our loved ones lose touch with that once-familiar scent, or we lose our familiarity with it; or else they move on to do other things. But it seems to be fairly common during that first year or two, and it can happen within days after the death.

16. mac

mac host

That was interesting, Roberta - thanks for the explanation. It appeals to my reason... ;)

17. amina89

amina89 Member

I feel this smell from time to time when it comes to my grandmother,she died 11 years ago,maternal grandmother gave me her biggest sign 12 years after she passed as well(in a dream) ..she did visit me few months after death and then again 12 years later

i think they do not forget us,and keep showing sing,but maybe we move on and so they do too,but every now and then they will visit