1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone ever noticed the smell of someone that has died?

Discussion in 'Afterlife Evidence' started by annabanana87, Apr 27, 2015.

1. annabanana87

annabanana87 New Member

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  2. ravensgate

ravensgate Member

I do not know how many people may have experienced it, but I have, on several occasions :)

3. ravensgate

ravensgate Member

Forgot to add that in most cases you can also pick up the smell of a person who is close to death, but that has a physiological explanation :)

4. janef

janef Moderator

I have never had the experience, and I cant think of a distinct 'smell' from anyone that passed that I would recognize, except my best friend Gloria who always used Channel #5. I never smelt it tho... I finally bought some just so I could feel her presence. :)

5. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

It is common for people to get smells associated with a dead loved one during the first year after a death, but quite rare thereafter. In my case, it was my grandmother's distinctive perfume and my brother-in-law's overwhelming cigarette smoke. The scent is produced in our minds - not in the room - and it tends to feel quite dramatic!

6. ravensgate

ravensgate Member

Don't know if you heard/read about a certain cat who can tell when a nursing home resident is approaching the end of his/her days on Earth. It's somewhere in the USA, but forget the exact location. The cat spends his time close to the dying person until the resident expires. Staff may shoo it away, but the cat always returns to the patient.

7. Nirvana

Nirvana Member

I smelled my grandpa's pipe tobacco when I asked him for a sign, walking outside after midnight

8. ravensgate

ravensgate Member

Wonder how often the odours we smell are imprints of/from the past as we know it. In our home there are times when you can smell wood burning in the living room fireplace, though we do not burn wood in that one - or in any of the other fireplaces. Sometimes I smell cigars, other times it is flowers, even when there are no flowers in bloom. We are used to it now..... Lots of activity there, :D

9. marmaladecat

marmaladecat Member

I'd heard about this account too; fascinating story!
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5aRpnT2baw

10. Waller

Waller Senior Member

We co-create our pseudo-reality through our consciousness, yes. It has been speculated that as our 'memory' of events, people, etc. deteriorates, there is less information in the physical mind to use to access prior sensory experiences.

'Memory' is bunk but, hey, each to his own! :D

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  11. ravensgate

ravensgate Member

Annabanana87, I could be wrong, but I wonder if the olfactory, auditory and visual experiences diminish in frequency because they were time imprints. However, I wonder how one could distinguish between a visitation and an imprint (besides waiting decades, lol).

12. RobertaGrimes

It's interesting that a scent-sign is being given so many years later! Nearly all reports suggest that they don't happen after the first year, but there is no reason that should be a hard-and-fast rule. Few of the dead are still giving recognizable signs a full decade later, but that was when my brother-and-law began to give his most spectacular signs (even responding on cue). Isn't all of this fascinating and amazing??

13. Flossie

Flossie Member

I have heard people talk about this a lot of the years - a sudden smell without any source where it's come from.
    One thing that comes to mind is the week after my father in law died. My daughter was 13 then and we had had a few words and she went up to her bedroom crying. I let her calm down a while and then went to check she was okay. Her bedroom door was closed and when I went inside the smell of hospital disinfectant was heavy in the room. My mum in law had been given some of this disinfectant to use at home before he was taken into hospital. There was no reason for this smell to be in our house. It was just in the room and was so intense it hit me when I walked in. I really felt his presence there. It didn't last long. Maybe five or ten mins.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  14. blissfulabyss

blissfulabyss New Member

I don't think I've ever had this happen to me. Many times I'll be reminded of a loved one because of a passing smell or the smell of their clothes etc. I only recently found out that the scent I thought was particular to my grandmother was the smell of something that prevents moth balls from forming! Strange yes, but the smell still brings back a flood of memories of her nonetheless. I wonder how it is possible to smell a scent without any source. Would this be more mental and physical, I wonder.

15. ShingingLight1967

ShingingLight1967 Active Member

I dont know if this counts in this discussion topic but...

My husband would make his breakfast the night before to take to work the next day after I went to bed for the evening. It was usually something like an egg and sausage or bacon sandwich. About a month or so after he passed I had gone to bed for the evening and had the distinct smell of bacon cooking was coming up from the kitchen downstairs. I wasnt asleep, just winding down from the day and smelled cooking. So much so that I had to get up and see if I could pinpoint where it was coming from.

It's happened a couple of times in the past few months, and I kind of chuckle to myself when it happens.

16. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

That's lovely, ShingingLight. I think it's an appropriate addition to this thread. :)

17. ShingingLight1967

Thanks bluebird... hope you are doing well today.

18. RobertaGrimes

Dear, this is a wonderful example of an olfactory communication! They are most common in the year or two after someone's death, and then they are extremely common: I got whiffs of my brother-in-law's cigarette smoke, for example, and of my grandmother's distinctive perfume. What a gift! Whenever something like this happens, it's good to say aloud, "Thank you - please do it again!" That seems to provide them with additional energy and inspire them to keep on doing it.

19. ShingingLight1967

It's a pretty fitting form of communication from him. When it would happen I would smile because it made me feel so normal, but of course, it was hard because it was another reminder.

I hope I get another one so that I can tell him thank you and please do it again.

20. Nirvana

Nirvana Member

I smelled my Grandpa's pipe-tobacco after asking him for a sign