1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

"God"

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by StoleNelotS, Dec 29, 2010.

1. I was raised a christian and fell out of it pretty early on. Mainly because of how the bible discribed God: jealous, cold, cruel, and all sorts of nasty things. So how does the "nice" afterlife you talk about work under a horrible god like the one in teh bible? Or is the bible wrong??

2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

The afterlife evidence is utterly consistent in showing us that God does exist - in fact, nothing else but God exists! - but the genuine God has little in common with the God of the Bible. The real God is absolutely loving and forgiving and is infinitely powerful energy - God is not human, and never takes human form. God has no human vices, either: God is never jealous, cold, cruel, nasty, or in any way vindictive. So, yes, the Bible gets God wrong in a lot of the details. An easy way to think of it is that the Bible documents man's search for God, so the Bible sees God in human terms: it assumes that whatever is true of human beings must also be true of God, in spades! The words of Jesus in the Gospels, though, are God's eternal search for man. You can feel safe in returning to a Christianity based just in the Gospels, and in worshiping the God of absolute love that Jesus introduces to us there.

3. i dont know about that, cuz alot of stuff in the New Testiment is pretty foul too. Like the stuff Paul says about women and basicly all of revalations. Should I just concentrate on what Jesus says? And throw the rest out?

4. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Yes. If you want to know God, don't read the whole Bible; instead, read only the Gospel red letters, which are the reported words of Jesus. When you think about it, the God that Paul espouses is not far removed from the Old Testament's Jehovah: Paul's God is mean and petty and nasty enough to need to punish Jesus for our sins. Christians are so used to this concept that they never stop to think how insulting it is to both Jesus and God!

Think about it. Your best friend deliberately does something that hurts you - steals and wrecks your car; poisons your cat; whatever. You are very, very angry with your friend, but you say, "I am having trouble forgiving you but I love you too much to condemn you. So I am going to ask my beloved only child to accept responsibility for your actions, and then I'll beat her with a belt and send her to bed without any supper."

Could you ever do something like that? Of course not. You are mature enough to work through your anger and forgive your friend. And certainly you are not nasty and petty enough to need to punish somebody so you can feel better! ... So, is it possible that you consider yourself to be more mature and more loving and more forgiving than God?

And look at what Christianity does to Jesus! The Lord tells us repeatedly in the Gospels that He is our ultimate teacher - He insists that we follow His teachings carefully - yet in mainstream Christianity, the Lord's teachings are mostly ignored. Instead, Christianity turns Jesus into a human blood-sacrifice! As the beautiful old Christmas carol says, "Jesus our Savior was born for to die."

But abundant afterlife evidence shows us a perfectly loving and forgiving God Who never judges anyone. To God, each of us is the holiest and best-beloved child of all. God and Jesus both are so much more than Christianity makes of them: God is the infinitely powerful, infinitely loving Source, and Jesus is His Son Who came to teach us the truth. Jesus said, “Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?” (LK 6:46) “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (JN 8:31-32)

5. This is a pretty reasonable approach to Christianity. A pity that so few Christians see things this way. :(