1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Getting Physical!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Ruby, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Ruby

Ruby Active Member

Anyone like me? You've lost someone and your get up and go has gone? How do you get it back? I'm talking physical fitness here. I do tai chi classes - Wudang, I love it, but I need to up my levels of physical activity! Are others the same?

2. poeticblue

poeticblue Moderator

I use to go for long walks on a trail where I lived. It was called the ‘Silver Comet Trail’ and it extended from one neighborhood to another. There were lots of scenery to look at and folks would ride their bikes, rollerblade, etc... After I had Gabby I was working on losing the 50 pounds that I gained while pregnant with her and I spent most of my time on that trail jogging. I also thought about a lot of things both in life and spiritually. I’ve dealt with depression from an early age and excercise was one of my outlets to help with the stress.

Oh and P.S, I lost the 50 pounds lol :p

3. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

From what I've picked up from others' accounts it may be desirable to try some more new exercises to see which appeal most. Losing one's 'get-up-and-go' is a natural outcome to stress and sometimes your body simply needs time to heal before energy and enthusiasm return. It's best not to push too hard but if you can find something you ENJOY doing - even if it's not a hard exercise - it's likely to be far more beneficial than pushing yourself in a more intensive regimen you don't enjoy.

My energy level has continued to fall as I've grown older. I want to do what I still enjoy doing but I get exhausted so much more quickly and I achieve less for a given level of energy expenditure. That's a situation unlikely to improve - gettin' old sucks! :D:(

4. Auras

Auras New Member

I recently lost my auntie, but even before that, I didnt feel motivated to do anything, I just about get out of bed some days, Girlfriend and her mum call me lazy, I personally don’t see it that way, I’ve had a hard childhood( I’m 20 now ) so I’m finding it hard to go out and do stuff, I find communication hard. I often say to my girlfriend that I’m bored and I want to go and do stuff but there is nothing that excites me anymore, I guess I’m just growing up lol

5. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Yes. I have been seriously depressed since my husband died six years ago; as a result, I have no desire to do anything, whether physical or otherwise. This is not uncommon.

If you are able to take part in tai chi, that's good. If you know how to swim, you might want to consider doing that as well -- it's not too hard on the body, as it's very low impact, but it's good for your muscles and for your cardiovascular system.

6. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

Check out my last post .. it talks all about getting physical!!!:D:D:D

On a more serious note you can pm me 4 thoughts...

Here they are.

I lose my drive when I lose motivation. I need something to constantly motivate me or I start rotting.

When I turned 18 that was the most productive period of my life because I literally fought for everything that I had.

Right now I am fighting to preserve it, but I'm not as motivated because I am relatively stable.

Stay motivated and you will stay physically active.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  7. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Dear Auras, I think what you are describing is depression, and emphatically it is not normal! My childhood also was not terrific and I assume I must also be grown up (I'm 72 now), yet there never has been a morning in my life when I didn't wake up excited to find another day to fill with things I wanted to do! But this hasn't just happened to me, Auras - I make it happen. I live each day seeking and finding wisdom, seeking and finding new things to know, and seeking and finding ways that I can use that wisdom and that knowledge to help other people. Here are three bits of advice that have for my whole life spurred me to jump out of bed each morning. Please print them out in big letters and post them everywhere, and read them often! A good life doesn't just happen. You make it happen! And fortunately, there is a lot of help for you if you will just surround yourself with the wisdom of the ages:

Jesus said, “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door is opened.” (LK 11:9-10)

William Blake, the great eighteenth- and nineteenth-century English poet, said, "I sought my soul, but my soul I could not see. I sought my God, but my God eluded me. I sought my brother, and I found all three."

Albert Einstein said, “Do not grow old, no matter how long you live. Never cease to stand like curious children before the great mystery into which we were born.”

kim marine and Auras like this.
  8. Auras

Auras New Member

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I’ll take what you said about depression with a grain of salt. I want to do things, I want to go out, meet new people, travel places etc. I just have no drive to do so.

I Think I’m just going to have to force myself to do stuff, simply because I’m getting bored of actually doing nothing now

9. Ruby

Ruby Active Member

It's not easy to make your way in the world today, hard to know which direction to take, but you communicate well here. As you say, you're just growing up.